Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

4x miles on AA purchases with Citi AAdvantage Executive Card through 12/31/22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4x miles on AA purchases with Citi AAdvantage Executive Card through 12/31/22

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by pnak
I know this is slightly off-topic, but I made a purchase through the American portal with 4Xs dollar amount bonus. The 4X amount were all loyalty points.
Also, made a hotel reservation through the portal. The ad said 1,000 base miles bonus which turned out to be 1,000 loyalty points.
Pleasantly surprised by both
Really? That's not my understanding of how it works. See my pics, first pic shows the actual airfare charged (two trips for 3 passengers), that's ALL I spent that month plus $12 at the admirals club. Next pic shows what I earned as miles bonus. Final shot shows the LP and base miles. I didn't purchase anything the month prior or after. Truly 1x:

Credit Card charges for AA.com flight purchases for my family

What I earned, basically the bonus miles.

What I earned for LP, truly 1X
Old Sep 28, 2022, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Phasers
Of course I just bought a $3k ticket less than a week ago.

That being said, the 1 LP per dollar on AA purchases is a joke if they want to incentivize you to use their card.
im confused. why do we care about 4x pts on AA purchases on a citi card? amex plat personal is 5x MR w/ insurance. do we care for the LP?
UAPremierGuy likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
im confused. why do we care about 4x pts on AA purchases on a citi card? amex plat personal is 5x MR w/ insurance. do we care for the LP?
amex plat provides travel insurance? Please provide them. The main reason I have the citi card is for reduced Admirals Club membership fee vs buying it outright. Since Citi ripped out all travel benefits 2 years ago to me this is it's sole benefit.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by enviroian
amex plat provides travel insurance? Please provide them. The main reason I have the citi card is for reduced Admirals Club membership fee vs buying it outright. Since Citi ripped out all travel benefits 2 years ago to me this is it's sole benefit.
Precisely. At $450 annual for a family (multiple card holders) and Admirals priced at $650 for a single flier, it's a no brainer. It's a bummer there aren't more perks, accelerated LP would be worthwhile to me, but $1 per LP just isn't rich enough unless you just need a little to get across a tier.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by BrianV
Precisely. At $450 annual for a family (multiple card holders) and Admirals priced at $650 for a single flier, it's a no brainer. It's a bummer there aren't more perks, accelerated LP would be worthwhile to me, but $1 per LP just isn't rich enough unless you just need a little to get across a tier.
i didnt ask why anyone would hold this citi AA exec card. im asking why anyone cares about this 4x promo on this card when you have amex plat 5x MR + insurance.

surprised people dont know about amex plat insurance.
https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-ca...ance-benefits/
Old Sep 28, 2022, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
"remarkable" is one of those terms others should apply to you, not you to yourself/your products.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
i didnt ask why anyone would hold this citi AA exec card. im asking why anyone cares about this 4x promo on this card when you have amex plat 5x MR + insurance.
surprised people dont know about amex plat insurance.
https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-ca...ance-benefits/
I agree that it is a lame promo from Citi AA Exec Card. In addition to Amex, Chase Sapphire offers 5 points/$ for flights booked through Ultimate rewards + insurance. However, you cannot transfer MR or Chase points directly to AA.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
I received a similar offer a month ago: 5 points per dollar for up to $500 for all purchases.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Alex_I
I agree that it is a lame promo from Citi AA Exec Card. In addition to Amex, Chase Sapphire offers 5 points/$ for flights booked through Ultimate rewards + insurance. However, you cannot transfer MR or Chase points directly to AA.
true. you also have venture X w/ 5x travel portal + excellent insurance. even the citi prestige is 5x. but discontinued and no insurance. i guess if you really need the AA miles and LPs...
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by anaggie
Only 1 LP per dollar as you would normally get.
Citation needed. I'm seeing 4 LP per dollar for AA purchases during this promo.

You get 4X miles per $1 spent, and the email itself says "and 1 LP per mile".

So if you're getting 4 miles per $1, that's 4 LP per $1 too, right?
Old Sep 29, 2022, 9:00 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AB Dada

"ELIGIBLE MILE earned on your credit card" is the killer. the only "Eligible Miles" for LP's on AA Credit Cards are the first mile.

For every dollar spent on AA, this promo gives you:
4 RDMs + 1LP

I would never put one single dollar of Airfare spend on any AA card. For the reasons above, either Amex Plat or any other card that has trip protections.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AB Dada

"Eligible" is the key word, fine print later claims eligible miles are just BASE miles. It's almost intentional, like any person considers a "Mile" what they earn as mileage. It seems shady in my opinion and I think they're hoping/expecting people to misinterpret it.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 9:09 am

Wow, that's not how I'm reading this at all, interesting.

"Eligible AAdvantageŽ miles include the base miles earned on purchases, and do not include any bonus miles or accelerators. Loyalty Points may be earned on miles on purchases made by primary cardmembers and authorized users. Loyalty Points earned will be posted to the primary credit cardmember’s AAdvantageŽ account in 8-10 weeks."

I would assume if you're getting 2X miles already on the card per $1 on AA purchases, that means 2 LPs are currently earned per $1 -- but I admit I've never actually looked at my statements to see. I'll have to log in later and check.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I just bought an AA ticket to LAX yesterday. I'll report back with what posts.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 9:20 am
Original Poster

I just bought an AA ticket to LAX yesterday. I'll report back with what posts.
I posted my example above, I got 1X. Two posts on my AA account, one that was Base and LP, one that was Bonus only, you can see above.
enviroian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.