Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Corporate travel is about to get harder: lower fares to be removed from legacy GDS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corporate travel is about to get harder: lower fares to be removed from legacy GDS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2023, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Acidity
Emphasis added.

I'm sure you know this, but for anyone else reading this: this is why fares without a Saturday night stay over are more expensive (business travelers are less price sensitive but less likely to stay on Saturday), and why fully refundable fares tend to be so massively more expensive (again, more likely to be business travelers).
But what were saying is illegal is AA or any other airline offering Joe at Big Company a refundable fare without a Saturday night stay for $450, offering Joan a single member LLC small business owner without a profit the same fare for $325, Carl the high net worth retiree who spends freely on dining, new cars and clothing the same fare for $525, and Kristin, the unemployed single mother the same fare for $225 - all simultaneously - because their revenue management system accessed thousands of data points on these customers and their employers the moment they started their fare search, and estimated how much each was able and willing to pay for the same ticket.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
But what were saying is illegal is AA or any other airline offering Joe at Big Company a refundable fare without a Saturday night stay for $450, offering Joan a single member LLC small business owner without a profit the same fare for $325, Carl the high net worth retiree who spends freely on dining, new cars and clothing the same fare for $525, and Kristin, the unemployed single mother the same fare for $225 - all simultaneously - because their revenue management system accessed thousands of data points on these customers and their employers the moment they started their fare search, and estimated how much each was able and willing to pay for the same ticket.
Yeah I know, I was providing additional context that airlines (and many other businesses) already engage in (legal) imperfect price discrimination, to partially make up for the their inability (both legally and practically) to perfectly price discriminate.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 11:16 am

Programs: AA PlatPro (LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTG), HH Diamond
This hit me for the first time this week. Multiple itineraries in F pricing out at between $490 and $520 on aa.com were all pricing out at $911 via my travel agency and Concur. They can't even see the lower fares. I still do not understand how this is legal.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by chriseng
This hit me for the first time this week. Multiple itineraries in F pricing out at between $490 and $520 on aa.com were all pricing out at $911 via my travel agency and Concur. They can't even see the lower fares. I still do not understand how this is legal.
What exactly do you think should be prohibited?
seawolf, USFlyerUS and Beltway2A like this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 1:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AA offers access to all fares with NDC. Your agency is not willing/unable to implement NDC to access those fares.
USFlyerUS and LovePrunes like this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
How would it be illegal? Businesses have a right to choose the distribution venues for its products. Just take a look at the ULCCs. In this case, AA is choosing not to offer certain products through vendors who do not meet certain criteria. This happens in business all the time, every day. None of these products are unavailable to consumers direct through AA or through a TA that has adapted.

There's an easy solution for this: Put pressure on your CTA to adapt or find a new CTA.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 4:38 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
How would it be illegal? Businesses have a right to choose the distribution venues for its products. Just take a look at the ULCCs. In this case, AA is choosing not to offer certain products through vendors who do not meet certain criteria. This happens in business all the time, every day. None of these products are unavailable to consumers direct through AA or through a TA that has adapted.

There's an easy solution for this: Put pressure on your CTA to adapt or find a new CTA.
If you are the head of your company this may not necessarily apply to you. You could ask your company if you can purchase the tickets yourself directly from aa.com. Then you can manage your own booking. Of course, you may find that terribly inconvenient as aa.com doesnt make managing your booking convenient especially if you have to engage their agents to help you. But those are the things you take on when you deal directly with the airline in order to get the savings.

The reason the CTA may not be participating with AA NDC bookings is the process of handling those bookings is not yet as streamlined as the GDS bookings. You can attribute that to AAs lack of planning or a GDS companys lack of planning or the CTA saying its not worth their effort. But your company should have a way to allow you to book on your own. Thats not a CTAs responsibility. That belongs to your company. Or your company can find an agency that takes on that responsibility.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
AA offers access to all fares with NDC. Your agency is not willing/unable to implement NDC to access those fares.
BINGO
the agencies unable/unwilling are the problem. AA has changed how it distributes/sells, and it's still for sale to anyone. You can always call AA or book it yourself online without the agency.
The agencies don't like you going around them or the employers don't want you going rogue and booking without the agency.
The agencies are too cheap to update their tech, or standing on some sort of illusionary "principle" many of us find laughable.
I'm enjoying corporate "natural selection" at work here, as agencies try and hang on by their fingernails to an old business model, when the situation is something they have to either adapt to or simply acknowledge they've lost their value proposition.
I don't think many agency peeps on here are going to admit defeat, but it's fun to watch, so I'm making more popcorn.
USFlyerUS likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 6:09 pm

I cannot understand how it would not be legal - if the agency doesn't want to use the booking method that alllows access to those lower fares, then the agency customer cannot get them that way.
If your company insists on using the agency for booking, then book the higher fare and enjoy the higher LP earnings - or book on another carrier
Old Aug 8, 2023, 4:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
This thread isn't about the legality of removing fares from GDS view or only showing certain fares via NDC, so let's stay on topic and keep things relevant to flying AA and earning on AAdvantage.

~Moderator
Old Feb 20, 2024, 9:15 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Seeing the impact of this now on our CTA. The only AA fares available to purchase are ~200 - 300 higher than what is on aa.com, and of course the AA fares are much higher than United. I'm not sure what I will do.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 9:59 am

an easy decision for me to not renew amex biz plat, as now $0.0154 in value per amex mr point redeemed for paid AA first class is essentially no mas
Old Feb 20, 2024, 11:37 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
FYI American will now require everyone to buy tickets on their website in order to earn ANY miles going forward.

Certain travel agencies like ours are exempt from this restriction, but it appears this is the final blow to their relationship with travel advisors.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
(deleted)

Last edited by USFlyerUS; Feb 20, 2024 at 11:48 am
Old Feb 20, 2024, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
FYI American will now require everyone to buy tickets on their website in order to earn ANY miles going forward.

Certain travel agencies like ours are exempt from this restriction, but it appears this is the final blow to their relationship with travel advisors.
would love to see the source for this claim. i mean it's their right if they want to, but have not heard of this new development you stated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.