Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2023, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by alshultz
That's a great idea thanks. How quickly do canceled flights turn into flight credits? If it takes more than a day for American airlines to get you the flight credit from the cancel flight I'd probably miss the lower price anyway
Or just call AA and tell them what you would like to do. The worst they can do is say no. (This was something I did quite frequently with Southwest Wanna Get Away fares).
Old Apr 2, 2023, 12:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I booked a round trip flight on American Airlines, the ticket has no change fees. I noticed today that the cost of the exact same flight itinerary went down by $120. Am I able to "change" my current flight, to the exact same itinerary, to get the better price? I assume a fight change means having to change the itinerary in some way
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
You could just cancel the ticket, get a credit for the cancellation, and use that credit to pay for the new ticket. You wont get a refund but you will have a credit left over.
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Or just call AA and tell them what you would like to do. The worst they can do is say no. (This was something I did quite frequently with Southwest Wanna Get Away fares).
When I see a reduction in price, AA or other carrier, I never hesitate to pick up the phone to call CS and have the ticket reissued at the lower price, with the balance refunded as a credit of some sort. With AA, it might make more sense to outright cancel (as others have suggested), which will generate a flight credit, then use the flight credit to purchase the same itinerary at the lower price, which should leave you the $120 balance as a trip credit. Trip credits are more flexible.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 2:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
If I am booked on a web special and have a 4 hr layover can I same day change to an earlier flight in the same connecting airport free of charge or only be put on the standby list?
Yes, you can likely change to an earlier flight. It may take asking multiple agents and a lot of typing.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:25 am
Suspended

That's a great idea thanks. How quickly do canceled flights turn into flight credits? If it takes more than a day for American airlines to get you the flight credit from the cancel flight I'd probably miss the lower price anyway
It should be immediate. Note: some flight credits can't be redeemed online, and so you have to call to use them to pay for a reservation. Even if you've put a reservation on hold and you have an email from AA with the price of the reservation, when you call, AA will try to charge you an inflated price. Hang up and call again if they do, and contact AA through Twitter if they try that stunt.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 10:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Is the AA drink list available anywhere, or has the community crowdsourced one in a wiki? About to dabble in my first AA flights in domestic/Mexico F/J... well, ever, other than the occasional IROPS rebooking from DL - and I'm curious about the various brands available onboard so I can make an informed decision about what to try that's different and unique.

Delta doesn't exactly make this obvious either, but at least there's a beverage list in the QR code onboard menus. Surely this must exist somewhere for AA, right? I found a message saying it was unpublished from a year ago, but that was right after drink service resumed, so I'm hoping someone's compiled a list since then.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 2, 2023, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BenA
Is the AA drink list available anywhere, or has the community crowdsourced one in a wiki? About to dabble in my first AA flights in domestic/Mexico F/J... well, ever, other than the occasional IROPS rebooking from DL - and I'm curious about the various brands available onboard so I can make an informed decision about what to try that's different and unique.

Delta doesn't exactly make this obvious either, but at least there's a beverage list in the QR code onboard menus. Surely this must exist somewhere for AA, right? I found a message saying it was unpublished from a year ago, but that was right after drink service resumed, so I'm hoping someone's compiled a list since then.

Thanks in advance!
I did a Google search for "American Airlines beverages":

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...cabin-food.jsp
Old Apr 2, 2023, 10:09 am

Hope this question is suitable under this thread:
I have the Barclay AA card, which comes with a $25 wifi statement credit annually. Back in December, I made a wifi purchase onboard AA, but it still hasn't been reimbursed yet. I've contacted Barclay multiple times, and they insist the system is being "upgraded" and offer no expected timeline. Has anyone experienced the same issue? If so, is there any suggestion on how to approach Barclay about this? I have a feeling that I'll never get it if I don't proactively follow up.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by guv1976
I did a Google search for "American Airlines beverages":

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...cabin-food.jsp
Awesome, thanks. I was looking at the F/J pages, which don't have a similar list. I assume the domestic F list is identical to main cabin on AA? (On DL, there are some subtle differences, like wine served from full size bottles instead of the Y wine splits)
Old Apr 2, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: AA, AI-FR, ClubVistara, KrisFlyer, EK, InterMiles
Booking using Amex Gold via Paypal on AA

An unfortunate situation that's time-sensitive - hoping someone can enlighten me here.

If I use my Amex Gold card linked to PayPal to pay for a booking on AA.com, will it still earn at 3x MR points? I don't have access to my physical card at the moment and need to get the tickets booked ASAP.
I'm confused as to whether PayPal will relay the charges to Amex as a booking on aa.com which should trigger the 3x points.

Any insights are appreciated - can't seem to get the answer via a simple search online
Old Apr 2, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; AA Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ezak
I have the Barclay AA card, which comes with a $25 wifi statement credit annually. Back in December, I made a wifi purchase onboard AA, but it still hasn't been reimbursed yet. I've contacted Barclay multiple times, and they insist the system is being "upgraded" and offer no expected timeline. Has anyone experienced the same issue? If so, is there any suggestion on how to approach Barclay about this? I have a feeling that I'll never get it if I don't proactively follow up.
That is pathetic of them, for something that should automatically track and is one of the very few "benefits" of their card. A tweet to @ BarclaysBankUS, tagging @ AmericanAir and @ FTC might help. Your experience should make anyone here considering getting that card to think twice, so maybe post your question as a new thread in the main AA area as opposed to this sub-group.

Last edited by GVR Bill; Apr 2, 2023 at 10:58 am
Old Apr 2, 2023, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SuraBoy
An unfortunate situation that's time-sensitive - hoping someone can enlighten me here.

If I use my Amex Gold card linked to PayPal to pay for a booking on AA.com, will it still earn at 3x MR points? I don't have access to my physical card at the moment and need to get the tickets booked ASAP.
I'm confused as to whether PayPal will relay the charges to Amex as a booking on aa.com which should trigger the 3x points.

Any insights are appreciated - can't seem to get the answer via a simple search online
Honestly not sure, I do know that for most Amex offers paying via PayPal typically will not trigger it, although there can be exceptions, and obviously that's a little different than triggering the standard bonus on airfare spend. I would ask over in the Amex forum as you'll likely get more help than here.

That said, if you need to purchase the tickets ASAP and don't have access to your physical card, do you really have any other options?
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by GVR Bill
That is pathetic of them, for something that should automatically track and is one of the very few "benefits" of their card. A tweet to @ BarclaysBankUS, tagging @ AmericanAir and @ FTC might help. Your experience should make anyone here considering getting that card to think twice, so maybe post your question as a new thread in the main AA area as opposed to this sub-group.
Thank you. I'm surprised there's no other discussion on this issue, as I had imagined that it could be widespread. Will post a separate thread.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ezak
Did you cross your card anniversary date?
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Did you cross your card anniversary date?
I've had this card for many years, and this's the first time I used this benefit. For the record, the charge was about 3 months before my renewal, but this shouldn't matter in my case.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP "Mid Tier Elite"
BA Award on AA metal - AA LP & AA MMM?

Is it possible to book a flight at BA.com using Avios on AA metal and earn AA LP and/or AA million miler miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.