FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2056814-loyalty-points-discussion-questions-2022-now-used-determining-elite-status.html)

taxatty56 Oct 26, 2021 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by _kurt (Post 33676462)
Most of us are not reading it that way at all. The mention of purchases made abroad is under the list of bonus points that don’t count as Loyalty Points. So if a card offered an extra 1 mile per dollar bonus on foreign transactions, those transactions would still only earn 1 loyalty point per dollar even though they are earning 2 RDM. Just the same as AA purchases charged to a Citi card will only earn 1 LP per dollar.

Understood, and I hope you're correct. I don't recall (at least recently) any such bonus points incentive for this purpose.

thatmikereed Oct 26, 2021 12:39 pm

So I ran some numbers to plan for next year. I'm a hybrid AS/AA flyer, often flying on the cheapest economy fare (non-basic) on either carrier (business travel), with some personal thrown in. Because I'm on bottom-half economy fares, it's a significant loss to credit flights to anyone other than the operating carrier (25-50% vs. 100%).

If I assume I'm Gold on AA and MVP on Alaska (both OW Ruby), and a typical flight on AS might be AUS-LAX-AUS @ $176 fare, even if could buy and fly the same fare on AA then AS is the much better program choice for me.

Buying AS, crediting to AS: 2476 EQM, 13% of the way to re-qualifying MVP. I need 8 of these round trips to re-qual.
Buying AA, crediting to AA: 1239 LP, 4% of the way to re-qualifying Gold. I need 25 of these round trips to re-qual.

I literally earn three times as much, status-wise, by buying, flying and crediting to AS. Where those routes overlap, AS becomes the obvious choice.

This also means making a mileage run to finally cross 1MM with AA and get Lifetime Gold is a much, much better value prop long-term for me now, as it means I only have to "focus" on one program. I'm 13,000 miles away from that.

FlyingEgghead Oct 26, 2021 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by BillBurn (Post 33676531)
While partner tickets get cabin and status bonus they only get the status bonus on the base MILES, so for an EXP you only get 120% bonus on the base miles, not 11X the base TICKET PRICE.you would on an AA ticket. There will certainly be some specific partner tickets that are a better deal than flying on an AA ticket (very long flights with a heavily discounted F/J/PE), but in general it will likely be better to fly on AA ticket/metal to maximize loyalty points.

Yes, there is a bit of loss in the overall power of partner tickets, but they remain a heavy favorite in their sweet spot, when you can routinely get 2x or higher EQD multipliers on dollars spent, which will translate to 20 or more Loyalty Points per dollar spent.

lsquare Oct 26, 2021 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead (Post 33676546)
AA flights are also devalued, just not quite as much. Going from a 15,000 EQD requirement to a 18,182 EQD requirement (for EXP requal flying AA) is an 18% devaluation. So your 27% number doesn't correspond to "further devalue flying on partner tickets vs. AA tickets".

Yep, and it makes qualifying for Exp as a newbie is much more difficult.

BillBurn Oct 26, 2021 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead (Post 33676546)
AA flights are also devalued, just not quite as much. Going from a 15,000 EQD requirement to a 18,182 EQD requirement (for EXP requal flying AA) is an 18% devaluation. So your 27% number doesn't correspond to "further devalue flying on partner tickets vs. AA tickets".

Yes I agree that it is tougher to reach EXP on AA tickets in the new program as well however I think my statement that the change further devalues flying on partner tickets vs AA tickets" is still accurate.

Consider my example (EXP flying discount J JFK-LHR). If you assume a $4,000 base ticket cost, that would have gotten you 26.7% of EXP EQD ($4k/$15k) under old program and now gets you 22% (44/200) of EXP Loyalty points so a devaluation of 17.6% on AA ticket vs. the devaluation of 27% on BA/Partner ticket in my prior post, so clearly partner flying has been further devalued relative to flying on AA tickets although you are correct to point out that both have been devalued in absolute terms as well.

jamabam Oct 26, 2021 12:56 pm

Delete

bse118 Oct 26, 2021 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by jamabam (Post 33676625)
This had me digging into the original/current terms and conditions. At least on the Executive World Elite card, apparently foreign charges never earned miles. I guess that makes sense since they waive the foreign transaction fee, so that is a cost offset to them to not offer miles on the purchase either. Wow TIL!

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/ci...al-information
1 Mile Per $1AAdvantage® miles are earned on purchases, except balance transfers, cash advances, checks that access your credit card account, items and services returned for credit, unauthorized charges, interest and account fees, traveler's checks, purchases of foreign currency, money orders, wire transfers (and similar cash-like transactions), lottery tickets, and gaming chips (and similar betting transactions).

Huh?

That says "purchases of foreign currency" did not earn miles on the Executive World Elite card. That's not all the same thing as transactions in a foreign currency.

FlyingEgghead Oct 26, 2021 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by jamabam (Post 33676625)
This had me digging into the original/current terms and conditions. At least on the Executive World Elite card, apparently foreign charges never earned miles. I guess that makes sense since they waive the foreign transaction fee, so that is a cost offset to them to not offer miles on the purchase either. Wow TIL!

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/ci...al-information
1 Mile Per $1AAdvantage® miles are earned on purchases, except balance transfers, cash advances, checks that access your credit card account, items and services returned for credit, unauthorized charges, interest and account fees, traveler's checks, purchases of foreign currency, money orders, wire transfers (and similar cash-like transactions), lottery tickets, and gaming chips (and similar betting transactions).

That says purchases of foreign currency (i.e., using the card to buy physical cash), not purchases in foreign currency.

jamabam Oct 26, 2021 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead (Post 33676643)
That says purchases of foreign currency (i.e., using the card to buy physical cash), not purchases in foreign currency.

AH, thanks I stand corrected and will delete. Apologies, taking in lots of info very fast has my head spinning!

BillBurn Oct 26, 2021 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by lon3volf (Post 33676527)
From what I gather, its about same to fly partner airlines if you hold no status or just gold since flying with AA earns just 5x the revenue, or 7x.
E.g. Discount JFK-LHR RT would be about $2000. Per your math, you would have earned 6880 base plus 25% cabin as a base. and 40% bonus assuming Gold.
That is 6880+1720+2752 = 11352..
However same flight via AA would have been 7x Price (1700+300 in taxes?) = 11900 miles.
Pretty comparable, however flying AA would be super beneficial if you Platinum pro or Platinum Exec.

Yes very good point. There will certainly still be sweet spots for partner flights depending on status, city pair, price, etc.

yabadoo Oct 26, 2021 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by skunker (Post 33676296)
Yes, cabin bonus only applies to partner metal. An AA EXP flying BA I code would earn 100% base miles, 120% elite bonus, and 25% cabin bonus for a total of 245% of miles flown as loyalty points.

In a nutshell, AA will only give you eligible miles based on $ spent on the fare, what class you fly whether F/J is not relevant for calculating the eligible miles and therefore loyalty points. Whereas, if you fly international on partner airlines where eligible miles are calculated based on distance flown, cabin bonus and elite bonus, you could end up with more miles than you would on AA. It all depends on the AA fare for the route and the comparative partner mileage credit, you will have to plan in advance which option is better to optimize the maximum mileage earning ability per $ spent in such cases.

Mr. BoH Oct 26, 2021 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER (Post 33676395)
EXP requirement is 12k this year, and technically can even be waived with CC spend.

Regardless, essentially getting bumped from PP to Gold is pretty terrible.

Even ignoring that 2021 requirements were reduced, the math still doesn't work. 12k EQD equals 132,000 loyalty points. So you would go from EXP to PP with similar travel patterns.

Credit card waiver is irrelevant, because that doesn't apply for EXP and you said you were qualifying for EXP this year.

lsquare Oct 26, 2021 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by BillBurn (Post 33676613)
Yes I agree that it is tougher to reach EXP on AA tickets in the new program as well however I think my statement that the change further devalues flying on partner tickets vs AA tickets" is still accurate.

Consider my example (EXP flying discount J JFK-LHR). If you assume a $4,000 base ticket cost, that would have gotten you 26.7% of EXP EQD ($4k/$15k) under old program and now gets you 22% (44/200) of EXP Loyalty points so a devaluation of 17.6% on AA ticket vs. the devaluation of 27% on BA/Partner ticket in my prior post, so clearly partner flying has been further devalued relative to flying on AA tickets although you are correct to point out that both have been devalued in absolute terms as well.

I wonder if, in the long run, whether AA elites will move to UA and DL? I feel sick knowing that AA is running its program to the ground.

Adelphos Oct 26, 2021 1:15 pm

So AA, and I guess Delta to an extent, are saying

“If you are a flyer that flies a bit for business, a bit more for leisure, mainly domestic but maybe some international, and you like AA perks and are willing to put a lot of your non AA spending on a credit card, we will make it easier and easier for you to keep and gain status.”

Seems to make sense to me in a world with less expense account business travel

LHSEN Oct 26, 2021 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 33676528)
It seems like PPRO might be the best value based on this new system—especially for partner lounge access on international flights.

That‘s what I‘m also thinking - esp. if you are just after Emerald and based outside of the USA or outside of any oneworld Hub.