FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2056814-loyalty-points-discussion-questions-2022-now-used-determining-elite-status.html)

Antarius Oct 26, 2021 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH (Post 33675494)
Is it? It looks like around $18k in spend compared to around $15k currently. Plus now CC spend will count, so it seems like it may actually be easier.

The math on getting an AA branded CC has never made sense for me in the past, but it might now. This is exactly the kind of thinking AA is hoping people will have.

Sounds like it. I carry the CSR, Amex Plat and hotel cards but never the AA card.

Stickboy46 Oct 26, 2021 8:30 am

As someone that uses my AA Card for everything but doesn't always get to fly a bunch .. I'm ok with it .. I also understand why others are going to hate this.

Beckles Oct 26, 2021 8:30 am

Originally Posted by olouie (Post 33675487)
Wow the increase for EXP requirement is kind of insane.

It's as if AAdvantage members who don't actually fly but earn lots of miles are more profitable than those that do fly the airline a bunch.

jackjennings Oct 26, 2021 8:30 am

Can't see this as anything but a negative change, as someone who earns only based on flying. Previously I had about $12,000 in organic spend and would usually spend an extra $3000 to guarantee EXP for the year. But now I'll drop down to Platinum with that spending? No thanks. Unfortunately, it seems next year will be my last flying AA.

olouie Oct 26, 2021 8:31 am

Is it? It looks like around $18k in spend compared to around $15k currently. Plus now CC spend will count, so it seems like it may actually be easier.

The math on getting an AA branded CC has never made sense for me in the past, but it might now. This is exactly the kind of thinking AA is hoping people will have.

That’s only if you are current EXP. For new member it’s $27000 EQD ish. So if you fall of the wagon it’s going to be rough if earning by flying. But yeah the CC spend counting helps but takes away from any illusion that this is a FFP. It’s just a cash gray program for spenders now.

ORDflyer92 Oct 26, 2021 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Stickboy46 (Post 33675506)
As someone that uses my AA Card for everything but doesn't always get to fly a bunch .. I'm ok with it .. I also understand why others are going to hate this.

That still won't get you very far as you can't get Platinum Pro or above without 30 segments under these new rules.

That said, I like it generally. Gives me a reason to use my $95 AA Citi card and scale back on churning.

olouie Oct 26, 2021 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 33675507)
It's as if AAdvantage members who don't actually fly but earn lots of miles are more profitable than those that do fly the airline a bunch.

AAvantage is the only thing keeping AA profitable and now they just make it clear that’s what they want.

bse118 Oct 26, 2021 8:33 am

Exactly. This is good. Move my CC spend over to an AA card, and I have to spend less on flying to earn EXP than I would under the current system.

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33675500)
Just curious on how you get the 18K conversion? (I'm being sincere).

200,000/11

----

I'm trying to figure out if benefits of each level have changed? Looks like an EXP at the 200,000 qualification point would only earn 3 SWUs under this system? Could be wrong.

golfer20 Oct 26, 2021 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 33675480)
Am I reading this correctly - there is no longer a bonus mileage / loyalty point bonus for paid first class?

No, unless the partner earning charts continue to be miles-based.

lowfareair Oct 26, 2021 8:33 am

I like it overall, with the sole exception that ancillary revenue does not count. To me, this seems like the perfect time to make EVERYTHING you buy on AA that isn't a passthrough tax/fee count. I know it technically benefits Gold/non-elite the most, but it would drive a lot of ancillary spend, at least for me.

On business trips, I technically get up to $100 reimbursed for extra legroom seats on 3+ hour flights, or I can wait until T-24 to get it free as a Gold. Normally, I'd just wait if I know there is a good chance of snagging a seat with an EF alert, but the several hundred points towards the next elite tier may convince me to pay for it.

When flying out of an airport, I may grab a snack/drink at a restaurant. If I know I'll get 7x points for onboard food/bev, I'd be more likely to buy it there instead.

Mr. BoH Oct 26, 2021 8:34 am

Originally Posted by MarkOK (Post 33675498)
yeah, for current ExecPlat members. Start from nothing and you would need a status match or challenge (or some decently hefty CC spend to swing) to even think about it.
(you'd need 25K or something in just flights alone, I haven't done the exact math yet)

Fair enough. I would expect most people getting EXP in a year don't start at nothing, but agree the road to top status from zero is very very long.

Stickboy46 Oct 26, 2021 8:35 am

Originally Posted by ORDflyer92 (Post 33675513)
That still won't get you very far as you can't get Platinum Pro or above without 30 segments under these new rules.

That said, I like it generally. Gives me a reason to use my $95 AA Citi card and scale back on churning.

If I read it right, you can get Platinum Pro or EXP with just the Loyalty points but you don't get the "bonus" things (SWU and such) without the 30 segment

Either way .. Platinum is within reach for me now whereas, it was only rarely the case in the past (when international business travel was a thing)

Beckles Oct 26, 2021 8:35 am

With the boatload of rollover miles I have on Delta, I'll probably move enough credit card spend to AA to earn Gold each year, especially in 2022 and 2023 when I can double dip January and February.

They say that partner earnings will count, but don't say it will be at the same 1 AAdvantage mile = 1 Loyalty point rate as credit cards.

Mr. BoH Oct 26, 2021 8:36 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33675500)
Just curious on how you get the 18K conversion? (I'm being sincere).

200000 / (5 + 5*1.2)

At least this is true for current EXPs. It's harder if you have lower status to start with.

enviroian Oct 26, 2021 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH (Post 33675530)
200000 / (5 + 5*1.2)

At least this is true for current EXPs. It's harder if you have lower status to start with.

Maybe in foresight that's why AA threw us $3K in EQD a few months ago....a buffer in lieu of what was coming around the proverbial corner.