Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How many would choose AA voluntarily if the circumstances were different?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many would choose AA voluntarily if the circumstances were different?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
This whole exercise is a waste of time. UA,AA, and DL are essentially the same and have been for a long time.
My advice is to pick the carrier that offers you the best schedule so you can get on with your life beside waiting in airports and sitting on planes.

But if all things were equal, I’d pick AA. Why? That’s easy— Woodford tastes better than Buffalo Trace at altitude. Your palate my vary.
There's one area where UA and DL are very different from AA: Both stopped offering AVIH animal transportation long ago. AA is the last houldout among US legacies to still allow this. That's how I started flying them.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 2:27 pm

Haven't flown UA since 1984 over an egregious service issue. 1,200,000 miles on AA, 600,000 miles on Delta, 600,000 on USAir, and 300,000 on NWA since then but I don't hold a grudge.
Spanish likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Goin-2-AA
Haven't flown UA since 1984 over an egregious service issue. 1,200,000 miles on AA, 600,000 miles on Delta, 600,000 on USAir, and 300,000 on NWA since then but I don't hold a grudge.
Nope, you obviously don't hold a grudge.
Spanish likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 4:50 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
If I could afford J/F I wouldn’t really care what airline it was on.
flg8rmatt likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 4:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
If I could afford J/F I wouldn’t really care what airline it was on.
If you can afford J/F, you absolutely would/should care what airline it was on.

Regards
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
This whole exercise is a waste of time. UA,AA, and DL are essentially the same and have been for a long time. This is quite blasphemous to those who have some sort of emotional attachment to a brand or cling to the hope of getting something free.

My advice is to pick the carrier that offers you the best schedule so you can get on with your life beside waiting in airports and sitting on planes.

But if all things were equal, I’d pick AA. Why? That’s easy— Woodford tastes better than Buffalo Trace at altitude. Your palate my vary.
DL also serves Woodford. Although Scotch drinks are currently out of luck as the only other whisky/whiskey right now is Jack Daniels.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FrankMorris
I don't think those bonus points count for LP - just dollar spend (e..g, spend $100 get 100 LP's)
I am pretty sure the points from Eshopping, fuelrewards, edining, etc count - otherwise no reason to mention them in the new LP program.
You already get the 100 points for the $100 spent. You don't need to charge to AA card to still get the miles from these portals.
You don't get anything that is called bonus in your statement - like the 2x or 3x for AA ticket purchase. You get the 1X but not the extra 1x or 2x called bonus.

Looking at my AA statement some examples;

Citi Exec Card Purchases = Yes
Citi Exec Bonus for AA purchase - No
Eshopping online purchase miles - Yes
Shell base miles - Yes

Ie - I use the eshopping portal - get the eshopping miles but charge to my Macys' card.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by cova
I am pretty sure the points from Eshopping, fuelrewards, edining, etc count - otherwise no reason to mention them in the new LP program.
You already get the 100 points for the $100 spent. You don't need to charge to AA card to still get the miles from these portals.
You don't get anything that is called bonus in your statement - like the 2x or 3x for AA ticket purchase. You get the 1X but not the extra 1x or 2x called bonus.

Looking at my AA statement some examples;

Citi Exec Card Purchases = Yes
Citi Exec Bonus for AA purchase - No
Eshopping online purchase miles - Yes
Shell base miles - Yes

Ie - I use the eshopping portal - get the eshopping miles but charge to my Macys' card.
I, for one, and hoping you're right, but the entirely too long thread on the new loyalty points system seems to be pretty consistent that dollars spent will equal loyalty points earned, but this begs the question, how do we know any of this? So, let's very much hope you're right here and that if there's a 5x bonus on Bed, Bath, & Beyond, then we get 5x loyalty points.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FrankMorris
I, for one, and hoping you're right, but the entirely too long thread on the new loyalty points system seems to be pretty consistent that dollars spent will equal loyalty points earned, but this begs the question, how do we know any of this? So, let's very much hope you're right here and that if there's a 5x bonus on Bed, Bath, & Beyond, then we get 5x loyalty points.
Right now BB&B is only 2x. BestBuy 1x, Macys 4x, etc. They vary and the merchant will send an alert for one day only - ie on Macys for 12x.
These merchants are paying AA for these miles, just like the CC pays AA for the miles you get from CC.
Say BB&B is 2x and you charge to your AA card.

Then as I see it, say you spend $100 at BB&B
AA Card pays AA for 100 points
BB&B pays eshopping for the 200 points, plus BB&B likely also pays a commission. (ie a higher amount than what eshopping pays AA for those miles).

AA is getting paid for all these - that is what counts to AA, hence the LP program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.