Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Corporate travel is about to get harder: lower fares to be removed from legacy GDS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corporate travel is about to get harder: lower fares to be removed from legacy GDS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2024, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
Here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...NNOUNCEMENT_US

Ineligible travel:
  • Any trip booked through non-preferred travel agencies, unless youre registered with the AAdvantage Business program or have a contracted corporate agreement with American
But as is in good AA style the list of preferred travel agencies is not provided! Gosh they suck.

So not all travel but a lot of travel will need to be booked via AA
seawolf and LovePrunes like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by outgoing
But as is in good AA style the list of preferred travel agencies is not provided! Gosh they suck.
I generally defend AA, but putting out an announcement like this without the list of preferred agencies is absurd. Now corporate travelers will stew over this over the next two months until this magical list is published. Talk about poor corporate communications.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I generally defend AA, but putting out an announcement like this without the list of preferred agencies is absurd. Now corporate travelers will stew over this over the next two months until this magical list is published. Talk about poor corporate communications.
Very interesting development. Not shocking, and somewhat easy to have predicted something like this would evolve. Matches the way hotels do things.

I'm guessing DL and UA will watch and quickly match the policy if they see it possible to do so without losing too much cash
As it says on VFTW in their comments about this development: "Since we don’t know which travel agency bookings will no longer earn miles, we cannot yet assess the scope or impact of this change. For instance, if Expedia Group bookings no longer earn miles that’s huge and would be simultaneously doing two contradictory things.
  • American has been driving to reduce its sales costs, pushing people to book direct and especially online. They believe they can earn as much or more revenue at lower cost, filling planes for instance without selling tickets at a corporate discount in most cases. This leverages the AAdvantage program to encourage people to book direct.
  • However American has increasingly positioned the AAdvantage program to be appealing to occasional travelers, converting those passengers into regular and loyal customers who then take the credit card. It’s the already-loyal who book direct, while the occasional and new traveler discovers American Airlines through online travel agencies and can be converted – if they’re able to earn miles."
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:24 pm
TBD
Original Poster

Programs: All The Programs
Except the big corporate agencies are all surely "preferred"

Remember the whole point of frequent flier miles is to drive loyalty on business travel.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:31 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by TBD

Remember the whole point of frequent flier miles is to drive loyalty on business travel.
Being discussed in the other thread but basically a TA needs to be NDC capable and has to sell a certain % of AA tickets via NDC to qualify.

Unfortunately its not as cut and dry as some would hope.
Mr. BoH likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
I disagree
the whole point of frequent flier miles is to get people to spend more money loyally with the airline giving them miles, or their partners who give the airline money for the "referral" or customer acquisition,
AA doesn't care or prefer if you travel for work or for pleasure; they want your business, your money...and they make more profit on you if you're not even flying on their planes, but instead spending with their partners, so they CERTAINLY don't prefer business travel over all the other ways they make money from their loyalty program.
lowfareair and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:27 pm
TBD
Original Poster

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
I disagree
the whole point of frequent flier miles is to get people to spend more money loyally with the airline giving them miles
Well ... obviously ... but business travel can have higher margins because companies are less price sensitive than individual consumers. The GS / CK / 360s out there don't generally have such status because of frequent girls weekends in Cancun. FFPs exist to influence business travel purchasing decisions. Leisure travel loyalty comes in a distant second.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:31 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by TBD

Im convinced the only business travel AA cares about at this point are:

(1) hub captives
(2) those living in mid-sized cities which are not hubs for any airline and generally need to connect

Remember, the schedule is the product now
percysmith and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
Well ... obviously ... but business travel can have higher margins because companies are less price sensitive than individual consumers. The GS / CK / 360s out there don't generally have such status because of frequent girls weekends in Cancun. FFPs exist to influence business travel purchasing decisions. Leisure travel loyalty comes in a distant second.
You know what actually has the highest margin for AA?
NOT FLYING IN THEIR PLANES.
Not flying in their planes on biz travel.
Not flying in their planes on girls' weekend or guys' trip.

Their ONLY profits are from everything Not related to airline tickets. They lose less money from the GS/CK/360 types but they lose money.

So speaking of "coming in a distant second," it's ALL the TRAVEL on AA. People who fly on biz trips and less price sensitive may think of themselves as more important, but that's for a different thread.
They earn profit from AAdvantage, and that's it. Pretty well established from their financial reporting, but I can find it if you don't believe me.

Remember: It's a bank with a fleet of airplanes.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 9:11 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
Originally Posted by outgoing
Here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...NNOUNCEMENT_US

Ineligible travel:
  • Any trip booked through non-preferred travel agencies, unless youre registered with the AAdvantage Business program or have a contracted corporate agreement with American

So not all travel but a lot of travel will need to be booked via AA

Well, I have to hand it to their communications team for boldness when they make that statement in their notice that "booking with us provides a better travel experience. You can manage your trip online...."

I have to laugh at that given all the times I have to call an AA agent as their online system can't handle the simplest of changes.
dw, fotoflyer88 and Antarius like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 9:24 pm

i don't get the principle by which no one gives Hyatt sh!t for not rewarding cheapskate bookings, but AA is the big baddie now. You want rewards credit, book direct or Prive or AMEXFHR or Virtuoso or Corporate GDS.
LovePrunes and Antarius like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 10:12 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by 1kprem
Well, I have to hand it to their communications team for boldness when they make that statement in their notice that "booking with us provides a better travel experience. You can manage your trip online...."

I have to laugh at that given all the times I have to call an AA agent as their online system can't handle the simplest of changes.
Not the only company to engage in doublespeak We're Updating Our Flight Award Charts
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:10 am

You know nothing about NDC strategy, implementation, and how it works, do you???

Originally Posted by murphy
It sounds to me like American is trying to replace an outdated legacy system with a modern system, and the GDS are dragging their feet. American is incentivized to do it because they think it will be more profitable for them. The giant GDS companies see it as a huge cost with little or no upside, so they are dragging their feet. Seems like one of three things will happen: 1) the gds will get off their asses and implement it because they need the business 2) the gds will be replaced by new, hungry competitors who dont have to deal with the legacy business or 3) American will find that it needs the gds more then they need AA, and will backtrack.

This is the reason the ancient IT in the video that was posted exists. Replacing legacy systems is hard and expensive, and inertia is a powerful force. Things dont usually change until some huge player decides it will be profitable to do so.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:14 am

The agency gave u bad information. There is NDC, but there are still edifact booking.

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
I was talking to our corporate travel agency about all of this. They have a feeling AA is either going to add the fares back to the traditional GDS soon, or accelerate the changes necessary for them to better integrate on the new system. Apparently there has been a greater than expected impact to AA's bottom line by removing these fares and corporate clients booking away from them.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:18 am

While I generally agree with what I said, you missed an important part of the the requirements to be a preferred agency. See the details in the link. Not all agencies qualify at this point and those/others have a date certain to implement booking flow changes. So a list today would not ve as effective and by leaving off age cues that are in the process could get AA in done for water.

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.