Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA gave away our seats to standby pax- advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA gave away our seats to standby pax- advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2023, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastflyer
I am sorry to repeat myself, but I think this distinction somehow has gotten lost in the other discussion.

As an international passenger, you are required by the CoC to be at the departure gate at T-30. The other passengers who are flying wholly US are not -- they may arrive at T-15. Even though you were flying with these other passengers, your own tickets had this special restriction, which I think may have been noticed by the GAs who used that information to offload you promptly. For all we know you were the only offloaded peeps, probably to empty two first class seats for some people known to the GA or important to AA in some other way. The remaining standbys were filled into empty economy seats immediately afterward, leaving no more seats on the plane. All of these actions could have been done per AA's own rules at T-29, and I think they were done around T-25. I also think the flight started boarding at T-40 and was fully boarded by about T-25. The GAs do see a real-time decreasing list of checked-in pax who haven't boarded and it may have been just the OP's group.

Offloading wholly domestic peeps must wait until T-15 but there is no evidence that happened here. Remember the first class cabin is handled as its own entity with limited supply, but there are normally several blocked yet empty seats in economy to handle small oversales.

The large gaggle of standbys indicates that the GAs had a lot of post-boarding card-printing to do, which they probably foresaw and also led them to board at T-40. But I think that final boarding call that OP heard at T-20 was a huge warning to get in front of the GA immediately. I think it was probably their second, final announcement, the first being at T-25 when they were noted for offboarding. The first announcement means "all remaining peeps nearby board immediately"; the second announcement means "boarding has ended, fare thee well."

In any case, international peeps must present themselves to the gate agent by T-30 which did not happen here.
So youre telling me if you were taking a US domestic flight and connecting onwards to an international flight you would follow the international guidelines for your domestic flight?

Ive flown hundreds of times from to/from the US from Canada. Mostly direct, but enough connecting flights to be able to comment.

If you check in with a LIVE agent, this is where you do your passport check (on both connecting / direct itineraries).

Sometimes I do not check in with a live agent and proceed straight to the gate, and thats where they make announcements for you to present yourself prior to the flight (in ATL this happened btw). Presenting yourself prior when they call your name is not even mandatory. We were in the lounge and proceeded to our gate from Toronto - Charlotte (and boarded with business clas) on the way down to the US. We did not check in with a live agent and just showed our passports upon boarding.

You are not treated any different from anyone else on your flight because you are connecting to an international flight, regardless if you are a foreigner in the US or anywhere else. Your baggage drop times, check in times are the same for everyone on the flight (in this case from MSY-CLT).

Our boarding pass had the same boarding time as a couple we met on the cruise we had just disembarked that day (we bumped into them after we checked in and again at the gate). That couple was flying MSY- CLT and are American citizens.

I dont mean to be argumentative but this is simply not true.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sparty3
OP here
LIVID all over again.
I would be livid too, but I hope you are bottling up your emotions in correspondence with AA, DOT, SCC, etc. Also, keep your argument as lean and easy to comprehend as possible.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Ant13
So, for the flight mentioned above that is consistently departing at T-11 to T-13, I wonder how many pax are being left behind.

If you get there at 16 minutes till, the GA will already be back there in the process of getting paperwork and closing the door prior to walking back to the gate.
More insight into this. Boarding begun at T-35 with "groups 1-5 welcome to board", lol (737 at least 60-70% full). Door announced closed at T-15, and app showed "departed" at T-8 (plane still at the gate), with jetbridge detached sometime between T-15 and T-8. My guess is that there are occasionally some people left behind...
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 11:06 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
So you’re telling me if you were taking a US domestic flight and connecting onwards to an international flight you would follow the international guidelines for your domestic flight?
This is what is stated in the American Airlines Rules, Fares & Charges which are on file with the US DOT:
(2) International travel

For itineraries that include airports outside of the United States, you must be checked in at your originating airport 60 minutes before scheduled departure time.

Please note the 60 minute check-in time applies at U.S. airports when the itinerary includes any airport outside of the United States.

(A) Denied boarding (U.S.A./Canadian flight origin) when there is an oversold AA flight that originates in the U.S.A./Canada, the following provisions apply:
---
(d) Exceptions: A passenger denied boarding involuntarily from an oversold flight shall not be eligible for denied boarding compensation if:
---
(vii) The passenger does not present him/herself at the loading gate for boarding at least 10 minutes prior to scheduled domestic departures, and 30 minutes prior to scheduled international departures. See rule 60 for ADDITIONAL information regarding boarding cut-off times.

fastflyer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Per a previous suggestion, I think the court of public opinion might still be good option for the OP at this point, if they can find the right advocate. It was recently quite effective in another matter involving AA:

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
You asked in your original post about advice on next steps. Having made several runs at resolving it with AA, it seems like you have two choices at this point, either to let it go, or to try to take it somewhere outside of AA. From the latter perspective, you might consider writing to this New York Times columnist: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/06/t...ed-cruise.html As evidenced by the responses on your thread, I think your story is an interesting one that might appeal to the Times. Good luck!
Old Jan 21, 2023, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TWA884
This is what is stated in the American Airlines Rules, Fares & Charges which are on file with the US DOT:
Interesting. AA doesn't follow this then. Not only is the 10 minutes different from the CoC 15, AA will allow check in and bags after T60 when the first flight is domestic.
​​​​​​
js1993 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
Sometimes AA starts boarding early, and quickly. There are occasions that I arrive at the gate at the beginning of scheduled boarding, only to find out that everyone has already boarded. You should not be cutting it too close, especially these days that flights are full.

My general advice to be at the gate is that no later than 5 minutes after scheduled boarding time should be your cut off, but ideally at least 5 minutes before scheduled boarding. (15 minutes before boarding time if you are waiting for upgrades to clear and you are high on the UG list).
Thanks for the advice, but I'll wait, as I usually do, until the GAs either call me on my phone or page me. And then I show up at D-20, and often board last.
moondog likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I show up at my home airport 10-15 minutes before boarding, 3-4 minutes for the TSA, and 3-4 minutes walk to the remote gates, but I like to board first, with the CKs

Last edited by nk15; Jan 21, 2023 at 2:38 pm
Old Jan 21, 2023, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
I show up at my home airport 10-15 minutes before boarding, 3-4 minutes for the TSA, and 3-4 minutes walk to the remote gates, but I like to board first, with the CKs
I prefer to board last, myself. Less time in the metal tube, no jetway scrums, clear aisle.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
I prefer to board last, myself. Less time in the metal tube, no jetway scrums, clear aisle.
I would be interested in that but I have stopped checking bags in the last few years, so unless I am traveling with a shoulder bag only I cannot do that. My carry on is a 16 incher but since the stupid airlines made the underseat space lower and unusable in the new aircraft, I cannot fit it there anymore.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well its clear what THAT specific language says about check-in times, regardless if its not adhered to in practice or contradicted elsewhere.

It does not read to me that the boarding time is dependent on what other segments may be in the passengers itinerary (eg, a domestic departure is a domestic departure, for all pax on that flight). Also, its been pointed out that this does specifically contradict the AA CoC.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP here
LIVID all over again.
We received 2 of 3 refunds late last week. Called to follow up earlier this week and was told to fill out some refunds/prefunds web form. Received this today, this is a JOKE right??
Called AA spoke to a supervisor, there is not a LIVE human who can explain to me WHY I have an entire ticket in the form of a flight credit?
I did not change my plans AA, YOU changed them for me.

We are going to file a chargeback I guess.
Have complained with DOT.
Filed a claim through AMEX.
Filing a small claims suit is not off the table.
If anyone has any way to escalate things with AA to get RESULTS, pls feel free to PM me.
To be out $5000+ for a flight is unreal.

I dont think its uncommon for the first step of a cancellation to be a flight credit. Once the refund request is approved, the credit gets replaced with the refund to original form of payment. Maybe wait a few days to see what happens.

re: credit card chargeback - generally a difficult avenue for various reasons. Also many cards require a charge to be disputed within two billing cycles of when it posted. Obviously that makes it difficult for airline tickets, probably intentionally, as the airlines and card issuers are in bed with one another. But IMO if the service wasnt provided it should be eligible, though YMMV. Also, a successful chargeback doesnt necessarily absolve you, the merchant can still come after you (not suggesting AA would, just pointing out it isnt the cure-all).
Old Jan 21, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Does this document also state a lifetime airpass is for sale for $350,000? Naturally it says AA can limit the number for sale or terminate the program at any time, but this looks like useless filings.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 5:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well it’s clear what THAT specific language says about check-in times, regardless if it’s not adhered to in practice or contradicted elsewhere.

Also, it’s been pointed out that this does specifically contradict the AA CoC.
This document and language are included in the Contract of Carriage.

From AA.com:

Conditions of carriage

Updated November 21, 2022

The contract between you, the passenger, and us, American Airlines

At American Airlines, we fly over borders – across the country and the world – to connect people and communities. Providing this service and making the world a smaller, more inclusive place, is a huge part of who we are.

Flying with American

All transportation of passengers and bags provided by American Airlines is subject to the terms of these Conditions of Carriage, in addition to any:
  • Terms printed on any ticket, ticket jacket or ticket receipt
  • Published fare rules; and
  • Applicable tariffs filed by American Airlines in accordance with U.S. Department of Transportation regulations.
All terms, fare rules, and tariffs are incorporated herein by reference and constitute part of your agreement with American Airlines.

American Airlines General Rules of the International Tariff Opens a PDF document in a new window
Clicking on "American Airlines General Rules of the International Tariff Opens a PDF document in a new window" opens the document from which I quoted.

The language about check-in time for flights on itineraries that include airports outside of the United States is vague and subject to interpretation.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 6:08 pm

Are we now focusing on:
a) check-in time (which was timestamped at D-58, and accepted by the airline)
b) arrival at gate area (sometime prior to D-25, but no hard evidence seems to exist)
or
c) the time the OP was removed from the flight (the OP doesn't know...AA presumably does)
?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.