Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

4x miles on AA purchases with Citi AAdvantage Executive Card through 12/31/22

Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Citi AAdvantage 4x Miles per Dollar through Dec 31, 22 (Loyalty Points?)

Hi,
I just got email and confirmation that the Citi AAdvantage Executive card is offering 4x miles per dollar on AA Airfare spend between now and Dec 31:

"Earn 4 total miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases through December 31, 20221"

In reading the rest of the site, it makes it seem like you get 1 Loyalty Point for each eligible mile earned, so does this mean 4 Loyalty Points per dollar? I swear I tested this theory before trying to see if I'd get 2 Loyalty Points for AA and Restaurant spend and only receive 1 LP per dollar regardless of category. I gave up using the card because I don't value AA miles and have tons in the bank. I use Chase Ritz as my daily with AMEX Business Bonvoy for restaurant. However, if I can get LP to help me achieve status at 2x and now 4x, I'll switch my spending for the remainder of the year. As stated, I tested this earlier this year and came to the conclusion you only get 1 LP per dollar even on accelerated categories, but now I'm questioning myself because I see verbiage on Citi's site that says:

"Early 1 Loyalty Point for every 1 eligible mile earned from purchases" (NO fine print disclaimer)

^^ This leads me to believe if I receive 4 miles (which clearly miles are eligible), I get 4 Loyalty Points. However, fine print unrelated to that statements seems to contradict that, underlined point is my emphasis. It just seems the above statement should be cleared and reference base miles and not "eligible". I feel AA is intentionally confusing here.

"1 Loyalty Point accrues for every eligible mile earned on purchases, excluding balance transfers, cash advances, checks that access your credit card account, items and services returned for credit, unauthorized charges, interest and account fees, traveler’s checks, purchases of foreign currency, money orders, wire transfers (and similar cash-like transactions), lottery tickets, and gaming chips (and similar betting transactions). Eligible AAdvantage miles include the base miles earned on purchases, and do not include any bonus miles or accelerators. Loyalty Points may be earned on miles on purchases made by primary cardmembers and authorized users."

Is my initial experiment true, regardless of anything, you only get 1 LP per dollar spent?

Last edited by BrianV; Sep 28, 2022 at 9:52 am
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

I just got an email about this:

We've got great news if you love earning miles. Through December 31, 2022, Citi / AAdvantage Executive credit cardmembers earn 4 AAdvantage miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases1.

This is an additional 2 miles on top of the 2 miles you already earn.

And remember, you earn 1 Loyalty Point toward status for every 1 eligible mile earned on your credit card spend.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Okay,

Not sure why it shouldn't be 4x miles all the time anyways, but at least we get it for a bit.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
I got it earlier this morning also. I haven't had a chance to read the details. Any chance I will get it for the ticket I bought yesterday? (If not, the loss of 24 hour hold cost me 1000 miles)
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by ksucats
I got it earlier this morning also. I haven't had a chance to read the details. Any chance I will get it for the ticket I bought yesterday? (If not, the loss of 24 hour hold cost me 1000 miles)
doesn't look like it:

Earn a total of 4 AAdvantage miles for each $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases from 09/28/2022 through 12/31/2022. This offer may overlap with other special offers in which you are currently enrolled. To qualify for this offer, your account must be open and current. If you convert to another card product, you will not be eligible for this offer. Your eligible purchases must be posted to your account by 12/31/2022 to be eligible for this offer.

You already earn 2 AAdvantage for each $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases. From 09/28/2022 through 12/31/2022, you will earn an additional 2 AAdvantage miles for each $1 spent, for a total of 4 AAdvantage miles for each $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases. After 12/31/2022, you will return to earning 2 AAdvantage miles for each $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchase.

Eligible American Airlines purchases are items billed by American Airlines as merchant of record booked through American Airlines channels (aa.com, American Airlines reservations, American Airlines Admirals Club, American Airlines VacationsSM, and American Airlines airport and city ticket counters). Products or services that do not qualify are car rentals and hotel reservations, purchase of AAdvantage status boost or renewal, and AA CargoTM products and services. Miles earned will be posted to the primary credit cardmembers AAdvantage account in 8-10 weeks.

1 Loyalty Point per eligible AAdvantage mile 1 Loyalty Point accrues for every eligible AAdvantage mile earned on purchases, excluding balance transfers, cash advances, checks that access your credit card account, items and services returned for credit, unauthorized charges, interest and account fees, travelers checks, purchases of foreign currency, money orders, wire transfers (and similar cash-like transactions), lottery tickets, and gaming chips (and similar betting transactions). Eligible AAdvantage miles include the base miles earned on purchases, and do not include any bonus miles or accelerators. Loyalty Points may be earned on miles on purchases made by primary credit cardmembers and authorized users. Loyalty Points earned will be posted to the primary credit cardmembers AAdvantage account in 8 to 10 weeks.

Citibank is not responsible for products or services offered by other companies. Cardmember program terms are subject to change.

2022 Citibank, N.A. Citi, Citi and Arc Design and other marks used herein are service marks of Citigroup Inc. or its affiliates, used and registered throughout the world.

The Card Account is only available if you have a current AAdvantage program membership in your name. Citi reserves the right to cancel your Card Account if you or American terminates or deactivates your AAdvantage program membership.

Mastercard and World Elite Mastercard are registered trademarks, and the circle design, is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.
ksucats likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:02 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Will you get 4 LP per dollar or 2 LP per dollar on AA purchases? The T&Cs don't seem to say whether they are bonus miles.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by VFR
Will you get 4 LP per dollar or 2 LP per dollar on AA purchases? The T&Cs don't seem to say whether they are bonus miles.
Only 1 LP per dollar as you would normally get.
VFR and Pittie Pup like this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by anaggie
Only 1 LP per dollar as you would normally get.
Lame, you can see my top post above which just came in via merge, but man they write these terms really horribly.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Of course I just bought a $3k ticket less than a week ago.

That being said, the 1 LP per dollar on AA purchases is a joke if they want to incentivize you to use their card.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phasers
Of course I just bought a $3k ticket less than a week ago.

That being said, the 1 LP per dollar on AA purchases is a joke if they want to incentivize you to use their card.
Totally agree. I only have this card because they priced Admiral's Club ridiculously, and my wife and parents now can AC without me. There's literally no value outside of that if you're already a status flier. Sure, if you're a few thousand points away from the next tier, it's a viable option, but you have to REALLY want/need status to drive all your spend through CC. Then if you use mostly CC to get Loyalty Points, your actually butt-in-seat spend will be low so you'll be the lowest person on your earned status' totem pole.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I didn't get that offer. Is there a link by chance?
PMH likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
I didn't get that offer. Is there a link by chance?
https://creditcards.aa.com/citi-exec...es-cardmember/

Click on "Mileage Benefits" tab.

Image of web site and email below.

Website

Email
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: American, Marriott/spg
Buying through the portal

I know this is slightly off-topic, but I made a purchase through the American portal with 4Xs dollar amount bonus. The 4X amount were all loyalty points.
Also, made a hotel reservation through the portal. The ad said 1,000 base miles bonus which turned out to be 1,000 loyalty points.
Pleasantly surprised by both
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I can't register as their no mechanism to do so. I looks like invite only.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I can't register as their no mechanism to do so. I looks like invite only.
There is no register or call-to-action, it's on their base web site now. The email was more FYI then anything I had to opt-in for. I strongly believe this isn't targeted and applies to everyone.
enviroian likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.