FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2056814-loyalty-points-discussion-questions-2022-now-used-determining-elite-status.html)

bse118 Oct 26, 2021 9:28 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes (Post 33675725)

<snip>

• For AAdvantage® credit cards, “accelerators” or “multipliers” such as: extra miles for purchases in specific categories, with specific merchants (such as American Airlines purchases) or purchases made abroad
  • <snip>
I dont think the non-US folks will like this change very much. AA definitely making this a US-centric elite program

(those bullets are from the FAQ at https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

That's an interesting exclusion - would also affect US-based people travelling abroad and using their AA card.

Mr. BoH Oct 26, 2021 9:29 am

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 33675717)
Wow. This program really seems to try and hold you hostage with the knowledge that if you leave, it’ll be twice as hard to earn status back than to retain it.

This is totally true, and I expect AA views this as a feature rather than a bug. It is a loyalty program, after all.

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 33675717)
If you didn’t hold status and set out on March 1 to earn it, you’d spend:
$6k to reach Gold, earning 5 points/$1 as a member
$6,428 more to reach Platinum, earning 7 points/$1 as a Gold
$6,250 more to reach PP, earning 8 points/$1 as a Platinum
$8,333 more to reach EP, earning 9 points/$1 as a PP.

All told, $27k and change to attain EXP in your first year. Who exactly is that going to attract?

I can't imagine many people get to EXP in year 1 this way. Perhaps status challenges will become more popular. Or perhaps a good strategy will be to direct all your CC spend to AA the year before you plan to make the switch.

355F1 Oct 26, 2021 9:30 am

Are there no bonus Loyalty Points for flying J on BA, for example?

Mr. BoH Oct 26, 2021 9:31 am

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 33675758)

Doesn't look like it. Which sort of makes sense - why would they want you earning more loyalty points on BA metal than AA metal?

olouie Oct 26, 2021 9:33 am

Originally Posted by austinrob (Post 33675733)
I fly paid F or J on the work account. I take a 3-5 transatlantic flights and a few domestic flights every year. I don’t typically hit 30 segments. I use status as a way to get benefits for when I’m on personal (out of my own pocket) travel. So I want those SWUs that I won’t be able to get without hitting 30 segments.

Looking at this program, either my travel profile type wasn’t considered, or was considered and discarded. This program change makes me google “delta status challenge”.

Am I missing something here? Yes, I can stay EXP by getting the right credit card (I just won’t get SWUs until I hit 30 segments), but that’s really pointless as I’m a paid F/J business flyer. The comp upgrades are useless. I’d board in group 1 anyway. I used status as a way to be able to fly cheaply for family travel. Now that’s all but gone.

/me finds the delta sub-forum here.

They didn’t forget about you but just decided CC spenders are more profitable for them than flyers with this pattern.

keyw Oct 26, 2021 9:33 am

Originally Posted by jackjennings (Post 33675510)
Can't see this as anything but a negative change, as someone who earns only based on flying. Previously I had about $12,000 in organic spend and would usually spend an extra $3000 to guarantee EXP for the year. But now I'll drop down to Platinum with that spending? No thanks. Unfortunately, it seems next year will be my last flying AA.

same here, will be plat pro with roughly 8500 eqd at end of year, but i would have been 15000 Loyalty Points short of platinum.

skunker Oct 26, 2021 9:34 am

Edit: cabin bonus does count!

halls120 Oct 26, 2021 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 33675507)
It's as if AAdvantage members who don't actually fly but earn lots of miles are more profitable than those that do fly the airline a bunch.

Sounds like AA is becoming a credit card company than runs an airline on the side. ;)

austinrob Oct 26, 2021 9:35 am

Originally Posted by olouie (Post 33675766)
They didn’t forget about you but just decided CC spenders are more profitable for them than flyers with this pattern.

fair enough. So they’re a credit card loyalty program now. Not a flyer loyalty program.

Seems accurate.

skunker Oct 26, 2021 9:35 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 33675772)
Sounds like AA is becoming a credit card company than runs an airline on the side. ;)

Give Dougie a couple years and the airline portion will be gone.

Beckles Oct 26, 2021 9:37 am

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 33675772)

They don't want the headache of being a credit card company, they're happy to leave that to the pros and just take their money.

HiAperture Oct 26, 2021 9:38 am

According to OMAAT the specific question about Bask Bank qualifying or being excluded has not been announced. https://onemileatatime.com/news/amer...m=BoardingArea

Eshopping portal (base, so I assume 1pt/$) spend also counts.

The new program is basically the polar opposite of Alaska's.

It is definitely a tougher program for actual flyers, but it rewards those who earn miles in a diverse manner. It is definitely original at least!

jef787 Oct 26, 2021 9:39 am

Isn't Lucky's assessment that the cabin bonus still applies:

When flying partner airlines, including oneworld partners and JetBlue:
  • You earn redeemable miles at the same rate as before, except those miles would also qualify as Loyalty Points
  • Elite status bonuses also qualify towards Loyalty Points on partner airlines, and those range from 40-120%
  • Cabin bonuses (where you earn miles for flying premium economy, business class, or first class) also qualify towards Loyalty Points
  • Just to give an example, say you’re an Executive Platinum member booking an “I” class ticket on Alaska Airlines (this is a discounted first class fare bucket, and you can find the earnings chart here) on a 1,000 mile flight; you’d earn a total of 2,700 Loyalty Points (1,000 base Loyalty Points, plus a 50% cabin bonus, plus a 120% elite status bonus)

355F1 Oct 26, 2021 9:40 am

I literally thought I had to spend $200,000 on flights or charge $200,000 on my AA card to maintain my EXP when I first read this.

I missed the whole status points multiplier thingy. lol

Maintain EXP for only $18,200 in flights..(not counting CC spend)...right?

Mr. BoH Oct 26, 2021 9:40 am

Originally Posted by austinrob (Post 33675733)
I fly paid F or J on the work account. I take a 3-5 transatlantic flights and a few domestic flights every year. I don’t typically hit 30 segments. I use status as a way to get benefits for when I’m on personal (out of my own pocket) travel. So I want those SWUs that I won’t be able to get without hitting 30 segments.

Looking at this program, either my travel profile type wasn’t considered, or was considered and discarded. This program change makes me google “delta status challenge”.

Am I missing something here? Yes, I can stay EXP by getting the right credit card (I just won’t get SWUs until I hit 30 segments), but that’s really pointless as I’m a paid F/J business flyer. The comp upgrades are useless. I’d board in group 1 anyway. I used status as a way to be able to fly cheaply for family travel. Now that’s all but gone.

/me finds the delta sub-forum here.

Your profile was probably the sweet spot for the old program: fly just enough in longhaul F/J to rack up a ton of EQMs, and then travel like a "normal" leisure traveler the rest of the time. I think one could argue that there were plenty of passenger profiles that were more profitable to AA that had worse status than you under the old structure, e.g. lots of short-hop last-minute domestic travel at full Y, big credit card spenders, etc.

But I agree your profile looks like the biggest loser in this change.