Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Corporate travel is about to get harder: lower fares to be removed from legacy GDS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corporate travel is about to get harder: lower fares to be removed from legacy GDS

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2023, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
I use egencia for my work travels. AA is always the cheapest option for just about every location I fly to.
Old May 29, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
I hope this gets resolved soon. For the third time in a month, I had to book on a carrier other than AA and pay a fare higher than AA sells on their own website, just because the lowest AA fare wasn't available through our corporate travel agency (BCD).

Here I am, a willing customer, happy to pay a fare equivalent to what a competitor is charging, but AA is not interested in my business because I am booking through an agent. If this keeps happening, I may need to revisit my loyalty strategy - there is no point maintaining elite status on an airline I can't fly.. AA, are you paying attention?
Old May 29, 2023, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
I hope this gets resolved soon. For the third time in a month, I had to book on a carrier other than AA and pay a fare higher than AA sells on their own website, just because the lowest AA fare wasn't available through our corporate travel agency (BCD).
We also use BCD, and I still haven't seen any change as a result of this. AA fares are still the same as if not lower than other carriers on most every route I fly. Maybe it's because I'm typically booking 3-7 days out?
Old May 29, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
We also use BCD, and I still haven't seen any change as a result of this. AA fares are still the same as if not lower than other carriers on most every route I fly. Maybe it's because I'm typically booking 3-7 days out?
It is definitely hit and miss. Some fares are identical to the AA site while others are $100-$200+ higher. I haven’t figured out the pattern but it seems like the lowest fares get pruned. Perhaps booking that close in the lowest fares are already gone anyway?
Old May 29, 2023, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
It is definitely hit and miss. Some fares are identical to the AA site while others are $100-$200+ higher. I haven’t figured out the pattern but it seems like the lowest fares get pruned. Perhaps booking that close in the lowest fares are already gone anyway?
That's what I'm thinking -- or the lower fares are no longer applicable due to advance purchase requirements.
Old May 29, 2023, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Here I am, a willing customer, happy to pay a fare equivalent to what a competitor is charging, but AA is not interested in my business because I am booking through an agent. If this keeps happening, I may need to revisit my loyalty strategy - there is no point maintaining elite status on an airline I can't fly.. AA, are you paying attention?
This is something that is for BCD to address - or - if your company thinks it is important to perhaps switch to a different travel agency
Old May 30, 2023, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
This is something that is for BCD to address - or - if your company thinks it is important to perhaps switch to a different travel agency
Well… maybe. I think it is an open question whose “fault” this situation is and who should be addressing. But AA is clearly losing business because of it, which I would think they would be concerned about.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well… maybe. I think it is an open question whose “fault” this situation is and who should be addressing. But AA is clearly losing business because of it, which I would think they would be concerned about.
From what seems to have been mentioned, it seems that AA has informed agencied in advance of the change - it isn't AA's fault where agencies have chosen not to play along. I would expect that AA is monitoring sales from agencies and seeing any changes
Old May 30, 2023, 7:57 am

But AA is clearly losing business because of it, which I would think they would be concerned about.
Maybe, maybe not. I have yet to see an empty AA plane since this went into effect, so perhaps the business is being made up by others booking tickets? It's really hard for any of us to tell without seeing internal data.
Old May 31, 2023, 6:08 am
TBD
Original Poster

Programs: All The Programs
Maybe, maybe not. I have yet to see an empty AA plane since this went into effect, so perhaps the business is being made up by others booking tickets? It's really hard for any of us to tell without seeing internal data.
That doesn't mean things are going well. AA is chasing BoH away despite offers to pay a premium to remain on AA. The person occupying that seat might have been the only one to jump at the lower fares directly on AA website.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
From what seems to have been mentioned, it seems that AA has informed agencied in advance of the change - it isn't AA's fault where agencies have chosen not to play along. I would expect that AA is monitoring sales from agencies and seeing any changes
Here we go again...
The USPS declared they will only start delivering my mail to a box one mile from my house. I guess that's OK since they informed me in advance.
ijgordon and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old May 31, 2023, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by TBD
That doesn't mean things are going well. AA is chasing BoH away despite offers to pay a premium to remain on AA. The person occupying that seat might have been the only one to jump at the lower fares directly on AA website.
No one here really knows. Even if this were true, the lower costs of distribution might offset this. Or, those CTAs with the necessary capability (they do exist) are selling more tickets on AA as a result. We're all guessing. (What is BoH?)
Old May 31, 2023, 6:29 am
TBD
Original Poster

Programs: All The Programs
No one here really knows. Even if this were true, the lower costs of distribution might offset this. Or, those CTAs with the necessary capability (they do exist) are selling more tickets on AA as a result. We're all guessing. (What is BoH?)
Mr. BoH is the person up thread who isn't buying AA tickets because the lowest fares don't show up via BCD.
Old May 31, 2023, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by TBD
Mr. BoH is the person up thread who isn't buying AA tickets because the lowest fares don't show up via BCD.
I'm still wondering about BCD. We use BCD, and I have yet to see any issues, even for flights 3+ weeks out.
Old May 31, 2023, 6:41 am

I guess that is possible. But it feels like the long term equilibrium has to be either the TAs adopting their tools to show all AA fares, or AA pulling the plug on this and going back to the old way. It's hard for me to imagine a sustainable world in which every other airline has their lowest fares buyable through travel agencies but AA doesn't.
Old May 31, 2023, 6:59 am

But it feels like the long term equilibrium has to be either the TAs adopting their tools to show all AA fares ...
And some have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.