FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2056814-loyalty-points-discussion-questions-2022-now-used-determining-elite-status.html)

skunker Oct 26, 2021 9:20 am

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber (Post 33675705)
Am I right that there's now pretty much no downside to booking long-haul Basic Economy if you plan to use SWUs (and have fixed plans)?

-- BE tickets now count toward Loyalty Points the same as all others
-- BE tickets can be SWUed

First pass, yes, that sounds correct.

skunker Oct 26, 2021 9:22 am

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls (Post 33675708)
Do you get LPs for the BIS? (aka EQMs at present) - that's something that's unclear to me.

Yes, that's the "base miles" they refer to. Check a partner airline and you'll see it in the second column.

On AA flights it's only done on fare though.

javabytes Oct 26, 2021 9:22 am

Wow. This program really seems to try and hold you hostage with the knowledge that if you leave, it’ll be twice as hard to earn status back than to retain it.

If you didn’t hold status and set out on March 1 to earn it, you’d spend:
$6k to reach Gold, earning 5 points/$1 as a member
$6,428 more to reach Platinum, earning 7 points/$1 as a Gold
$6,250 more to reach PP, earning 8 points/$1 as a Platinum
$8,333 more to reach EP, earning 9 points/$1 as a PP.

All told, $27k and change to attain EXP in your first year. Who exactly is that going to attract?

joeyE Oct 26, 2021 9:22 am

How does all this affect a traveler that reaches EXP strictly through segments, with an annual CC spend of $0 (all my cc spend is on a Hilton cc).

LovePrunes Oct 26, 2021 9:23 am

Which AAdvantage® miles do not count toward earning Loyalty Points?

• Bonus miles earned from special promotions
  • Miles from Buy, Gift, Transfer transactions
  • Government taxes, fees, and other charges associated with buying a ticket do not count toward earning AAdvantage® miles and do not count toward earning Loyalty Points
  • Conversion of another program currency to AAdvantage® miles
  • For AAdvantage® credit cards, “accelerators” or “multipliers” such as: extra miles for purchases in specific categories, with specific merchants (such as American Airlines purchases) or purchases made abroad
  • AAdvantage® credit cards new account or welcome bonuses, spend bonuses, etc.
I dont think the non-US folks will like this change very much. AA definitely making this a US-centric elite program

(those bullets are from the FAQ at https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

Antarius Oct 26, 2021 9:24 am

Originally Posted by joeyE (Post 33675718)
How does all this affect a traveler that reaches EXP strictly through segments, with an annual CC spend of $0 (all my cc spend is on a Hilton cc).

Depends on what your spend is.

cmtlatitudes Oct 26, 2021 9:24 am

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes (Post 33675591)
From a quick read, it seems like Business/First bonuses are gone past 2021 qualification. Partner flights will still be based on miles. But that's as far as new Program release goes --- at least on my very quick first read through..

I might be wrong about this. A pop-up box in the announcement says: Eligible AAdvantage® Miles include all base miles you earn, as well as elite bonus and cabin bonus miles you earn from flying. See FAQs for exclusions.

So that means from the current Award Charts? Not sure. Have to digest this more tonight when I have time.

aaflyer1 Oct 26, 2021 9:24 am

Originally Posted by obunewbie17 (Post 33675652)
Everyone has acknowledged CC spend being the big winner here. But just know that if Costco ever accepts Mastercard...that's when you'll have a flood of new elites. With my family's grocery bill, I'd probably hit some level of status just off of my grocery bills.

You can use mastercard at costco, if you go to Costco.com and buy a Costco cash card it will let you pay with your mastercard, then use the Costco cash card at costco for any purchase.

wakesetter93 Oct 26, 2021 9:24 am

Brett, CrankyFlier, has a good breakdown on his site.

CrankyFlier - American Announces the End of the Frequent Flier Program With Elite Status That Can Be Earned Without Flying

That feels like the airline is admitting something that has been increasingly obvious over time. The money made from credit cards and partners is enormous, and now American is just recognizing the importance.

austinrob Oct 26, 2021 9:25 am

Not good for people with my pattern of travel

I fly paid F or J on the work account. I take a 3-5 transatlantic flights and a few domestic flights every year. I don’t typically hit 30 segments. I use status as a way to get benefits for when I’m on personal (out of my own pocket) travel. So I want those SWUs that I won’t be able to get without hitting 30 segments.

Looking at this program, either my travel profile type wasn’t considered, or was considered and discarded. This program change makes me google “delta status challenge”.

Am I missing something here? Yes, I can stay EXP by getting the right credit card (I just won’t get SWUs until I hit 30 segments), but that’s really pointless as I’m a paid F/J business flyer. The comp upgrades are useless. I’d board in group 1 anyway. I used status as a way to be able to fly cheaply for family travel. Now that’s all but gone.

/me finds the delta sub-forum here.

Mr. BoH Oct 26, 2021 9:26 am

Originally Posted by joeyE (Post 33675718)

In theory, not in a good way, as EQSs are effectively abolished. But usually if you are qualifying now via EQS, you probably have a relatively high spend (unless you are getting dirt-cheap fares), so the new program might work out for you.

honzeek_cz Oct 26, 2021 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH (Post 33675670)
Maybe I should have posted the "Q" from the FAQ in my first post too. When you include that, I think it is pretty clear in the context of the question they are answering:

So if Iam reading this right, example of OTP-DOH-SEA on QR in R or I class would only get you 18,725 loyalty points (distance based on GC Map)

guv1976 Oct 26, 2021 9:27 am

Keep $125K at Bask Bank for one year and get Platinum Pro?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...94556a0a58.png

I'm not seeing any exclusion for AAdvantage miles earned at Bask Bank.

CLT Oct 26, 2021 9:27 am

In a way, I think AA is somewhat giving people what they want in the post-COVID world where more and more people are becoming free agents.

If you already have status and hold a CC, it'll be very easy to maintain at least some level of status. It's true, I might not be able to maintain my current EXP level, but to be honest, EXP status really isn't what it used to be, at least for me. If you live in NYC/DC/LA/CHI, this announcement somewhat gives you a security blanket and essentially frees you from whatever ties you have with AA. Knowing that I can always fall back on my CC spend will essentially given me an advantage to book travel on whomever has the best option for my travel needs, rather than simply booking AA/OW to keep status. With this announcement I can basically be a free agent and still hold Plat.

Beckles Oct 26, 2021 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH (Post 33675670)
Maybe I should have posted the "Q" from the FAQ in my first post too. When you include that, I think it is pretty clear in the context of the question they are answering:

You think it's clear when they define base miles as base miles plus bonus miles? :)

Like I said, I think you're right now that I tried out the calculator. I'm a pretty smart guy, some of their explanation is confusing because they don't do a great job distinguishing between base miles, bonus miles, Eligible miles, and Loyalty Points. A picture would probably be worth the thousand words they used.