Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How many would choose AA voluntarily if the circumstances were different?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many would choose AA voluntarily if the circumstances were different?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Don’t sweat none of these ratchet airlines, chief. Fly the one that gets you there the fastest, offers the best times, for the cheapest price, that allows for the changes you need in your current situation, with a big seat, preferably lie flat. Loyalty is all the way played out, just like these lounges.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:56 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fastflyer
All good points.

The BXP1 instrument, which seems sometimes like a special secret, is an amazing tool -- upgrade at ticketing on any segment in G fare class or above. I am EXP and use it liberally whenever alerted that C inventory has dropped to 1 seat. Combined with my 80%+ e500 upgrade rate on the remaining (wide-open) flights, AA basically flies me in domestic F all year long. The Admirals Club for me and my four Citi cardholders is icing on the cake.

Take a look at the UA and DL boards. Their top-tier flyers are not upgraded nearly as much as we are at AA.
The Business Extra program is changing. It won't affect members who were enrolled prior to October until 2023, but it will require 3 unique travelers on the account and 5k in spend to maintain it. But the BXP1 remain a great value and I've used them many times in the past. They can even be used to go from J to F on premium 3-cabin transcons.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
I live approximately equidistant from all 3 NYC airports so I pretty much have the run of the major airlines. I also haven't qualified for any meaningful status since MQD's came along so upgrades, lounges, PDB's and any seat other than economy have little bearing on my choice.
In general, I've become agnostic so it's all up to schedule and price.

That said, If schedule, price and duration were all equal:

International
1) Most international carriers
2) Most domestic carriers

Domestic:
1) B6
2) WN --really
3) AS
4) DL
5) Tie AA, UA
7) any ULCC
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by AMflier
That said, If schedule, price and duration were all equal:

International
1) Most international carriers
2) Most domestic carriers
I'd edit this slightly to say:
1) Most Asian/ME carriers
2) All other carriers

European carriers have perhaps slightly better F&B offerings than U.S. carriers on average, but with the privatisation of many flagship carriers and the rise of European ULCCs, many European carriers have outdated hard products and are plagued by labor issues. Most South American carriers don't have enough business / luxury travel to justify much investment in their onboard product/service. It's really just Middle East and APAC carriers that have superior products/onboard service.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by AMflier
Domestic:
1) B6
2) WN --really
3) AS
4) DL
5) Tie AA, UA
7) any ULCC
Surprised you would pick B6 given their abysmal on-time performance.

AS is certainly the most pleasant IMHO, but I have been treated the best by (very surprisingly) AA.

-J.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rucksack
I'd edit this slightly to say:
1) Most Asian/ME carriers
2) All other carriers

European carriers have perhaps slightly better F&B offerings than U.S. carriers on average, but with the privatisation of many flagship carriers and the rise of European ULCCs, many European carriers have outdated hard products and are plagued by labor issues. Most South American carriers don't have enough business / luxury travel to justify much investment in their onboard product/service. It's really just Middle East and APAC carriers that have superior products/onboard service.
With the Asian and ME carriers, IMO it's also partly a matter of whether one wants extremely deferential and subservient FAs. Not everyone like this style or finds it comfortable. Similarly, a number of European carriers have more formal/businesslike FAs, while USA carriers tend to strive toward "friendly" service.
GW McLintock and rucksack like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 3:33 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've been a CO/UA sorta top tier elite since 1995, CO Gold in the bronze/silver/gold age then CO Plat then UA 1K. I've been an AA EXP since 2005. I've earned both each year because it was easy enough given my travel patterns. With the transition to spend based vs mileage based thresholds, that's becoming less so, so 2022 may be the last year I requalify for this level on both carriers. My observation and advice to the OP is things run in cycles. For a few years CO or UA provided the better experience, then AA, then back again. Luckily both carriers haven't experienced an extended period of operational incompetence at the same time. Overall, there's very little to differentiate the carriers that much these days. The upgrade situation is bad on both airlines. The award situation is bad on both airlines. Right now, UA employee morale and customer service is somewhat better, but it wasn't a few years ago and who knows what it will be a few years from now.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by fotographer
I am in the ATL.. DL of course rules here.... always fly AA..
upgrades almost 100%.. know most of the airport staff....
Same. I would never make more than maybe gold on DL because almost all N. American destinations are non-stops. I have made Plat on AA solely on segments since about 2015, then this year my travel exploded and I made EXP on segments -- though I would have made it on miles a little later, and probably would be stuck at PPro under the non-pandemic qualification targets.

As a new EXP I've been upgraded 100%, so far.

I don't see EXP happening again under the new LP system... I won't throw that much personal spend on a CC and I have to use a corporate Amex for everything on a work trip. We'll see how it goes once it starts.

My few flights on DL have been fine, but back of bus.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Same. I would never make more than maybe gold on DL because almost all N. American destinations are non-stops. I have made Plat on AA solely on segments since about 2015, then this year my travel exploded and I made EXP on segments -- though I would have made it on miles a little later, and probably would be stuck at PPro under the non-pandemic qualification targets.

As a new EXP I've been upgraded 100%, so far.

I don't see EXP happening again under the new LP system... I won't throw that much personal spend on a CC and I have to use a corporate Amex for everything on a work trip. We'll see how it goes once it starts.

My few flights on DL have been fine, but back of bus.
I dont think anyone really understands the new AA program... something that I will have to look at in detail.. when I can find the time.. which maybe next September
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:51 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
I dont think anyone really understands the new AA program... something that I will have to look at in detail.. when I can find the time.. which maybe next September
The new LP system isn't that hard to understand. You need to get in the coupon mode if you want to maximize LP points earning.

LP miles earn = what you currently earn for RDM.
ie for EXP on a $100 ticket value - you earn 11 x 100 = 1100 miles - before RDM and now in LP.
For non-elites it is 5x. and number in between for other Elite levels. Nothing changes

The difference is you now need to earn 200,000 LP points;
And going forward, no EQDs, and EQM don't count.
If currently EXP - spend $18,200 and you will get EXP. Spend more if not EXP.
Spend $0 on tickets - but lots on CC and coupons offers - get EXP.

Coupons:
1. Get an AA Credit card
2. Join eshopping
3. Join edining
4. Join Simplymiles
5. Join fuelrewards
6. Sign up for text alerts on all of the above

Example on eshopping. Macys sometimes alerts a 12x earnings day
So spend $100 at Macy's - get 12x = 1,200 points. That gives you more LP points than what $100 ticket gives an EXP in the new system (1,100).

Spend the cheapest you can on AA ticket and use that extra money to buy stuff at retailers.
bhomburg and fotographer like this.

Last edited by cova; Dec 14, 2021 at 8:06 am
Old Dec 14, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Maybe, maybe if I moved to Guam, I would fly UA.

This year I split my flights between DL and AA. I had terrible luck with AA this year, so much so, on average, it was quicker to fly DFW-ATL-TPA on DL than direct with AA. I like the SkyClub better than Admirals Club.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Spanish
I was unaware of the Sky Club at PBI, but if they can have one, CMH and PBI and FLL should all have AA clubs! PBI has similar enplanements to CMH, and AA is the legacy carrier with the most seats out of CMH (dwarfed by WN, but still).
There's talk of CMH getting a common use lounge which would be open to all airlines' passengers.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by cova
The new LP system isn't that hard to understand. You need to get in the coupon mode if you want to maximize LP points earning.

LP miles earn = what you currently earn for RDM.
ie for EXP on a $100 ticket value - you earn 11 x 100 = 1100 miles - before RDM and now in LP.
For non-elites it is 5x. and number in between for other Elite levels. Nothing changes

The difference is you now need to earn 200,000 LP points;
And going forward, no EQDs, and EQM don't count.
If currently EXP - spend $18,200 and you will get EXP. Spend more if not EXP.
Spend $0 on tickets - but lots on CC and coupons offers - get EXP.

Coupons:
1. Get an AA Credit card
2. Join eshopping
3. Join edining
4. Join Simplymiles
5. Join fuelrewards
6. Sign up for text alerts on all of the above

Example on eshopping. Macys sometimes alerts a 12x earnings day
So spend $100 at Macy's - get 12x = 1,200 points. That gives you more LP points than what $100 ticket gives an EXP in the new system (1,100).

Spend the cheapest you can on AA ticket and use that extra money to buy stuff at retailers.
I don't think those bonus points count for LP - just dollar spend (e..g, spend $100 get 100 LP's)
Old Dec 15, 2021, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spanish
I was unaware of the Sky Club at PBI, but if they can have one, CMH and PBI and FLL should all have AA clubs! PBI has similar enplanements to CMH, and AA is the legacy carrier with the most seats out of CMH (dwarfed by WN, but still).
In addition to PBI, DL has Sky Clubs in MKE, MEM, ANC (just added this summer) which are all smaller than PBI. MEM is actually the smallest airport with a club in terms of enplanements as holdover from it's NW hub days.
Spanish likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by JSprague24
There's talk of CMH getting a common use lounge which would be open to all airlines' passengers.
That's odd, as the lounge would have to be landside to accommodate it. There are three different concourses, each for DL/AS/Misc., AA, and WN, each with its own security. It would be annoying to not have it after security
Spanish likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.