FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2056814-loyalty-points-discussion-questions-2022-now-used-determining-elite-status.html)

Lomapaseo Oct 26, 2021 10:18 am

Hmmm , hard to keep up with prediction of how many are ahead of you getting upgraded.

Certainly the competition is reduced based on status if a large percentage don't actually fly

I'm happy to not even compete as long as I get my free bag and shorter baggage check line so no worries about me standing in front of you at boarding

Doppy Oct 26, 2021 10:21 am

Getting started in this program is crazy. $6k on tickets to get to gold; it's $5k just to requalify at that level??

Is there anything definitive on eShopping? Is it just base $1 = 1 point? I suppose if you put that on an AA credit card you'll get 2 points / dollar.

Originally Posted by MiamiBill (Post 33675833)
I don't think anyone spending $200k per year on a credit card spend wants to steal an upgrade as they will probably just pay for FC tickets and not play the game

Plenty of people with business expenses for things like inventory and services they run through their credit cards who aren't in the "paid first class" category of traveler.

LovePrunes Oct 26, 2021 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH (Post 33675878)
Are you claiming that flying thousands of miles for no purpose other than elite status is good for the environment? I'll grant you it is way way (way) down on the list of problems. But in no way a good thing at the margin.

Karen shouldn't really be deciding If someone's trip is worthwhile

enviroian Oct 26, 2021 10:23 am

where does it state you get 11 loyalty points per dollar spent on flights as an EXP?

aaupgrade Oct 26, 2021 10:26 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33676003)
where does it state you get 11 loyalty points per dollar spent on flights as an EXP?

See link in post 134

HiAperture Oct 26, 2021 10:27 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 33675954)
I mean the incentive to fly the premium cabin is...to fly the premium cabin. :idea:
And for AA marketed vs. partners, you have to do the math. Deep discount J will generally earn more on partners, but that was always the same before this as it related to RDMs and EQDs. A $5k+ J ticket will earn much more via AA.
This new system is essentially just like RDMs when flying.

I guess I am thinking more a domestic flight, say 2 hours, where Economy is $250 and First is $350. You might spend the extra $100 instead of taking the chance on the upgrade, to get the 2x EQM. Now you might as well stay in economy and wait for the upgrade, especially with current domestic first service.

355F1 Oct 26, 2021 10:28 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade (Post 33675960)
Go to Earn Miles | Partner Airlines | American Airlines to see earning on American Airlines (I know it's stupid). Shortcut here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

I must be dense because I don't see anything there about earnings once this new program takes effect. It's only showing based on the current/previous earning structure. (It's still showing EQDs...)

Microwave Oct 26, 2021 10:28 am

I've retitled this thread in an attempt to capture the gist of the topic and changes announced.

~Moderator

skunker Oct 26, 2021 10:30 am

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...fa564c3a31.png

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33676003)

It's been that way every since they switched to EQD. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Also, the calculator shows that's not changing.

garykung Oct 26, 2021 10:30 am

Originally Posted by obunewbie17 (Post 33675652)
Everyone has acknowledged CC spend being the big winner here. But just know that if Costco ever accepts Mastercard...that's when you'll have a flood of new elites. With my family's grocery bill, I'd probably hit some level of status just off of my grocery bills.

Costco does accept MC, but simply not at a B&M warehouse/gas station. Also - this can be easily resolved by Costco Cash Card, i.e. you use MC to purchase the Cash Card online and spend Cash Card at a B&M warehouse/gas station.

The best part - Costco Cash card is not MS as it is a store-specific GC.

Your tradeoff is any potential cashback from Citi Costco Card (but you still get the 2% Executive bonus if you are an Executive member).

ChurnieEls Oct 26, 2021 10:30 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes (Post 33676002)
Karen shouldn't really be deciding If someone's trip is worthwhile

I doubt the demographic you associate that name with would give a toss, but a lot of the younger generations most certainly do.

FT Oct 26, 2021 10:33 am

Originally Posted by olouie (Post 33675511)
That’s only if you are current EXP. For new member it’s $27000 EQD ish. So if you fall of the wagon it’s going to be rough if earning by flying. But yeah the CC spend counting helps but takes away from any illusion that this is a FFP. It’s just a cash gray program for spenders now.

I have to believe they'll have promotions that help offset some of the increase. Hoping for that anyway...

hmv Oct 26, 2021 10:34 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca (Post 33675936)
For most non-US flyers, it really does not make much sense to chase elite status with a US based FF program for several reasons.
Sure, there are some non-US based folks that have elite status with AA but their numbers are probably a very very small fraction of the elite universe.
(I myself am US based but got BA status one year, just because it made sense then due to a number of particular circumstances)

I don't think the reason is to get them out of elite status. The AA cards abroad are issued by different entities or subsidiaries of Citi for example, not the same bank.
There are behind the scene agreements between Citi and AA that probably don't apply to the subsidiaries in other countries and AA does not care anyway about abroad elites because there are not a lot and don't impact much the bottom line.

While initially being a bit skeptic, I am finding some sweet spots now in the new program. As Platinum I would need 3 annual trips of 12.500 miles flying per trip on for instance BA, in premium economy, to make it to my new platinum status. Flying J would give me 25% more earnings, however, tickets in J are costing more than 25% compared to premium economy. Am I correct with these calculations?

355F1 Oct 26, 2021 10:35 am

Originally Posted by hmv (Post 33676068)
While initially being a bit skeptic, I am finding some sweet spots now in the new program. As Platinum I would need 3 annual trips of 12.500 miles flying per trip on for instance BA, in premium economy, to make it to my new platinum status. Flying J would give me 25% more earnings, however, tickets in J are costing more than 25% compared to premium economy. Am I correct with these calculations?

This is exactly how I earn almost all of my 100k+ EQMs and EQDs every year to make EXP. BA PE/J is the way to go.

PHL Oct 26, 2021 10:38 am

Ben Baldnaza was right almost 20 years ago when, as head of Marketing for US Airways, he said (I'm paraphrasing) - a frequent flyer is not necessarily the kind of customer they wanted. He was always about $$$ loyalty above the mileage runners. This was right around the time when US had very generous bonus offers for mileage runners on dirt cheap fares.