Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Annoying AA IT Trying to change a flight online

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

This likely belongs linked to another thread--I did search

I think AA IT uses the same tech that powered Apollo 11. Maybe that's too generous. Why is it SO hard to change a paid ticket online? We have a trip we were likely going to change. Yesterday-no problem-I could click "change flight" and look at options. We hadn't made a decision yet though. Last night, they changed our original flight four minutes. Same flight number. Now it says "your flight has changed. Check back later to see what changed". I am now ready to make the change we want-I clicked the change flight button. I have to call. 2 1/2 hour call back for plat. I'm ok waiting-but why cant I just do it online???????
Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker

I think AA IT uses the same tech that powered Apollo 11. Maybe that's too generous. Why is it SO hard to change a paid ticket online? We have a trip we were likely going to change. Yesterday-no problem-I could click "change flight" and look at options. We hadn't made a decision yet though. Last night, they changed our original flight four minutes. Same flight number. Now it says "your flight has changed. Check back later to see what changed". I am now ready to make the change we want-I clicked the change flight button. I have to call. 2 1/2 hour call back for plat. I'm ok waiting-but why cant I just do it online???????

this happens after every schedule change, no matter how small. Seat selection is unavailable as well. It typically takes a week or two to work itself out. Until then, you have to call.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 5:57 pm

I had a schedule change that never "worked itself out". After waiting for about three weeks, I reached out to AA on Twitter and they had everything fixed in 20 minutes.

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
this happens after every schedule change, no matter how small. Seat selection is unavailable as well. It typically takes a week or two to work itself out. Until then, you have to call.
Pittie Pup and lordmu99 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
I needed to change a trip that was 48 hours out but the wait time for calling in was over a day because of winter weather. Trying to change it online just gave the message saying to contact reservations. They could save a lot of tine on the phone if they were better equipped to make changes via the app or web site. Twiiter DM is useful for some things but couldn't change the date of my flight since they said they weren't capable of collecting payment for the fare change (which ultimately ended up being a $4 credit lol)
Mr. Vker likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
I have never seen a company SO bad with IT. I am just fed up. I am tired of hearing "we're working on it." Every time. Even the phone agents--when I reach them after 2-4 hours (PP here) --sigh and say, "I know." The IT team should be fired. I rarely say that, but frankly, if you can't innovate in 2022, go elsewhere. Even hitting an app page or webpage on AA takes many seconds to load. Every. Single. Time. It's inexcusable, especially when the team spent months tasks with the "redesign" of the loyalty program. Fix what's broken before you put lipstick on the pig.

All this to say, I am sympathetic--and have multiple frustrating AA situations right now.
LowRoller and rayfes like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I had this recently happen too. Would not let me complete the change, kept changing the date on me. Just ended up cancelling the flight, getting trip credit for full amount (hit my account in less then one minute), then booking new flight. Uhg. So many extra steps.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP., UA Silver, Marriott Ti/LT Gold, Sixt P. National EXE
Similar situation, flight cancelled and rebooking on the app/website would only show me limited options when I knew there were more flights that day (with available seats). Calling AA did nothing (23 hour wait with EXP) so I double book myself by purchasing the flight I wanted on a separate reservation. When I finally got a call back (I was already at my destination by then) the lady said try using twitter. Sucks because I don't have one, but sucks even more because an AA representative suggested I complain on Twitter to get any response at all. They did refund me on the double booking though...so at least they did that.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
Originally Posted by greekfreak
Similar situation, flight cancelled and rebooking on the app/website would only show me limited options when I knew there were more flights that day (with available seats). Calling AA did nothing (23 hour wait with EXP) so I double book myself by purchasing the flight I wanted on a separate reservation. When I finally got a call back (I was already at my destination by then) the lady said try using twitter. Sucks because I don't have one, but sucks even more because an AA representative suggested I complain on Twitter to get any response at all. They did refund me on the double booking though...so at least they did that.
And Twitter isn't the full solution since they are limited in what they can do and make mistakes on occasion. They have been useful for getting missing miles credited with minimal effort from me.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I have had good luck with Twitter lately personally, had a pair of web special award that had a schedule change, one added an extra connection and the other one had about a 3.5 hrs increased travel times. No trouble feeding twitter my desired one stop itineraries and they rebooked me no problem, despite the original flights having an overnight layover on one and a red-eye on the other that I got rid of.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 2:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
OP, I'm having the same problem at the moment. Very frustrating when you have reservations that you need to change.

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
Seat selection seems to work fine for me, it's just changing the flight that's the issue. What I've noticed is that the "Trip Name" field becomes blank while the affected reservations are in the limbo period.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:13 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Ha ha. It wasn’t that long ago that you couldn’t do it online at all.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,

A simply solution is just call AA and have them reissue the tickets, normally took me about 5 mins if I call early in the morning. It have been happening to me a lot lately with my flights booked for May and June this year.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by 350zrx330
A simply solution is just call AA and have them reissue the tickets, normally took me about 5 mins if I call early in the morning. It have been happening to me a lot lately with my flights booked for May and June this year.
There's nothing simpler than being able to do it online-which should be a universal feature to any change one wants to make. My work schedule doesn't always allow that. I did have to talk to them this evening. Did a 2 1/2 hour call back. Actual call back 5 1/2 hours.
wrp96 and rayfes like this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 4:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
There's nothing simpler than being able to do it online-which should be a universal feature to any change one wants to make. My work schedule doesn't always allow that. I did have to talk to them this evening. Did a 2 1/2 hour call back. Actual call back 5 1/2 hours.
Then you should try to call AA at early morning. I am normally up at 5 am and there is no hold time for EXP line at all, there is always a hold or longer call back time for later in the day. Given the current AA IT setup, the simplest solution is to call until AA fix the system. You can also try the chat function on AA's website. We try to figure out the best way to work around problems since we have no control over AA's system. Perhaps we can write a proposal for AA and bit for the next IT contract.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Check out the BA forum. The situation with BA's IT seems a lot worse than AA's ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.