Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

4x miles on AA purchases with Citi AAdvantage Executive Card through 12/31/22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4x miles on AA purchases with Citi AAdvantage Executive Card through 12/31/22

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2022, 2:47 pm

I called up AA and they confirmed. 1LP per $ spent. You DON'T get the 4X for LP.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Just got a survey from a marketing research firm on Citi's behalf for the Exec card. They basically showed the Exec card with a ton of new benefits and new price tag. This was the first one they showed and most expensive. Was not impressed with any of the added offerings.

Old Oct 25, 2022, 12:17 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chicago747
Just got a survey from a marketing research firm on Citi's behalf for the Exec card. They basically showed the Exec card with a ton of new benefits and new price tag. This was the first one they showed and most expensive. Was not impressed with any of the added offerings.

Thanks for sharing.
I barely can rationalize the card for the AC as is. This is a death blow for me.

ETA: WHOA just noticed the potential increased elite tier requirements for Gold and Platinum (which likely means all of them...)
Old Oct 25, 2022, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
So the price is going up 200 more bucks a year. I'd REALLY like to hear more on the "Insurance Benefits" and what the entail. Devil's in the details. Otherwise I too will be dropping the card.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:02 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Originally Posted by enviroian
So the price is going up 200 more bucks a year. I'd REALLY like to hear more on the "Insurance Benefits" and what the entail. Devil's in the details. Otherwise I too will be dropping the card.
The best possible outcome is that they finally match Amex Plat/CSR, which is where i put flying spend anyway for that reason.
Now, if there was insurance AND an LP multiplier on AA spend (or ANY OTHER SPEND), we may have a contender.

I may need to snag a Barclays offer from an FA here soon and burn a Loyalty Choice on some AC passes....
Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DreAAmliner
ETA: WHOA just noticed the potential increased elite tier requirements for Gold and Platinum (which likely means all of them...)
I don't necessarily interpret that as the elite tier requirements increasing, but rather they're just saying if you have earned 40k LP you will have achieved Gold (when you hit 25k LP) and if you've earned 90k LP you will have achieved PLT (when you hit 75k LP).
Old Oct 25, 2022, 3:07 pm

Would be interested if the card included free wifi and rental car insurance as the primary insurer. Priority boarding sounds like Group 4 boarding and a concierge service seems to have no value to me.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bgasser
Would be interested if the card included free wifi and rental car insurance as the primary insurer. Priority boarding sounds like Group 4 boarding and a concierge service seems to have no value to me.

Nice try but AA would never throw in wifi and rental car insurance. If they do I'll eat the call attendant button.

Agree, "concierge" means absolute jack to me. By group 4 all overhead space is gone.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 4:09 pm

This was my concern when they offered this promo. The Citi card is now noticeably cheaper than its competitors, and that can't last forever.

I hope you gave a thumbs down to this proposal.
Spoiler

Old Oct 25, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Originally Posted by nall
This was my concern when they offered this promo. The Citi card is now noticeably cheaper than its competitors, and that can't last forever.

I hope you gave a thumbs down to this proposal.
Spoiler

There were 4 or 5 different options to rate. The cheapest was maybe $500 and 1 AU w/ far less new benefits than what I posted above. The one I posted above was the most expensive AF and most expensive in terms of additional AUs.

There was basically a 1 to 5 type rating system w/ 1 being horrible. I ranked all options a 1. I love the current pricing and even more, the $0 authorized users. I noted that their suggested "coupon" book travel credits similar to Amex Platinum's is not attractive. None of the benefits made me think I'd be better off at $645 + $75 for 2 AU than I am now. Obviously some will, but hopefully no one that is sent this survey.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 6:28 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
It’s clear that (a) $450 is too low now for this card compared to DL and UA, so AA and Citi are going to up the AF as much as they can but also that (b) the bonus categories and benefits on the existing card are also lackluster other than the free AUs. So let’s see what they come up with… but based on what we’ve seen in the past with these surveys, it could be a year or more before any refresh is announced
Old Oct 26, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dw
It’s clear that (a) $450 is too low now for this card compared to DL and UA, so AA and Citi are going to up the AF as much as they can but also that (b) the bonus categories and benefits on the existing card are also lackluster other than the free AUs. So let’s see what they come up with… but based on what we’ve seen in the past with these surveys, it could be a year or more before any refresh is announced
Yes, agreed. This is something many here seem unwilling to acknowledge. United charges $525 per year and Delta charges $550 per year. Neither card provides free authorized user cards. In fact Delta primary cardholders can't even bring in a single free guest, but can bring in up to two guests at $39 per person.

Frankly, like it or not, the AA Citi Exec card is just way, way too generous and there is no way this lasts. My guess is they would already have done something had it not been for Covid. That probably slowed things down a bit, but there is simply no way this card stays at $450 per year.

Regards
dw likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
<snip> Otherwise I too will be dropping the card.
Nah, we all know you'd begrudgingly keep it. If you didn't keep the card, where would you wait on the edge of your seat to see if your DFW-ELP upgrade was going to clear?

Regards
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:26 am

Interesting wording on the bonus LPs. "10K additional LPs when hitting 40K LPs." The wording for the current bonus is 10K LPs when hitting $40K spend. Does that mean that just by having the card you would get the bonus LPs when you accumulate 40K LPs from all sources?

The bonus spend categories are not very good, so it'd be interesting to earn additional LPs without any spend. The annual fee is steep, but as long as the Hyatt and Avis/Budget credits are usable in one shot and not "$10/month" that helps.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by upinsmoke
Interesting wording on the bonus LPs. "10K additional LPs when hitting 40K LPs." The wording for the current bonus is 10K LPs when hitting $40K spend. Does that mean that just by having the card you would get the bonus LPs when you accumulate 40K LPs from all sources?
I had the same thoughts after reading it as well. Like it's worded there it would essentially be a 20k LP bonus for anyone that accumulates over 90k LP per year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.