Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA gave away our seats to standby pax- advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA gave away our seats to standby pax- advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: none
Sometimes life isn’t completely fair. You should get at least two things from this experience:

1. A lesson learned/ teachable moment
2. Sympathy (which you’re getting from other FT readers)

Neither of which has much value.

The best you can hope for now is to somehow convert the sympathy into something positive.

Whe the carrier says “be at the gate at (whatever time)”it’s implied that you’re ready to actually board then. We ARE adults after all. Even if you checked in early, dropped off bags, got your passes, and got to the gate on time, the last piece of the puzzle is to get on the plane. Yes, the airline gave your seats to someone else because you didn’t board when you should.

Hopefully, you learned something (#1 above) and you have my sympathy (#2).

Decide what it is that you want, and from whom. At this date the airline can’t bring the plane back, so they won’t help. They can’t take the standbys off and you can’t blame the other passengers for taking the seats. Maybe it’s the guy who was on his phone and clogged the line ahead of you. Good luck with that.

the airline went out of their way to help after the fact, and it looks like you eventually made it home. So, get on with what’s good with your life.

sometimes life isn’t fair.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Sometimes life isn’t completely fair. You should get at least two things from this experience:

1. A lesson learned/ teachable moment
2. Sympathy (which you’re getting from other FT readers)

Neither of which has much value.

The best you can hope for now is to somehow convert the sympathy into something positive.

Whe the carrier says “be at the gate at (whatever time)”it’s implied that you’re ready to actually board then. We ARE adults after all. Even if you checked in early, dropped off bags, got your passes, and got to the gate on time, the last piece of the puzzle is to get on the plane. Yes, the airline gave your seats to someone else because you didn’t board when you should.

Hopefully, you learned something (#1 above) and you have my sympathy (#2).

Decide what it is that you want, and from whom. At this date the airline can’t bring the plane back, so they won’t help. They can’t take the standbys off and you can’t blame the other passengers for taking the seats. Maybe it’s the guy who was on his phone and clogged the line ahead of you. Good luck with that.

the airline went out of their way to help after the fact, and it looks like you eventually made it home. So, get on with what’s good with your life.

sometimes life isn’t fair.
This is ridiculous.

Boarding passes don't say "Boarding ends at [time] — or earlier, if we feel like it."
moondog, psychtobe, uanj and 11 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by js1993
This is ridiculous.

Boarding passes don't say "Boarding ends at [time] — or earlier, if we feel like it."
Exactly. And the CoC does not spell out a requirement to board at any time before T15.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by js1993
Originally Posted by Antarius
And the CoC does not spell out a requirement to board at any time before T15.
Closing boarding early and cancelling reservations seems to happen with some regularity on AA, definitely more than any of the other US majors, due principally to D0 combined with a fair number of rogue GAs. For this reason, I am especially careful with AA not to cut it as close as I will with UA, AS, or DL.

If you do wind up in this situation, with GAs closing flight early, take a pic that shows you were at the gate prior to T-15. At least you'll then have evidence that you were at the gate prior to scheduled cut-off.
moondog, wrp96, eglise and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
The AA CoC states that you must be in the boarding area 30 mins before but boarding closes 15 mins before. This is what AA is claiming - I call BS as there's no written requirement to make yourself known in between those times. You're well within your contractual rights to sit there from T30 to T16 and board.
The AA information page does state a minimum time to be at the gate, but it is 30 minutes only for international flights; for domestic flights it states 15 minutes

Originally Posted by https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/flying-with-american.jsp
You must be at the gate and ready to board the plane:

15 minutes before departure on domestic flights
30 minutes before departure for international flights

Be sure to check your boarding pass for boarding times. If you're not at the gate in time, your seat may be given to a standby passenger.

The doors close at least 10 minutes before departure. Once the door is shut, it will not be reopened unless there is health, safety or security issue.
Since the passenger was on a domestic flight, the 15 minutes requirement would apply ; The CoC wording is different and contradictory.
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 14, 2023 at 1:32 pm
Old Jan 14, 2023, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtremit
Unfortunately, "denied boarding" or "involuntary denied boarding" is a much more specific term than it would seem at first glance, and I think it's unlikely that it applies in your situation. IDB by definition requires that you be denied boarding because the plane has more ticketed passengers than available seats. Unless you can prove that the plane went out with every seat full, it would be difficult to make a case for that specific compensation
Well it’s not really clear - OP says they cleared standbys onto the flight but those could have been, say, ticketed & confirmed basic economy pax that we’re waiting for seat assignments. That AA didn’t let the OP on, albeit in different seats, suggests the flight may have in fact been oversold.

I would really love to know what "records" AA has to prove you were not in the gate area 30 minutes before departure. AFAICT the only things they would have records of are (a) the time you dropped off your bags, and (b) the time you attempted to board the plane.
I don’t know if they had (b), I don’t recall if OP said they tried to scan their BPs or were verbally told it’s too late. Maybe they did try to scan. But there would also be (c) the time they were removed from the flight and other pax assigned to their seats. That would be critical, if that happened before T-15.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well it’s not really clear - OP says they cleared standbys onto the flight but those could have been, say, ticketed & confirmed basic economy pax that we’re waiting for seat assignments. That AA didn’t let the OP on, albeit in different seats, suggests the flight may have in fact been oversold.
If passengers who were standing by were able to be cleared onto the flight, then the flight wasn't oversold
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The AA information page does state a minimum time to be at the gate, but it is 30 minutes only for international flights; for domestic flights it states 15 minutes

Since the passenger was on a domestic flight, the 15 minutes requirement would apply ; The CoC wording is different and contradictory.
In typical AA fashion, the CoC contradicts the webpage that you cited. It says

Arriving at the gate

Be at the gate and ready to board the plane at least:
  • 30 minutes before departure on domestic flights
  • 45 minutes before departure for international flights
You must have a boarding pass with a valid seat assignment to board the plane.

Boarding ends 15 minutes before departure. If you’re not on board, we may reassign your seat to another passenger. You will not be allowed to board once the doors close.

If you're on a codeshare flight operated by one of our partners, check with that airline
Regardless, there's no requirement for the OP to board before T15 in either place.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 1:45 pm

Isn't that what I said?
Old Jan 14, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Kacee
Closing boarding early and cancelling reservations seems to happen with some regularity on AA, definitely more than any of the other US majors, due principally to D0 combined with a fair number of rogue GAs. For this reason, I am especially careful with AA not to cut it as close as I will with UA, AS, or DL.

off.
well this is why I no
longer even think about flying AA. By far they are the worse of the majors. Almost as bad as WN
Old Jan 14, 2023, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I don’t know if they had (b), I don’t recall if OP said they tried to scan their BPs or were verbally told it’s too late. Maybe they did try to scan. But there would also be (c) the time they were removed from the flight and other pax assigned to their seats. That would be critical, if that happened before T-15.
Which AA would have documented somewhere the time that the passengers were offloaded. There's nothing that happens in a PNR that doesn't get recorded in the history. Now getting someone who can access that information on a past date reservation, or for AA to voluntarily acknowledge what that data shows is a different story. But that data definitely exists (even absent OP taking a picture of being at the gate).
Old Jan 14, 2023, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Isn't that what I said?
Yup. Sorry, misread.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Which AA would have documented somewhere the time that the passengers were offloaded. There's nothing that happens in a PNR that doesn't get recorded in the history. Now getting someone who can access that information on a past date reservation, or for AA to voluntarily acknowledge what that data shows is a different story. But that data definitely exists (even absent OP taking a picture of being at the gate).
The problem here is that "being at the gate" isn't something that happens in a PNR. That is AA's specific claim here — that OP was required to be at the gate and was not, and that their records prove it.

Given OP's description of being in what they thought was a line to board, it's entirely possible that the agent offloaded them as they were standing ten feet from the desk.

I strongly suspect that if they were offloaded under T-15, AA would have said that directly in their email. That they didn't, and fell back on "not at the gate," makes me suspect they were actually offloaded somewhere between T-30 and T-15.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 3:32 pm

The problem here is that "being at the gate" isn't something that happens in a PNR. That is AA's specific claim here — that OP was required to be at the gate and was not, and that their records prove it.

Given OP's description of being in what they thought was a line to board, it's entirely possible that the agent offloaded them as they were standing ten feet from the desk.

I strongly suspect that if they were offloaded under T-15, AA would have said that directly in their email. That they didn't, and fell back on "not at the gate," makes me suspect they were actually offloaded somewhere between T-30 and T-15.
The thing is is that AA has conflicting information - in its information to passengers it states to be there by 15 minutes before departure - I think it would be hard to fall back to a CoC when it has already advertised 15 minutes
Old Jan 14, 2023, 3:44 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
If OP really tried to board at 10:40 am for an 11:00 am flight, there's no "suspect" about it.
nk15 and LowValueCustomer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.