FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2056814-loyalty-points-discussion-questions-2022-now-used-determining-elite-status.html)

HiAperture Oct 26, 2021 9:57 am

I guess now that there is no cabin bonus for AA flights, there really isn't an incentive to buy up to the premium cabin any more, other than just spending more money will result in more points. But nothing specifically rewarding buying paid J/F cabin tickets. But on partner flights you WILL get rewarded for cabin bonuses, on top of continuing mileage based earning. So it seems like that is an unintended incentive to book partner travel on long haul J/F tickets, is that right?

platbrownguy Oct 26, 2021 9:58 am

Seemed crushing at first, but nbd at the end of the day.

The part that "takes a minute" is realizing that it's really just that you get 11 of the new EQDs ("Loyalty Points") per $ on AA tickets. So $18,182 in spend and you're good.

I share the concern that my upgrade priority will decrease because of folks who casually throw a mil in biz spend on an AA card (and why wouldn't you, if you had a high cash-flow business... you'd be at the top of the upgrade list and you could save some cash by buying Y more often). But, end of the day, the # and frequency of those folks are priority probably similar to the # and frequency of high-EQD EXPs or CKs beating me on the upgrade list today anyhow.

Thankfully I'll have about 14 SWUs saved up from all the choice rewards etc, so not worried about changes there.

Do we know for sure that award redemptions aren't being gutted?

SKYEG Oct 26, 2021 10:00 am

Bye bye AA. Was fun for the year. Why did I waste money requal EXP. FML. It was fun while it lasted but it does not make any sense for this Canadian any more. AS will have my full business. Can't believe I was unable upgrade one single time flying with AA as I never even have a chance to buy Y once at all. Paid J business going elsewhere. $22000CAD I can qualify for AC super elite as a US resident... Still no Canadian C cards and nothing for us here to help us achieve AA EXP in any other way but more $$$

skunker Oct 26, 2021 10:01 am

So, it does look like cabin bonus counts!
I can't upload a pic because of the FT stupid new design. :mad:

Click the "i" in the first circle of the that says 1 eligible AAdvantage mile. They shouldn't hide it like that.

upinsmoke Oct 26, 2021 10:01 am

There are a few bonuses for credit card spend (from: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantageprogram/)

• For CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ Executive World Elite MastercardŽ cardmembers: 
    For the 2021 EQM period, the window to spend $40,000 on eligible purchases* has been extended by 2 months until 02/28/22.
    For the 2022 benefit year, you will earn 10,000 additional Loyalty Points instead of EQMs after spending $40,000 in eligible purchases* between 01/01/22 and 02/28/23.
  • For AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽ Silver MastercardŽ cardmembers: 
    For the 2021 elite qualification period, the window to meet spend thresholds on eligible purchases* has been extended by 2 months until 02/28/22.
    For the 2022 elite qualification period, you will earn up to 15,000 additional Loyalty Points if you meet spend requirements between 01/01/22 and 02/28/23. You will earn 5,000 Loyalty Points if you spend $20,000 on purchases, another 5,000 Loyalty Points if you spend $40,000 on purchases and another 5,000 Loyalty Points if you spend $50,000 or more on purchases.

skunker Oct 26, 2021 10:03 am

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b1001357e3.png
Wow, sorry about the size. That retina display REALLY scales up. :D

rrgg Oct 26, 2021 10:03 am

Originally Posted by HiAperture (Post 33675788)
According to OMAAT the specific question about Bask Bank qualifying or being excluded has not been announced. https://onemileatatime.com/news/amer...m=BoardingArea

Eshopping portal (base, so I assume 1pt/$) spend also counts.

The new program is basically the polar opposite of Alaska's.

It is definitely a tougher program for actual flyers, but it rewards those who earn miles in a diverse manner. It is definitely original at least!

If they count eShopping, I can't see why they wouldn't count Bask. If it's because Bask is "easier" for some people with money, well it's also easier for a business owner to put expenses on an AA credit card. Also, I'm sure Bask does not pay AA less for miles than Citi does.

upinsmoke Oct 26, 2021 10:03 am

So if you spend $50k on the Aviator Silver in 2022, you'll get 65k loyalty points.

HiAperture Oct 26, 2021 10:03 am

Does the shifting of the qualification year seem to make any difference to anyone? I hadn't seen it mentioned yet.
"In the future, members will qualify for status from March through February, with status valid through March 31 of the following year."

For winter travelers all your snowy escape or enjoyment trips will now count towards the same year's qualification instead of splitting over two years. In theory it all comes out in the wash I guess.

cmtlatitudes Oct 26, 2021 10:04 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 33675858)
Maybe my brain is mush from the limited flying over the past 1.5 years, but there hasn't been a cabin bonus on AA-marketed flights since they moved toward spend-based RDMs. The higher ticket price in paid F is what generates more miles, and now more loyalty points.
On partners, you still earn cabin bonuses.

No, AA has been (currently) 2X on discounted Business/First flights, 3X on J, F. For EQMs.

I'm still not completely sure how this translates going forward. I have to get ready for a meeting this afternoon and will tune in after for the updated Hive consensus. 🤔 It'll evolve over the next 4 hours!

bse118 Oct 26, 2021 10:06 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 33675885)
Seemed crushing at first, but nbd at the end of the day.

The part that "takes a minute" is realizing that it's really just that you get 11 of the new EQDs ("Loyalty Points") per $ on AA tickets. So $18,182 in spend and you're good.

:tu: This. If you are are EXP.
(and I don't think it has be to on AA tickets - looks like you earn on partner tickets in a similar way to how EQDs were earned there).

And then you can further reduce the spend threshold via credit card spending.

Makes it more important to keep EXP (or extend via the promo) this year. But beyond that looks OK to me.

And it doesn't change any decisions I have to make in the next days or weeks, so I'm going go ahead and check out of these threads for a while until the dust settles.

carlosdca Oct 26, 2021 10:09 am

Originally Posted by hmv (Post 33675868)
Yeap, feels like they are trying to get us non-US elites out, also because there are 0 opportunities for an AA branded credit card in Europe.

For most non-US flyers, it really does not make much sense to chase elite status with a US based FF program for several reasons.
Sure, there are some non-US based folks that have elite status with AA but their numbers are probably a very very small fraction of the elite universe.
(I myself am US based but got BA status one year, just because it made sense then due to a number of particular circumstances)

I don't think the reason is to get them out of elite status. The AA cards abroad are issued by different entities or subsidiaries of Citi for example, not the same bank.
There are behind the scene agreements between Citi and AA that probably don't apply to the subsidiaries in other countries and AA does not care anyway about abroad elites because there are not a lot and don't impact much the bottom line.

ijgordon Oct 26, 2021 10:12 am

Originally Posted by HiAperture (Post 33675879)
I guess now that there is no cabin bonus for AA flights, there really isn't an incentive to buy up to the premium cabin any more, other than just spending more money will result in more points. But nothing specifically rewarding buying paid J/F cabin tickets. But on partner flights you WILL get rewarded for cabin bonuses, on top of continuing mileage based earning. So it seems like that is an unintended incentive to book partner travel on long haul J/F tickets, is that right?

I mean the incentive to buy the premium cabin is...to fly the premium cabin. :idea:
And for AA marketed vs. partners, you have to do the math. Deep discount J will generally earn more on partners, but that was always the same before this as it related to RDMs and EQDs. A $5k+ J ticket will earn much more via AA.
This new system is essentially just like RDMs when flying.

aaupgrade Oct 26, 2021 10:13 am

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 33675818)

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 33675809)
But yikes, I forgot for a moment that you earn 5 base miles per dollars on flights (this doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on that new website) so the requirements seemed absurd.

this!!!!!^^^^^^^

same!!!

Go to Earn Miles | Partner Airlines | American Airlines to see earning on American Airlines (I know it's stupid). Shortcut here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

jordyn Oct 26, 2021 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH (Post 33675798)
Your profile was probably the sweet spot for the old program: fly just enough in longhaul F/J to rack up a ton of EQMs, and then travel like a "normal" leisure traveler the rest of the time. I think one could argue that there were plenty of passenger profiles that were more profitable to AA that had worse status than you under the old structure, e.g. lots of short-hop last-minute domestic travel at full Y, big credit card spenders, etc.

It's hard for me to believe that there are many more profitable profiles than people regularly paying for longhaul F/J, as evidenced by the fact that it's the only customer segment that AA seems to actually care about the product for. The profile that AA seems to be discouraging the most is actually pure longhaul F/J--throwing in the leisure segments will bump up your segment total so that you actually qualify for the loyalty benefits, whereas if you just fly a bunch of $1K+ segments you won't get anywhere near the 30 segment tier before getting all the Loyalty Points you need.