FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2056814-loyalty-points-discussion-questions-2022-now-used-determining-elite-status.html)

cmtlatitudes Oct 26, 2021 9:40 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 33675636)

"Which AAdvantage® miles do not count toward earning Loyalty Points?

For AAdvantage® credit cards, “accelerators” or “multipliers” such as: extra miles for purchases in specific categories, with specific merchants (such as American Airlines purchases) or purchases made abroad
"

I hope I'm misinterpreting this. Using my AA card to pay the electric bill will count towards loyalty points, but two weeks of spend traveling in Paris will not?

skunker Oct 26, 2021 9:43 am

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes (Post 33675800)
I hope I'm misinterpreting this. Using my AA card to pay the electric bill will count towards loyalty points, but two weeks of spend traveling in Paris will not?

They even specifically mention foreign credit cards. How are those going to earn points? Only accrue in their home country?

Mr. BoH Oct 26, 2021 9:43 am

Originally Posted by HiAperture (Post 33675788)
According to OMAAT the specific question about Bask Bank qualifying or being excluded has not been announced. https://onemileatatime.com/news/amer...m=BoardingArea

I haven't seen anything, but can't imagine they'd leave in a loophole this big.

ijgordon Oct 26, 2021 9:43 am

Originally Posted by bse118 (Post 33675592)
Is this a serious remark? Someone who is not flying (regardless of what status they hold) is not "stealing" upgrades...

I took it as tongue-in-cheek.

But yikes, I forgot for a moment that you earn 5 base miles per dollars on flights (this doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on that new website) so the requirements seemed absurd.

355F1 Oct 26, 2021 9:45 am

At least IT didn’t screw up the status extension from Jan to Mar.

My profile is showing my EXP through March 31, 2022 this morning. :)

ijgordon Oct 26, 2021 9:45 am

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes (Post 33675800)

I read that as any bonus miles earned from purchases made abroad wouldn't qualify, but I agree it's confusing as written.

Catbert10 Oct 26, 2021 9:46 am

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 33675797)
I literally thought I had to spend $200,000 on flights or charge $200,000 on my AA card to maintain my EXP when I first read this.

I missed the whole status points multiplier thingy. lol

Maintain EXP for only $18,200 in flights..(not counting CC spend)...right?

Or $16,667 if you purchase all your AA flights on a co-branded AA card

355F1 Oct 26, 2021 9:47 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 33675809)
but yikes, i forgot for a moment that you earn 5 base miles per dollars on flights (this doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on that new website) so the requirements seemed absurd.

this!!!!!^^^^^^^

same!!!

HiAperture Oct 26, 2021 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH (Post 33675808)
I haven't seen anything, but can't imagine they'd leave in a loophole this big.

On the one hand when interest rates rise leaving money in Bask Bank will be more profitable for the bank. On the other hand if they allow it you can basically guarantee whatever status you want every year by parking money in the savings account. Presumably if you even desire status you do some flying so its not even like you would need to have say $200k in the bank to maintain EXP.

sxpsxpsxp Oct 26, 2021 9:49 am

I've read this and re-read this, and I am still thoroughly confused about how you earn these newfangled loyalty points by flying....

Below are two recent segments I flew as an example, with current counters:

Segment 1 (booked in I): EQMs: 6530, EQDs: 3107, award base miles: 15535, elite bonus: 6214
Segment 2 (booked in V): EQMs: 500, EQDs: 194, award base miles: 970, elite bonus: 388

How do I figure out how many loyalty points I would have gotten for these two segments? It says cabin and tier bonuses get factored in somehow...

enviroian Oct 26, 2021 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH (Post 33675596)
It's not $40k, it's $18k if you are EXP now

So if one currently spends $40K a year on the Citi exec card (and $17K year in EQD) how would that translate to EQP (re) qualification? It's confusing.

MiamiBill Oct 26, 2021 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 33675564)
But then you'll have all those people who spend $200k but don't actually fly stealing upgrades.

I don't think anyone spending $200k per year on a credit card spend wants to steal an upgrade as they will probably just pay for FC tickets and not play the game

Originally Posted by skunker (Post 33675610)
Initial take I think its crazy to think you could qualify for Plat Pro or EXP and still not earn SWUs. I've qualified for EXP with much less than 30 total segments.

AA seems to be pushing us to avoid non-stop flights

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH (Post 33675639)
I assume you mean "Mileage runs will never matter again." ? If so, good riddance. I always found the idea of flying the longest circuitous route to a destination only to turn around and come back to be a waste of time, resources, and bad for the environment.

So now we are blaming the, far and few between, mileage runners for hurting the environment???

ijgordon Oct 26, 2021 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 33675480)
Am I reading this correctly - there is no longer a bonus mileage / loyalty point bonus for paid first class?

Maybe my brain is mush from the limited flying over the past 1.5 years, but there hasn't been a cabin bonus on AA-marketed flights since they moved toward spend-based RDMs. The higher ticket price in paid F is what generates more miles, and now more loyalty points.
On partners, you still earn cabin bonuses.

hmv Oct 26, 2021 9:54 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes (Post 33675725)

Which AAdvantage® miles do not count toward earning Loyalty Points?

• Bonus miles earned from special promotions
  • Miles from Buy, Gift, Transfer transactions
  • Government taxes, fees, and other charges associated with buying a ticket do not count toward earning AAdvantage® miles and do not count toward earning Loyalty Points
  • Conversion of another program currency to AAdvantage® miles
  • For AAdvantage® credit cards, “accelerators” or “multipliers” such as: extra miles for purchases in specific categories, with specific merchants (such as American Airlines purchases) or purchases made abroad
  • AAdvantage® credit cards new account or welcome bonuses, spend bonuses, etc.
I dont think the non-US folks will like this change very much. AA definitely making this a US-centric elite program

(those bullets are from the FAQ at https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

Yeap, feels like they are trying to get us non-US elites out, also because there are 0 opportunities for an AA branded credit card in Europe.

Mr. BoH Oct 26, 2021 9:57 am

Originally Posted by MiamiBill (Post 33675833)
So now we are blaming the, far and few between, mileage runners for hurting the environment???

Are you claiming that flying thousands of miles for no purpose other than elite status is good for the environment? I'll grant you it is way way (way) down on the list of problems. But in no way a good thing at the margin.