Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:52 am
CG

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That's not how that works. If you aren't being paid Cartera isn't getting paid. The last thing that they want you to do is do something that will mess up the tracking.

This is why Rakuten has an app which has a browser built in (so the tracking always works). I'm not sure why they don't have something similar for Cartera (since they are owned by Rakuten)
This is exactly true. I've run an affiliate program based website and it was a constant battle to try to get paid by the vendors for customer's who thought they clicked through on my site but were somehow intercepted by a browser object or a cookie blocker or a another site open in another tab or any of a myriad of reasons the tracking wouldn't go through. At the end of the day, when you complain and the company credits you they're just eating the cost of providing you those miles (that they have to buy from the airline) because they'll never get the money from the vendor/affiliate tracking network after the first couple of courtesy credits. And even if they do, they have to expend so much employee time for each exception that that transaction becomes a loss. I shut my program down because this became untenable, it's not out of the realm of reason that current programs will shut down or curtail their operations for the same reason. They're caught in the middle of the whole thing and at the end of the day they're making very slim margins and having to pay out when they aren't getting paid or hire an army of employees to track down transactions isn't a sustainable business model. You have to be careful about killing the goose that lays the golden egg.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by nk15
All this incompetence and confusion with the LP partners and the hotels and shopping portals is breaking the booking and purchasing momentum and turning customers off...Why can't these losers get it together and process the transactions correctly and on time, how hard is it...geez...
It already has for me. It's simply not worth the hassle for me to fight tooth and nail for every LP and clicking through these portals is always a mess. I'm just going to fly and spend on my AA CC this year, and see where it lands me (probably Platinum, or PlatPro if international travel this summer/fall holds up, but I have my doubts). I'm falling out of love with this program and will probably try to chase BA or even move to UA or DL to avoid this nonsense (although UA's new program isn't great either).
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:30 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
It already has for me. It's simply not worth the hassle for me to fight tooth and nail for every LP and clicking through these portals is always a mess.).
One possibility (not gonna hold my breath, but it is a possibility) is that, with the likely substantial increase in interest in the portal (or maybe I'm fooling myself on the "substantial" part being here ) they will eventually fix things so that it is, at least somewhat, more reliable. I'm looking for this and staying on the sideline for the most part for now and getting on planes. That part seems to be working well for posting

Cheers.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
One possibility (not gonna hold my breath, but it is a possibility) is that, with the likely substantial increase in interest in the portal (or maybe I'm fooling myself on the "substantial" part being here ) they will eventually fix things so that it is, at least somewhat, more reliable. I'm looking for this and staying on the sideline for the most part for now and getting on planes. That part seems to be working well for posting

Cheers.
Most of the problems are caused on the client side (ie, on your end). If something doesn't track it's almost certainly because your browser is set up to block the cookies that do the tracking.

The easiest solution is to use a dedicated browser just for portal shopping, with no add-ons installed and settings at their default.

There are occasionally issues with tracking on the merchant side.

It's very unlikely that the shopping portal is doing anything wrong (because almost nothing is done on their end -- the tracking is all done client side and by the merchant) so that's really nothing for them to fix. The only real issue that they seem to have is that some miles that are the result of manual adjustment seem to be posting as bonus rather than base.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:29 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of the problems are caused on the client side (ie, on your end). If something doesn't track it's almost certainly because your browser is set up to block the cookies that do the tracking.

The easiest solution is to use a dedicated browser just for portal shopping, with no add-ons installed and settings at their default.

Would an Incognito window in an existing browser (even one that might have blocker/add-ons) work here?

For me, the one case that had issues actually did track from my end. They just lost it somewhere along the way and had to fix it. They acknowledged this. And it seems that other folks have had things that did track, but just didn't post. So there still seems more to it than an ad blocker. And I do expect these additional aspects to get straightened out going forward,,,more or less.

Cheers.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Would an Incognito window in an existing browser (even one that might have blocker/add-ons) work here?
It depends what the addons are. If you are using an ad blocker or anything designed to block tracking it will almost certainly cause problems. The way that these addons work is, if they identify something as a tracking cookie, they don't allow it to be written. When you make the purchase at the merchant, the cookie that says that you clicked through from the portal is not sent to them (because it was never written on your end)

For me, the one case that had issues actually did track from my end. They just lost it somewhere along the way and had to fix it. They acknowledged this. And it seems that other folks have had things that did track, but just didn't post. So there still seems more to it than an ad blocker. And I do expect these additional aspects to get straightened out going forward,,,more or less.
Is "they" Cartera or the merchant?

I've had issues with giftcards.com tracking incorrect amounts (though this was somehow fixed when I switched to a desktop browser ... I'm not sure if that was coincidence) but I've yet to actually have something not track. I've had no issues at all with Cartera.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 2:41 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It depends what the addons are. If you are using an ad blocker or anything designed to block tracking it will almost certainly cause problems. The way that these addons work is, if they identify something as a tracking cookie, they don't allow it to be written. When you make the purchase at the merchant, the cookie that says that you clicked through from the portal is not sent to them (because it was never written on your end)
Yeah, these specifically block tracking, by design. So that was a stupid suggestion on my part. D'oh!

Is "they" Cartera or the merchant?
Good point. I don't know who I mean by "they" here. All I know is that (again, just one case for my part), AA folks knew that I had purchased through the portal and "it" (non-specific) didn't work. So "they" (AAA this time) got it fixed.

I just see lots of people with problems and don't know the details. My main point was that, with all the people now using this, the importance of LPs and they number of issues, "they" (whichever "they" or "theys" (?) are responsible for the issue) will improve this because they have to. And I'll wait for that since I have 11.5 months to requalify.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Mar 18, 2022 at 8:43 am
Old Mar 17, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
God, this really is no longer a frequent flier program. I earned more "points" from Uber eats and uber rides than from a paid trip to California. Sigh....
Old Mar 17, 2022, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
God, this really is no longer a frequent flier program. I earned more "points" from Uber eats and uber rides than from a paid trip to California. Sigh....
How are you earning LP from uber?

And I'm pretty sure that they don't refer to it as a frequent flyer program. It's a loyalty program.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
How are you earning LP from uber?
Ummm. Ride in Uber. Pay with credit card. LPs show up from purchase.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Ummm. Ride in Uber. Pay with credit card. LPs show up from purchase.
Oh you mean just the normal 1 mile per dollar on CC spend.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
All this incompetence and confusion with the LP partners and the hotels and shopping portals is breaking the booking and purchasing momentum and turning customers off...Why can't these losers get it together and process the transactions correctly and on time, how hard is it...geez...
I'm not aware of any general consensus that the changes are doing that. What or where are you reading that? I mean a couple of posters such as yourself have complained, but we are such a niche, I am hesitant to jump to any big conclusion that this is anything negative for AA 17 days into the change. Maybe I'm unaware of some groundswell of bad PR that you know about though.
brp and bse118 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
I'm not aware of any general consensus that the changes are doing that. What or where are you reading that? I mean a couple of posters such as yourself have complained, but we are such a niche, I am hesitant to jump to any big conclusion that this is anything negative for AA 17 days into the change. Maybe I'm unaware of some groundswell of bad PR that you know about though.
I have hotel and shopping portal purchases that are not posting for over 10 days now... and so have many others, as reported on various threads....I would be booking and purchasing more if these were resolved....There are multiple reports of errors, delays, and cancellations of transactions...as reported on 3-4 different threads...
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I bought 7 GC's on Feb. 28. I've been in back-and-forth with both BHN and AAdvantage about the credit; they don't show up yet. Bought one more the other night and disabled my ad blocker and it already shows as pending. AAdvantage admits they can see I clikced through to giftcards.com from their portal. And I still haven't gotten an answer on what "per month" means.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redtop43
I bought 7 GC's on Feb. 28. I've been in back-and-forth with both BHN and AAdvantage about the credit; they don't show up yet. Bought one more the other night and disabled my ad blocker and it already shows as pending. AAdvantage admits they can see I clikced through to giftcards.com from their portal. And I still haven't gotten an answer on what "per month" means.
Clearly the problem here is your ad blocker. They can see that you clicked through from their site because that click tracked server-side (Cartera's server). But the merchant does not know that. A cookie is written to your storage, and sent back to the merchant when you buy something. If your ad blocker blocks that cookie from being written, they have no way to know you came from the portal.

I understand that this is not simple if you don't have experience working on these types of systems, but it's a very common problem. There is really nothing that the portal can do about it if you have software in place to block their tracking (even if that wasn't your intent)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.