Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 4:50 am

AA App and IOS calendar

Didn’t know where to post this but it wasn’t worth a new thread. My IOS calendar on all devices keeps suggesting AA flights I already have booked and added into my calendar, everytime after I open the app. It’s a Siri suggestion, and I have turned this off but it keeps happening. Anyone have a fix? It’s very annoying to me to have contact calendar notifications.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by LowRoller
Didn’t know where to post this but it wasn’t worth a new thread. My IOS calendar on all devices keeps suggesting AA flights I already have booked and added into my calendar, everytime after I open the app. It’s a Siri suggestion, and I have turned this off but it keeps happening. Anyone have a fix? It’s very annoying to me to have contact calendar notifications.
Apple calendar keeps updating with "new time" for flight

It's working for some people but not for others.
LowRoller likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: DL Gold Medallion (1M), Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite (lifetime)
500-mile upgrades but no status - can I use?

Asking on behalf of a family member. She has an upcoming AUS - BOS RT coming up, and has 7 x 500-mile upgrades showing in her AAdvantage wallet. Is there any way for her to use these upgrades for this upcoming trip (she has no elite status)? If so, what's the process to go about doing this? I've checked the AA website and it's totally unclear. Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by htfdcolt
Asking on behalf of a family member. She has an upcoming AUS - BOS RT coming up, and has 7 x 500-mile upgrades showing in her AAdvantage wallet. Is there any way for her to use these upgrades for this upcoming trip (she has no elite status)? If so, what's the process to go about doing this? I've checked the AA website and it's totally unclear. Thanks
No, they're only usable if you have elite status, and they're going away (American is converting them to miles/LP in the new system).
Old Apr 13, 2022, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
No, they're only usable if you have elite status, and they're going away (American is converting them to miles/LP in the new system).
I believe it's just LPs and not miles.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I'm not a newbie but I always forget the answer to this question. I'm flying BOS-LAX in a fortnight. I want to buy Y and upgrade to J with miles + copay. Which class of ticket needs to be available for me to be able to do this?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by merlin90
I'm not a newbie but I always forget the answer to this question. I'm flying BOS-LAX in a fortnight. I want to buy Y and upgrade to J with miles + copay. Which class of ticket needs to be available for me to be able to do this?
C
merlin90 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks.

Next question: can I upgrade to J with AA miles or miles + copay on a B6 codeshare flight from BOS to LAX?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by merlin90
Thanks.

Next question: can I upgrade to J with AA miles or miles + copay on a B6 codeshare flight from BOS to LAX?
No, and to be clear, there is no J. That's F in American's parlance. Mileage upgrades require marketed and operated by AA. This is all on their website - you know this, right?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by danielm
Check back when you do, curious to know what happens and hoping for a W!
Flew a couple of days ago - was not able to get a boarding pass when checking in online, and I feigned ignorance at the check-in desk. Alas, I was then informed that the upgrade payment hadn't "gone through" and was given the option to either pay the amount I originally agreed to (as opposed to any walk-up fare upgrade), or downgrade to Y. I did the latter and the flight was half-empty and I ended up with a very comfortable MCE seat with an entire row to myself.

Either way, should anyone face a similar situation and decide to chance it, sorting it one way or the other at the airport was very straight-forward! Thanks again for the input earlier.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 4:06 pm

If you have booked an AA **award** flight (regardless of class) and you do online check in (OLCI) the day before or the day of travel, but then you find yourself having to cancel because you have to be somewhere else that day, under the current AA policy for award bookings (copied from the AA site and pasted below), can someone still cancel and get all their miles and fees back, as long as the request to cancel is made before departure time?

Follow-up questions:
1) Can the award booking cancellation still be completed online after OLCI for the full refund of miles and fees, or would you have to go to a rep at a counter at the ariport or phone in to get this done?
2) Would canceling last-minute like this possibly put you in bad standing with AA?

I'm guessing these days cancelations happen all the time, even after OLCI, but I'm not sure how this exactly works with AA. (With a carrier like Southwest, there's nothing to worry about in this scenario.)

Canceling flight awards and reinstating miles

If your plans change and you no longer wish to travel, you can cancel your trip anytime on aa.com. We’ll reinstate your miles and refund eligible taxes and fees up to 1 year after the ticket issue date, but you have to cancel your trip before the first flight departs. If you cancel your trip on aa.com, your miles will be reinstated and your refund will be requested automatically in most cases. There is no fee to reinstate your miles.
SOURCE: AA.com
Old Apr 13, 2022, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ElginH
If you have booked an AA **award** flight (regardless of class) and you do online check in (OLCI) the day before or the day of travel, but then you find yourself having to cancel because you have to be somewhere else that day, under the current AA policy for award bookings (copied from the AA site and pasted below), can someone still cancel and get all their miles and fees back, as long as the request to cancel is made before departure time?

Follow-up questions:
1) Can the award booking cancellation still be completed online after OLCI for the full refund of miles and fees, or would you have to go to a rep at a counter at the ariport or phone in to get this done?
2) Would canceling last-minute like this possibly put you in bad standing with AA?

Yes, you cancel even after you've checked in for a full refund. You can still do this online when you pull up your reservation. No, doing this will leave you in any bad standing with AA.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
So I've realized I've never actually tried to get into a lounge on arrival but want to next week.

I'm OW Sapphire with Iberia flying to DFW domestically next week. I land at lunch time so thought I'd pop into the FL for a quick bite. Just want to confirm that I'd be allowed.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
So I've realized I've never actually tried to get into a lounge on arrival but want to next week.

I'm OW Sapphire with Iberia flying to DFW domestically next week. I land at lunch time so thought I'd pop into the FL for a quick bite. Just want to confirm that I'd be allowed.
Yes you will have access to the FL.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by LupineChemist

Originally Posted by wrp96
Yes you will have access to the FL.
No no, accessing via oneworld rules as is the case here means you must have an onward/departing flight for access. So no access unless you have a connecting DFW-XXX flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.