FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2056814-loyalty-points-discussion-questions-2022-now-used-determining-elite-status.html)

jordyn Oct 26, 2021 9:03 am

The 30 segments thing is interesting. Back when I did lots of (paid, premium) International travel, I think there were several years where I qualified for EXP with fewer than 30 segments. It seems super easy to spend >$600 per segment with long-haul flight patterns; but now AA is encouraging me to change the mix to give them more short-haul travel just to keep my segment count up. Not sure the incentives really make sense on that one.

anaggie Oct 26, 2021 9:03 am

If I read the article correctly, the elite multiplier doesn’t apply to credit card spend. You still earn 1 loyalty point per dollar spent (not counting bonus spend categories). The multiplier only comes to play when you buy tickets on American or its partners.

I spent something like 9k (not including the 3k given to me by AA) on AA last year which would equate to 99k loyalty points. I only had 23 segments. I will probably spend 15k this year because ticket prices have gone up, therefore I would earn 165k loyalty points and would still need to spend 40k on the card to earn EXP. I could probably hit the 30 segment mark to unlock the rewards since almost all my flights are J long haul. I am guessing EQMs don’t count for anything anymore. Is it just going to be EQDs, EQS and loyalty points?

Would it be possible for some of my friends to earn platinum status just by spending 75k on the card in their businesses without having to do any actual flying?

Huge positive — award charts not going away — YAY !!!!

obunewbie17 Oct 26, 2021 9:05 am

Everyone has acknowledged CC spend being the big winner here. But just know that if Costco ever accepts Mastercard...that's when you'll have a flood of new elites. With my family's grocery bill, I'd probably hit some level of status just off of my grocery bills.

Long Train Runnin Oct 26, 2021 9:05 am

So, back of the envelope math here that means Finnair J is now the best way to fly (in C and D class)?

With the 100% per mile plus the 100% cabin bonus turning into loyalty points?

That is 18,066 miles flown on a JFK-HEL-BKK round trip.

Meaning you'd get 36,132 loyalty points as a base member and and another 43,358 if you were EXP?

That is 79,490 points for what can be flown for ~3k. I must be missing something though.

Plus, I guess another ~3k if booked on your AA card.

Mr. BoH Oct 26, 2021 9:06 am

Originally Posted by LesleyWest (Post 33675634)
Did a quick check on the future status calculator at AA's website (under the loyalty program news link). I do a lot of multi-leg domestic trips through hubs. Looks like without CC spend/other spend AA has tidily booted me back from Platinum to Gold. In a huge way. I'm assuming they'll honor Platinum in 2022 but then I'm tossed. On top of all the other abuse this year I am seriously wondering if a concerted effort to switch to United might be worth it. Really feel valued by you, American! Not. : (

Are you sure? If you were reaching the $9k EQD threshold for Platinum, that means you would earn 9000 * (5 + 5*.6) = 72,000 loyalty points under the new structure. Which is pretty darn close to the 75k threshold for platinum.

Edit: never mind, I looked at the wrong EQD threshold. Correct threshold should be $6k, making the math 6000* (5 + 5*.6) = 48,000. So still a little ways to go for requal

Beckles Oct 26, 2021 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH (Post 33675590)
Nope, you're not reading it right. Check the calculator on the page if you don't believe me.

I disagree that I'm not reading it right, but if you plug the numbers in the calculator it appears you are correct. For example, what you quoted from the site:

In the air: All base miles earned from flying on Loyalty Point-qualifying airlines (flights marketed by American Airlines, oneworldŽ airlines, and JetBlue). This includes:
  • Basic Economy tickets on American
  • All status bonuses earned when flying on American Airlines and eligible partner airlines

Is terribly worded. They try to make it easy by distinguishing between miles and Loyalty Points to start, but then they conflate miles and Loyalty Points in their explanation, making it less clear. Yet in that statement they say all base miles, then say that base miles include bonus miles, and really what they mean is that all those miles are Loyalty Points. Elsewhere they have this wording:

Eligible AAdvantageŽ Miles include all base miles you earn, as well as elite bonus and cabin bonus miles you earn from flying. See FAQs for exclusions.
And then state that each of those equal one Loyalty Point, that is a little more clear, but is footnoted instead of more clearly stated.

What this means is you also are encouraged to do one big push to earn status in Year 1 and then if you fly AA some it's much easier to maintain that status with lower levels of flying.

lon3volf Oct 26, 2021 9:06 am

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes (Post 33675591)
From a quick read, it seems like Business/First bonuses are gone past 2021 qualification. Partner flights will still be based on miles..

Is that essentially saying that regardless of which partner airline you fly or even AA, what matters is the Base Miles and Cabin bonus to count towards these Loyalty Points followed by any existing status Bonus? (Since EQMs and EQDs will be gone)

Sandeep1 Oct 26, 2021 9:08 am

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes (Post 33675591)
From a quick read, it seems like Business/First bonuses are gone past 2021 qualification. Partner flights will still be based on miles. But that's as far as new Program release goes --- at least on my very quick first read through.

We all breath a collective sigh of relief Partner miles aren't devalued. However isn't that only an assumption because the update is silent on Award Charts? Not sure anything in today's announcement actually precludes waking up tomorrow to Partner award devaluations, either earning or spending.

Nothing imminent per Heather Samp.

xliioper Oct 26, 2021 9:09 am

Originally Posted by anaggie (Post 33675645)
Would it be possible for some of my friends to earn platinum status just by spending 75k on the card in their businesses without having to do any actual flying?

Sure, but what would be the point if they are not flying? And if they were to fly a couple J award trips a year, what additional benefits would they get from having Plat status? It might make people feel special, but the actual costs to AA and benefits from having status in such hypotheticals is marginal.

Mr. BoH Oct 26, 2021 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 33675660)
For example, what you quoted from the site:

Is terribly worded. They try to make it easy by distinguishing between miles and Loyalty Points to start, but then they conflate miles and Loyalty Points in their explanation, making it less clear. Yet in that statement they say all base miles, then say that base miles include bonus miles, and really what they mean is that all those miles are Loyalty Points. Elsewhere they have this wording:And then state that each of those equal one Loyalty Point, that is a little more clear, but is footnoted instead of more clearly stated.

Maybe I should have posted the "Q" from the FAQ in my first post too. When you include that, I think it is pretty clear in the context of the question they are answering:

Which AAdvantageŽ miles count toward earning Loyalty Points?

In the air: All base miles earned from flying on Loyalty Point-qualifying airlines (flights marketed by American Airlines, oneworldŽ airlines, and JetBlue). This includes:
  • Basic Economy tickets on American
  • All status bonuses earned when flying on American Airlines and eligible partner airlines

355F1 Oct 26, 2021 9:13 am

Jesus Christ.

Game Changer(ender), for sure....

Cannot believe AA actually implemented something original instead of copying DL/UA.

Might have to switch my program to Alaska since almost all of my EQDs were earned flying partner PE/J anyway..,,

LINDEGR Oct 26, 2021 9:13 am

Originally Posted by golfer20 (Post 33675521)
No, unless the partner earning charts continue to be miles-based.

That is critical for me. I fly a lot of BA, IB and QR flights in J and/or F and that allows me to keep my status.

skunker Oct 26, 2021 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin (Post 33675654)
So, back of the envelope math here that means Finnair J is now the best way to fly (in C and D class)?

With the 100% per mile plus the 100% cabin bonus turning into loyalty points?

That is 18,066 miles flown on a JFK-HEL-BKK round trip.

Meaning you'd get 36,132 loyalty points as a base member and and another 43,358 if you were EXP?

That is 79,490 points for what can be flown for ~3k. I must be missing something though.

Plus, I guess another ~3k if booked on your AA card.

Edit: cabin bonus does count, see below

taxicabnumber Oct 26, 2021 9:19 am

Am I right that there's now pretty much no downside to booking long-haul Basic Economy if you plan to use SWUs (and have fixed plans)?

-- BE tickets now count toward Loyalty Points the same as all others
-- BE tickets can be SWUed

ChurnieEls Oct 26, 2021 9:20 am

Do you get LPs for the BIS? (aka EQMs at present) - that's something that's unclear to me.