Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2022, 9:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nk15
Do we have a clear confirmation in writing from AA (rather than speculation) that LPs determine upgrade priority only WITHIN each elite level, rather than across elite levels?
yes. LP are the priority determining factor, just as EQM spend was before, within status tiers.
_kurt and nk15 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I flew two segments in February and they're now showing.
Under the detailed activity section where LPs have been posting, there is an entry for: CHOICE REWARDS SEGMENT DEPOSIT
No Loyalty Points, but two miles and this corresponds to the two segments now showing in the Promotions section.
Funnily, I also received two miles

I wonder if this is another "sweep" to pick up all the activity prior to 3/1/2022
I also received 1 mile per each segment I had in January and February lol, and see the choice rewards in my promo section now. Funny they apparently had to do it that way (presumably for IT reasons).

Also, last night/this morning I received miles from an FTD purchase I made ~3 weeks ago. They still posted as bonus miles and I have not received LP for them. I did purchase using the 30x miles promo, and got the correct amount of miles. So who knows what’s going on with FTD but they’re still not posting as LP.
logicalrealist likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 9:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For people who are not seeing the new format abd data in their phone apps, log out and back in. The LPs earned since 1/1 are now reflected, etc.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by dorisrpas
Okay, I did that and now I have new CC banner across the page! LOL Expire dates for status and miles also appeared, but still nothing about segments (of which I should have 19 for Jan-Feb). I guess I'll wait!
Now posted as new promo
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I flew two segments in February and they're now showing. Under the detailed activity section where LPs have been posting, there is an entry for: CHOICE REWARDS SEGMENT DEPOSIT
Thank you! I saw that this morning and was struggling to understand what it was.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:31 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 777lover
Refresh ur app. Jan-Feb segments are flowing in as I type this. And jan/Feb segments do count. Mine has updated perfectly.
We had 4 segments in February. Tracker is showing 4.

Cheers.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
We had 4 segments in February. Tracker is showing 4.

Cheers.
And an extra free mile per segment!
Old Mar 5, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by coleslaw
And an extra free mile per segment!
Same here! So generous of AA to give us 4 additional award miles for 4x segments in a double dip period /s
Mar 4, 2022

ACTIVITY

Award Miles
Base miles
Bonus miles
0Loyalty Points
Old Mar 5, 2022, 2:53 pm

Whomever said refresh, that did the trick. I now have all 12 segments showing.

I still only have 14,342 loyalty points, which seems awfully low for an EXP that's been to CDG/LHR, SXM, and done a shorter domestic trip, but maybe those tickets were even less expensive than I remember.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fls114
Whomever said refresh, that did the trick. I now have all 12 segments showing.

I still only have 14,342 loyalty points, which seems awfully low for an EXP that's been to CDG/LHR, SXM, and done a shorter domestic trip, but maybe those tickets were even less expensive than I remember.
Taxes to/from CDG and LHR are pretty substantial (carrier imposed fees aside).
Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Are partner award segments supposed to count as qualifying segments? If so that's a very pleasant surprise (less AA segments I'll need to endure this year to qualify for Choice Rewards).

Just received a deposit of 7 segments, yet I've only flown 3 segments on AA so far in 2022. I did fly 4 JL (domestic Japan) award segments booked from my AA account. That's the only explanation I can think of as to why I received 7 segments.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Are partner award segments supposed to count as qualifying segments? If so that's a very pleasant surprise (less AA segments I'll need to endure this year to qualify for Choice Rewards).

Just received a deposit of 7 segments, yet I've only flown 3 segments on AA so far in 2022. I did fly 4 JL (domestic Japan) award segments booked from my AA account. That's the only explanation I can think of as to why I received 7 segments.

-FlyerBeek
Seems like it. I got credit for 2 AS flights from early Feb.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Does the 30 minimum qualifying segments have to be on AA-metal or AA-marketed? Or can be any OW airline? (so in theory 30 on OW and 0 on AA would work?)
Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Does the 30 minimum qualifying segments have to be on AA-metal or AA-marketed? Or can be any OW airline? (so in theory 30 on OW and 0 on AA would work?)
Who knows at this point? It appears partner award segments are counting. Pretty sure that wasn't the original intent.

-FlyerBeek
Bonaventure likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
The 2 segments I mentioned a couple of posts ago on AS (both bought from AS's website and not marked as codes shares that I noticed) counted towards my 30 segment as my progress bar is now complete (I went back and counted and had 28 AA segments this year so far). Just need to keep earning LPs.

Bonaventure likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.