Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2023, 2:06 pm

I would just like to ask if all airlines that are bookable with AA miles now appear on the AA site for searches? Etihad, Qatar, and Iberia for example, do they normally show up in searches if they are available? I see a lot of British Air and not a lot of alternatives.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nikita606
I would just like to ask if all airlines that are bookable with AA miles now appear on the AA site for searches? Etihad, Qatar, and Iberia for example, do they normally show up in searches if they are available? I see a lot of British Air and not a lot of alternatives.
Yes, all AAdvantage partner carriers are bookable at aa.com.

From time to time there can be glitches though were some availability for certain partners has trouble showing up. If you cross check availability at another program like BA and see award flights available, yet aa.com is showing nothing, you can always try to call AA and see if a phone agent can see any space.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; AA Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Gold
Yes. I booked Finnair via AA.com with AA miles. Also recently saw JAL as an option to Tokyo from LAX. It's just availability can be tougher. Also, it's not just AA with that issue. Was trying to book Korean Air via Delta, and while I could use KAL miles on their site, on delta.com the only option for that same flight is cash.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 2:52 pm

Thanks. I'm looking at CVG to CAI on May 10. Only AA and British Air right now. I would like to avoid London, but I don't see any alternatives.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I'm looking at CVG to CAI on May 10. Only AA and British Air right now. I would like to avoid London, but I don't see any alternatives.
You need to search segment by segment for best results. If you want to try for QR or EY, then search just those gateways (like JFK, ORD, PHL, etc.) to DOH/AUH/CAI separately and see if anything is available. If you happen to find anything, then search for CVG to gateway city separately.

AA's old 'sAAver' award space is practically non-existent now, but this is what you need for domestic connecting flights to partner awards. So, for example, JFK-DOH-CAI might be available on QR but AA has no award space getting you from CVG-JFK to connect, so if you just search "CVG-CAI" aa.com won't return any QR results.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 3:27 pm

Will AA still allow me to connect flights if I call in? I thought that was over.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 9:15 am

Hi All - I should be attaining Executive Platinum in the coming months - looking to go from Boston to Dubronik next summer with the family (6 people) - can book British Airways via aa.com, but dont have access to seats - I'm assuming AA Exec Platinum perks like bigger seats, potential upgrades, etc wont be available? Any other advise for booking this flight would be appreciated - thank you
Old Aug 18, 2023, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HonkyRed
Hi All - I should be attaining Executive Platinum in the coming months - looking to go from Boston to Dubronik next summer with the family (6 people) - can book British Airways via aa.com, but dont have access to seats - I'm assuming AA Exec Platinum perks like bigger seats, potential upgrades, etc wont be available? Any other advise for booking this flight would be appreciated - thank you
I don't understand what you mean when you say that you "don't have access to seats." Assuming that you are currently at least AAdvantage Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) you should be able to select seats free of charge on BA at time of booking.

But you are correct that BA does not offer an equivalent of AA's Main Cabin Extra. And seat pitch on BA short-haul Economy (from London to Dubrovnik) will be a very tight 29".
Old Aug 18, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: PriorityPass, AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Miles posting behavior/questions on completed trips

Hi,
just wanted to ask some questions about base/bonus mile posting behavior on AA fights (When looking at my AAdvantage activity on aa.com)
I had taken longer vacation last month, entirely booked through AA with some domestic legs out of USA and then out of USA (operated by Finnair) for international leg. Domestic legs posted as 'fare' method and international leg posted as 'distance' method which makes sense to me.

However, since I was already AAdvantage Platinum by the time of that trip, IRRC domestic leg awarded miles should have included 9 miles per fare $ spent on those legs. When I look on the trip award breakdown though on AA it shows-
IAH-ORD
"Award miles 616; Base Miles 385; Bonus Miles 231 (Status 231)"
DFW-IAH
"Award miles 387; Base Miles 215; Bonus Miles 172 (Status 172)"

Based on above, not exactly sure if my Platinum status earning was applied?

[[For comparison, I had a domestic only trip in June 2023 that posted when I didn't have AA status yet, but was AAdvantage member already-
June- IAH-DFW
"Award miles 1008; Base Miles 720; Bonus Miles 288 (Status 288)"
The above I can calculate/see the fare basis for this flight $144, because 144x5 = 720 (5x mile on $spent awarded due to being anAAdvantage member). I did also use Citi AAdvantage Mastercard to book these but not sure if the 2x mileage bonus for that was what shows on 'bonus miles' category on above listing, as 144x2 = 288 ]]

Last edited by xtremegene; Aug 18, 2023 at 11:28 am
Old Aug 18, 2023, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by xtremegene
However, since I was already AAdvantage Platinum by the time of that trip, IRRC domestic leg awarded miles should have included 9 miles per fare $ spent on those legs.
AAdvantage Platinum members earn 8 miles per dollar spent (pre-tax) on AA flights. That is a 60% bonus over what non-status members earn, so it appears that your AA flights credited properly.

Platinum Pro members earn 9 miles per dollar spent.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 11:28 am

Programs: PriorityPass, AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
AAdvantage Platinum members earn 8 miles per dollar spent (pre-tax) on AA flights. That is a 60% bonus over what non-status members earn, so it appears that your AA flights credited properly.

Platinum Pro members earn 9 miles per dollar spent.
Yes, sorry, I am Platinum Pro today but was Platinum at the time of my longer international trip.
However for that international trip (with domestic leg awards that I posted), I have no idea what the base fare may have been that they used to do the 8 mile/per fare$ spent calculation.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xtremegene
Yes, sorry, I am Platinum Pro today but was Platinum at the time of my longer international trip.
However for that international trip (with domestic leg awards that I posted), I have no idea what the base fare may have been that they used to do the 8 mile/per fare$ spent calculation.
If your international ticket was a combination of AA flights and Finnair flights, then the AA flights would have posted by fare however the fare breakout for each of the domestic AA segments would based on how they split the fare across your connections. This is not visible to you beforehand.

Also for your first trip that you mentioned in June you must have had Gold status then and just didn't realize it, as your flights posted with the Gold bonus.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GVR Bill
Yes. I booked Finnair via AA.com with AA miles<snip>
One challenge with Finnair (among several) is they seem to have moved to the Iberia model of only ever releasing one seat at a time and I don't think my wife will let me go without her!

Regards
Old Aug 18, 2023, 3:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; AA Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
One challenge with Finnair (among several) is they seem to have moved to the Iberia model of only ever releasing one seat at a time
Definitely was not the case when we booked in 2022 - an unfortunate change. Used 30K miles per ticket for LAX-ARN, a solid value versus the one way fare at the time. They even let us pay a reasonable amount to get their version of MCE (was not AA Plat at the time).
Old Aug 18, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GVR Bill
Definitely was not the case when we booked in 2022 - an unfortunate change. Used 30K miles per ticket for LAX-ARN, a solid value versus the one way fare at the time. They even let us pay a reasonable amount to get their version of MCE (was not AA Plat at the time).
Ah, fair, I can't speak to coach awards. I don't even view those when I search, so it's possible they make more of those available and I'd never know. But for business, they have gotten pretty stingy on only doling out one.

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.