Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Big trap in American Airlines 24-hour refund policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big trap in American Airlines 24-hour refund policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm saying that even if you put it on hold, after you purchase the same issue still exists (you still have 24hr to cancel).

So yes you can do it but it doesn't really "solve" the problem, in that there is still a 24hr period when you are due a refund. You've just moved that 24hr period forward (and the hold is only 5 days for awards; it's 1 day for cash fares, though they give you until the end of the next calendar day so you can theoretically get almost 48hr if you hold at the right time)
Correct. Form of payment is irrelevant to a reservation put on hold. As a practical matter, if you want to use a credit to pay for a flight you put on hold you can't do that online. You have to call to pay and be ticketed. I've done this several times and don't recall the agent warning me about non-refundability.
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by dls25
I've cancelled a flight within 24 hours and just gotten a new flight credit but that payment was 100% flight credit not a mixture.
Yep, and it cuts both ways I think, as the new credit get's a new 12 months I think. Used to be that it inherited the expiration date (I think that was not the "flight credit" but another instrument.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:52 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Doesn't this actually violate the federal regulations regarding ticket purchases? Remember, prior to this 24hr refund policy, one could place a reservation on a 24hr hold before ticketing. The airlines scrapped that policy in favor of this new one.
Originally Posted by nk15
Yes, although AA kept both.
We hashed this out years ago here on FT. Essentially, the DOT rule requires airlines to offer either a hold or a refund, but they don't have to offer both. Because AA allows the hold [on most tickets they sell], they don't have to also offer the refund on those tickets.

I thought that the OP was going to explain that this hold was the "trap," and it kind of is: Most airlines just offer the refund, so in those situations where AA denies it, many people assume that AA is not following the law.
USFlyerUS likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The DOT rule is that a reservation must be cancellable within 24 hours without penalty. Not a ticket, a reservation. New PNR = new reservation. I'd be pushing back.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by javabytes
The DOT rule is that a reservation must be cancellable within 24 hours without penalty. Not a ticket, a reservation. New PNR = new reservation. I'd be pushing back.
As correctly referred to above, the airline must allow either (a) to be able to hold for 24 hours or (b) be able to cancel within 24 hours

AA allows (b) ( unlike some airlines) plus often offers (A)

From https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ection/refunds

Originally Posted by DOT

For airline tickets that are purchased at least seven days before a flight’s scheduled departure date and time, airlines are required to either:

allow consumers to cancel their reservation and receive a full refund without a penalty for 24 hours, or

allow consumers to reserve a ticket (place it on hold) at the quoted prices without paying for the ticket for 24 hours.
USFlyerUS likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I don't think a DOT complaint will get you anywhere. As several others have pointed out, AA's policy follows DOT guidelines since AA offers the ability to hold for 24 hours. This is what I use when I'm planning to apply a credit but am not 100% certain I'm ready to book.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by newaliases
This is a PSA announcement. Might be known to some people, but please be aware - if you book a flight and pay any portion, even $1, using flight credit, American Airlines will DENY you a refund to the original method of payment if you cancel within 24 hours.

They argue that the use of the flight credit, which would have been from some prior cancelled flight, makes the whole new booking ineligibkle for a refund, since you didn't cancel the new booking within 24 hours of the old booking. Yep, that is their logic.

They claim their customer service FAQ makes this clear, but I will post the FAQ below and let you judge yourself.

(From the AA website)

If I cancel my trip within 24 hours of purchase, can I get a full refund?ExpandYou have up to 24 hours from the time you first buy your ticket for a refund if you booked at least 2 days prior to departure. The 24-hour refund policy applies to all ticket types, but you have to cancel the trip to get a refund.* Reservations booked as part of group block do not qualify for the 24 hour refund.

Refunds will be issued in full amounts, less:
  • Sale-imposed nonrefundable taxes
  • Service charge for booking through Reservations
Contact Reservations

*If you bought your ticket through a travel agency or another booking source, contact them for a refund.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...rvice-faqs.jsp
It says “24 hours from the time you FIRST buy your ticket”, which to AA means the time you bought the first ticket for which you received a flight credit.

Ma and Pa Kettle wouldn’t realize it, and I didn’t catch the meaning until seeing it in this thread. But the wording to protect AA is there, although it’s really not clear.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Delta has this policy too, and actually when it was explained to me, it made total sense. They probably aren't used to dealing with $1, as this is more to prevent someone from buying a super expensive non-refundable ticket, using the flight credit for most of the payment, and a pittance on their credit card, and then try to get the whole cost refunded to their credit card during the 24 hour refund window.

Basically it stops people from converting flight credits to cash (or credit card).
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by james318
Delta has this policy too, and actually when it was explained to me, it made total sense. They probably aren't used to dealing with $1, as this is more to prevent someone from buying a super expensive non-refundable ticket, using the flight credit for most of the payment, and a pittance on their credit card, and then try to get the whole cost refunded to their credit card during the 24 hour refund window.

Basically it stops people from converting flight credits to cash (or credit card).
The explanation doesn't make sense. If refundable, then payment would go back to original form of payment - only the amount paid for by card would be due back on the card - the rest would return to being credit
lowfareair and ijgordon like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chase, Amex, Citi, basically all of them
Originally Posted by james318

But why wouldn't they just refund the flight credit portion to a flight credit and credit card portion to a credit card? Completelty addresses their concern without robbing consumers of the credit card portion.

If I buy something at Best Buy partly with a gift card and partly with credit card and request a refund, they return a new gift card for the gift card portion and the remaining to my credit card. A major, $10B airline should have/invest in technology to do that.

Or they should make that crystal clear. "Saying refundable within 24 hour of purchase" doesn't make it clear at all to average reader they mean FIRST PURCHASE, more rationale/reasonable assumption is they mean the current purchase as everyone assumes everything just gets refunded to the original method of payment.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chase, Amex, Citi, basically all of them
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
It says “24 hours from the time you FIRST buy your ticket”, which to AA means the time you bought the first ticket for which you received a flight credit.

Ma and Pa Kettle wouldn’t realize it, and I didn’t catch the meaning until seeing it in this thread. But the wording to protect AA is there, although it’s really not clear.
That is indeed what AA argues. But my argument is when there is ambiguity, as between a big, $10B major airline who controls the wording and an average consumer, they should bear the cost of the lack of clarity. I didn't draft their FAQ, and it would be the easiest thing in the world for them to add a one liner explaining that it means first purchase, which means any use of flight credit would render it nonrefundable. They added pretty clear exceptions for other things in their FAQ. Plus the result in my humble opinion is just not fair and obvious to most people, why wouldn't/shouldn't they just refund to original method of payment (e.g. if mix flight credit and credit card, flight credit portion back to flight credit and credit card back to CC)? That technology exist in pretty much every retailer.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I expect this is simply an IT limitation on AA's part as opposed to a policy. Logically they should recreate the flight credit with the same terms if you cancel a ticket within 24 hours but they probably can't figure out the programming.
formeraa likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Just some advice: I would start a dispute with your credit card issuer.

The DoT may eventually rule in your favor, but the key word is "eventually". By the time they get around to your case, the flight credit will almost certainly have expired.

I had a pandemic-era dispute with an airline (the airline refused refund and only offered credit, when they cancelled the flight, which is against DoT rules requiring a refund for canceled flights). I filed a DoT complaint and also initiated a chargeback with my CC (documenting the DoT rules clearly for the CC company). After a couple rounds of back and forth with Chase/Visa, they sided with me and charged back the full amount. At that point I promptly forgot about the DoT until about a year later, I got a really nice letter and phone call from someone at DoT indicating they had found my complaint valid. Of course by then it was moot.

TLDR: the DoT enforcement was fair and polite, but took forever and if you actually want your money back your best option is the credit card company.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Seems to me OP thinks it is passenger’s choice on which option is to be provided when it is actually airline’s choice.

AA allows for reservation to be held. If passenger does not take advantage of this hold, AA is not required to (but not prohibited from) providing the alternative option of 24 hour cancel after ticketing.

14 CFR 259.5(b)(4)
(4) Allowing reservations to be held at the quoted fare without payment, or cancelled without penalty, for at least twenty-four hours after the reservation is made if the reservation is made one week or more prior to a flight's departure;
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
When you use a flight credit on a new itinerary, do you get a new ticket number?

If so, that's a pretty good argument that it's a new ticket with a new 24 hour timer.
ijgordon and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.