Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA gave away our seats to standby pax- advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA gave away our seats to standby pax- advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2023, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
MSY-CLT is not an 'international flight' as per the guidance of when to arrive at the gate - the domestic guidance of 30m applies.

Boarding group and time is not relevant - just because someone is in group 1 does not mean they need to board with group 1.

Singling out pax on intl. itineraries to offload seems to be a strategy occasionally used - which is puzzling because there is no justification for it per the policy as gate arrival requirement is the same as for domestic.

They can't seem to decide whether the 30m gate arrival for domestic flights is guidance, or in fact policy. It appears to be implemented selectively, on a case by case basis.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Was the departure at 10:55? If so, by AAs own rules, it could give away your seats after 10:40, which it did. If the departure was at 11:00, then AA could give away your seats if you hadnt boarded at 10:45.

Lesson learned: its necessary to push through a crowd (figuratively) and get on board, and arriving to board after the scheduled boarding start time is risky.

I am with you- this is infuriating- but this kind of thing happens to all of us. I guess the upside is that next time well handle it differently and well luck out with an upgrade or something.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr
well this is why I no
longer even think about flying AA. By far they are the worse of the majors. Almost as bad as WN
not meant snarkily, I'm just genuinely puzzled why you're here commenting or even reading the AA forum if this is the case?

separately: has the OP actually revealed the exact scheduled departure time? All the comments on here seem like they're trying to do the math to figure it out instead of working off what time of departure was.
Aliquot, Antarius, Uzzar and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 5:52 pm

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Was the departure at 10:55? If so, by AAs own rules, it could give away your seats after 10:40, which it did. If the departure was at 11:00, then AA could give away your seats if you hadnt boarded at 10:45.
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
separately: has the OP actually revealed the exact scheduled departure time? All the comments on here seem like they're trying to do the math to figure it out instead of working off what time of departure was.
Scheduled departure time was 11:00 AM.
Antarius and Uzzar like this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by meechyathere
MSY-CLT is not an 'international flight' as per the guidance of when to arrive at the gate - the domestic guidance of 30m applies.
The guidance on AA's website is 15 minutes for a domestic flight and 30 for an international flight as linked to above - the guidance is different to AA's CoC
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Closing boarding early and cancelling reservations seems to happen with some regularity on AA. . . .For this reason, I am especially careful with AA not to cut it as close . . . .
Quality summary to live by. We can quote boarding pass language and CofC to each other all day. But operationally boarding usually starts early, and often ends early.

If nobody is left in the line they start working standbys (some of whom will, at that point, have higher status than you). Frustrating, and I have been caught by it too. Some things just are. (But I doubt other airlines are that much different).
Old Jan 14, 2023, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
Quality summary to live by. We can quote boarding pass language and CofC to each other all day. But operationally boarding usually starts early, and often ends early.

If nobody is left in the line they start working standbys (some of whom will, at that point, have higher status than you). Frustrating, and I have been caught by it too. Some things just are. (But I doubt other airlines are that much different).
They are different. Like Alaska.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
not meant snarkily, I'm just genuinely puzzled why you're here commenting or even reading the AA forum if this is the case?
probably the same reason you read this or any other forum. To observe and learn. In this case adding more to my portfolio on why I dont fly AA.

so lets make this relevant what would you have done if you were the OP?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr
probably the same reason you read this or any other forum. To observe and learn. In this case adding more to my portfolio on why I don’t fly AA.

so let’s make this relevant… what would you have done if you were the OP?
i guess to start I wouldn't have been so passive. Realizing boarding was almost done and some guy is just standing there fiddling with his phone (and apparently preventing me from boarding) while the clock is about to strike midnight, I would have said "Excuse me, are you boarding?" and then moved around him once he said no. What would YOU have done?.
LETTERBOY and jhalapin like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:56 am

i guess to start I wouldn't have been so passive. Realizing boarding was almost done and some guy is just standing there fiddling with his phone (and apparently preventing me from boarding) while the clock is about to strike midnight, I would have said "Excuse me, are you boarding?" and then moved around him once he said no. What would YOU have done?.
It sounds like it was less "one last person in the boarding lane" and more OP being a low group number but trying to board a few groups after it but a gate agent offloaded OP despite people still actively boarding.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime PLT, Marriott Ambassador
At the very best, the OP got to bag drop AND gate at the very minimum requirements. There is clearly discussion as to whether AA jumped the gun by 2-3 minutes and I'm not sure who is correct. OP had a stroller and little ones usually slow folks down and distract them. From what I read, they weren't ready to board, making the unfortunate false assumption that the phone absorbed guy in front of them was in line. All the ATL based costs OP incurred were unilaterally decided and AA is not obligated to pay these. OP asked for advice. I would advice to get to bag drop and gate more than a minute or two before the deadline (or possibly in this case a a few minutes after the website recommended times), especially when traveling with children.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lowfareair
It sounds like it was less "one last person in the boarding lane" and more OP being a low group number but trying to board a few groups after it but a gate agent offloaded OP despite people still actively boarding.
It was misconduct by the GA. I'd be getting bounced from flights weekly if this was the norm.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Sparty3
  • We were asked to step aside, we inquired about our bags and were told they were going to Toronto (they went to Charlotte and stayed there for 2 days.. had to go retrieve them from YYZ ourselves).
  • AA agent suggested we cancel our flights (full refund) and rebook with an alternate carrier. So we did just that.

Im confused here - so, they marked you as no show, denied boarding, the reservation was canceled, and then AA transported your bags, not only domestically, but INTERNATIONALLY? On a no-show canceled reservation? Is that what happened?

I thought that wasnt supposed to happen - ever.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by BSBD

Im confused here - so, they marked you as no show, denied boarding, the reservation was canceled, and then AA transported your bags, not only domestically, but INTERNATIONALLY? On a no-show canceled reservation? Is that what happened?

I thought that wasnt supposed to happen - ever.
The first flight was domestic and the second might have been treated like IRROPS, depending on the timing of the cancellation and/or the lack of seats.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by js1993
The first flight was domestic and the second might have been treated like IRROPS, depending on the timing of the cancellation and/or the lack of seats.
I’m not sure what you mean. On the second (international) flight, the PAX would have been canceled automatically due to the “no show” on the first flight . Lack of seats would have had no bearing on this.

My point is, I do not think (unless there has been a rule change that I am not aware of) that AA would have been permitted to transport the bags to Canada, and they should have been off-loaded at MSY anyway due to the no-show, especially with the international itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.