Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How many would choose AA voluntarily if the circumstances were different?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many would choose AA voluntarily if the circumstances were different?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL at LAX has been bad since they moved out of T5.
Aside from the 3-8 minutes it takes to get from the curb through Clear to the SkyClub and the few (if any) minutes waiting for boarding after leaving the club, I've found it pretty tolerable. Not that there are other stations that are much more preferable!

T5 was never the same once the "rotunda" was removed, IMHO. Was in the T5 AC the day before Thanksgiving and feeling very nostalgic.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum
As the OP, I've intentionally held back responses as I've been simply taken up in everyone's answers. Thank you all so much - what thoughtful and comprehensive responses. I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised - I posted this in part in response to seeming disdain by many for American on this forum. When I go (less frequently) to the UA section, it seems I read less. I was expecting for things to tip more towards UA, but am surprised to see things somewhat neutral, but leaning towards AA. Perhaps that's because this was posted on the AA side of the forum?

In any case, I certainly agree with those who have challenged the premise of my question, as separating individual circumstances from "general experience" is pretty tough.

Thanks for everyone's specific comments as well, such as the comments related to my specific city. AA and UA are both viable options, though AA has a few more routes, particularly if you factor in AS. So, as someone who has nothing invested on either side and some freedom to choose, after I've done all the math with elite programs etc., I've simply been looking for those overall conclusions you folks have drawn with so much more experience than me. So, thank you all for sharing. I really appreciate it.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
You should post the exact same question in the UA forum and see what they say.

As I've mentioned, the biggest reason I don't fly UA is because of geography. It is very closely followed by OneWorld/mileage partners, though next year (hopefully) that will become less of a factor as I let my AS status lapse for 2023.

-J.
MSPeconomist and chavala like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum
Great idea. I had thought about this, but given that it would be essentially the same post, and moderators seem to want things to be placed in the correct place, I'm not sure there would be a justification to create a duplicate thread just to test out response variation, though it would be festinating. Moderators, feel free to correct me on this and I'll start a new one...
Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
As a SAN based 100% leisure flyer doing mostly transcons, the answer for me is emphatically stay loyal to Alaska. If the route network works for you, it’s hard for me to not recommend alaska in most cases unless you are a hardcore last minute full J fare business traveler. But even then, the AA/AS partnership and the incredible RDM rates on AS might make crediting your AA flights to AS still worth it.

Oneworld has been icing on the cake. The addition of QR mitigates the loss of EK, and you get a variety of other partners that the big 3 don’t have the opportunity to have a wide access to, notably SQ, KE, and LA plus a bunch of independent airlines like Iceland Air and Condor.

The cherry on top, is that the extended partnership with AA means as a soon to be 100k I’m a de facto super PlatPro on AA (being ahead of them but behind CK for upgrades on AA), and I get 2 SWU. Not to mention my companion won’t need to use stickers or whatever you guys call it.

This is a personal thing but as also a BAECG having FL access out of JFK is such a luxury.

Add in incredible redemption rates, and AS Mileageplan is having my cake and eating it too. I’ve done the math, this year I’ve spent 2.6k out of pocket to reach 100k eqm. That would barely net me AA Gold if I’m not mistaken.

YMMV
flg8rmatt likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I live in PBI and have not had any issues with co-terminal changes to FLL or (mostly) MIA during IRROPS. Who is giving pushback? Not the Admirals Club AAngels or the EXP line in my experience.

I am grateful that MIA is near -- lots of options. Wouldn't want to live there, but it's only 70 miles down the highway just in case.

Agreed on the club problem. Delta seems to be cornering this market -- they also have a club in PBI. AA needs to have an offering for smaller outstations (as they do in Tampa).
I was unaware of the Sky Club at PBI, but if they can have one, CMH and PBI and FLL should all have AA clubs! PBI has similar enplanements to CMH, and AA is the legacy carrier with the most seats out of CMH (dwarfed by WN, but still).

I've had flights moved around to very short connections that are "legal," but in my opinion unreasonable. I've had to "hang up call again" several times. Platinum now, PPRO + Platinum in the past - so no EXP line but should still provide the service. I've been lectured multiple times about how the connections are "legal." Interesting data points, for sure.

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
AA is all-in at their MIA hub and only serves FLL out of competitive necessity, nothing more. This winter they are down to two ORD-FLL non-stops a day, while UA offers five, WN four (out of MDW) and I believe B6 and NK offer non-stops as well (honestly don't care because I don't fly them) As a FLL-based traveler (half of the year) I only use MIA under duress or if I am flying to Europe and want a non-stop. While the airports are only 30 miles apart, that 30 miles can be 90 minutes in harrowing I-95 traffic.

On the bright side, the Escape Lounge network is opening a lounge in T3 at FLL. They are part of the AMEX lounge network so folks with a platinum card can use it for free. That will be a nice addition given the misery of T3 during peak times.
Bummer for the ORD connections, I definitely have felt that.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
I can forgive just about anything so long as the transoceanic lie-flat seat is comfortable - as is the case with AA's 777s and 787s.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
It is appalling how many nasty RJ145s are still in the UA network.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest
I just read something the other day that they are going to be refurbished... somehow.

-J.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by rucksack
YMMV, but I certainly wouldn't voluntarily choose AA over UA unless you only fly paid First. Their onboard experience in Y is miserable and whatever advantages their loyalty program currently have (upgrades, award space/pricing, etc.) are rapidly being diminished.
I almost always find AA paid first less expensive than UA’s first from ORD. I will fly UA to Maui in first, when they have a direct flight available.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
You should post the exact same question in the UA forum and see what they say..
Good idea.
As someone who moved to the DFW area 12 years ago and was immediately given a status match to ExPlat -- NO THANK YOU!
No transparency in the upgrade list. No "expert mode". No 24 hour Same-Day-Change. Don't even get me started on the horrible App.
And now the announcement of reduced schedules to many Intl destinations?
Moving here made me even more loyal to UA.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest
aaaaaand that is the only piece of information I need to know about UA. Never flown them, and now will not start anytime soon. Anything smaller than an Embraer 175 is a NO-GO for me.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by chavala
Good idea.
No "expert mode".
What what what whaaaat? How did I never know about this?

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/united-expert-mode/
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
What what what whaaaat? How did I never know about this?

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/united-expert-mode/
It's been around for years. It's fantastic.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:23 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I generaly fly JFK to LAS or ZRH. I was happy flying AA--I'm 2 MM (nearly all from flying) and was EXP for several years; the FL lounge was nice. AA removed the daily n/s from JFK to ZRH and ran 1/2 the number of JFK to LAS (than DL). [Jet Blue has taken up some of the missing JFK-LAS flights.]
I'm flying DL exclusively, but I do miss the FL lounge at JFK.
Affiliated cc's could be a "clincher" for some--not me though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.