Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Apple calendar keeps updating with "new time" for flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum

Has anyone experienced this issue on Apple where calendar keeps being updated with new flight times even though the flight times aren't changing? Doesn't happen with other airlines, but with my 2 (first) AA flight today, I got no fewer than 3 notifications on both my iPhone and MacBook for each of my flight segments that the calendar appointment had updated with new times. The flights hadn't changed at all. Just annoying to have to continue opening my app to clear notifications as I'm trying to board a plane.
_kurt, squiddz and MiamiLisa like this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by FrankMorris
Has anyone experienced this issue on Apple where calendar keeps being updated with new flight times even though the flight times aren't changing? Doesn't happen with other airlines, but with my 2 (first) AA flight today, I got no fewer than 3 notifications on both my iPhone and MacBook for each of my flight segments that the calendar appointment had updated with new times. The flights hadn't changed at all. Just annoying to have to continue opening my app to clear notifications as I'm trying to board a plane.
Every time you open the AA app, the flights get updated. It's very annoying but I haven't yet bothered to find a fix.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vasantn
Every time you open the AA app, the flights get updated. It's very annoying but I haven't yet bothered to find a fix.
Hmm I wonder if I can find a way to turn off those specific calendar notifications, although it might be nice if the flight were indeed delayed.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm
same issue here too
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:38 pm

I had this issue. After a lot of trial & error, I figured out how to fix it. You need to go into Settings, select the American app, then select Siri & Search, and turn off the top option- Learn from this App.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by KMM810
I had this issue. After a lot of trial & error, I figured out how to fix it. You need to go into Settings, select the American app, then select Siri & Search, and turn off the top option- Learn from this App.
This is probably the most valuable first post ever in the history of FT. Welcome!
ksucats, PHL, squiddz and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
WOW! It worked! Never in my life have I smashed a like button so quickly.
KMM810, MiamiLisa and Parkdesigner like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 8:21 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My updates aren't because of "flight times". It's because "location changed". Seriously? I'm flying out of a different airport?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for this. I guess the only drawback is that actual schedule changes wouldn’t be updated? Doesn’t seem like a big deal at all given the benefit. I do wonder if I cancel a flight, and the calendar app automatically knows this, if it’s coming from email or somehow the app?
Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:20 pm

Yes, and it drives me NUTS!! Especially bc I fly AA almost every week. I’d love to figure out how to not get a million change updates when nothing has actually changed!!

Update:
After seeing that others have the same issue, I started playing with the calendar settings and figured out that turning off “Learn from this App” does the trick. Then I saw KMM810 had already posted the solution, ha!

Thank goodness theres a fix for this!! (I know, I know, first world problems.)

Update #2:
It’s still happening despite having that “Learn from this App” feature turned off. 😩
ceebee100 likes this.

Last edited by MiamiLisa; Mar 30, 2022 at 6:19 pm
Old Mar 31, 2022, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MiamiLisa
Yes, and it drives me NUTS!! Especially bc I fly AA almost every week. I’d love to figure out how to not get a million change updates when nothing has actually changed!!

Update:
After seeing that others have the same issue, I started playing with the calendar settings and figured out that turning off “Learn from this App” does the trick. Then I saw KMM810 had already posted the solution, ha!

Thank goodness theres a fix for this!! (I know, I know, first world problems.)

Update #2:
It’s still happening despite having that “Learn from this App” feature turned off. 😩
Yeah very weird, and yet another bug of the app. Another one, just for fun, is that the various confirmation buttons are obscured below by certain notification windows, and the developers didn't allow enough space at the bottom of the app, so there is no way to, for example, change your flight from your app using an iPhone without some workarounds. Pretty odd, and pretty poor development.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
THANK YOU! This used to drive me CRAZY!! I am so glad you shared this fix.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by River in Sight
THANK YOU! This used to drive me CRAZY!! I am so glad you shared this fix.
Sadly it’s very inconsistent with me.

I’ve also noticed Siri has stopped even picking up on flight times/calendar additions from American’s emails, so now it’s almost a moot point as I have to manually enter them anyway.
Old May 17, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Catbert10
My updates aren't because of "flight times". It's because "location changed". Seriously? I'm flying out of a different airport?
That's what mine said, every time. I never understood why. Now it's sorted! 😀

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.