Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:56 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
Did not realize it until now - LP is earned only at airport locations. I have about 8 rentals that I did not receive LP for , each between $500-1000. Really annoying to find out this way.
I also did not realize this. Most of my rentals are airport and all have posted properly since the LP ear started (actually, they posted at 1250 miles/LP instead of the per-dollar that is supposed to happen now, but this has been in my favor so far). I do have a few upcoming that are non0airport, though. But I do see that it is documented as such.

Cheers.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Same. Despite the text being listed in the reservation, the way it is displayed makes it easy to miss and is a bit misleading (there is a caution symbol stating that I have opted to earn AA miles instead of Avis rewards in bold lettering next to the checkout, without indicating here that this applies to airport locations only). Can't imagine most people see the disclaimer about airport locations, especially if youve made multiple reservations in the past.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 12:03 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Oh, I agree. I saw the disclaimer on the AA site, not a reservation. Which is not where most folks would really expect to look.

Cheers.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged;[url=tel:34690424
34690424[/url]]Did not realize it until now - LP is earned only at airport locations. I have about 8 rentals that I did not receive LP for , each between $500-1000. Really annoying to find out this way.
Doesn't apply to ATH. Was told they are a franchise. More AA crap they don't post as exclusions.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I am (losing).
1. 5x miles to start with until I can work my way up to 11x. Don't have that problem with DL.
2. 3-4 hours of extra travel time and inconvenience transiting through ORD versus a nonstop from MSP.

Also I am currently at $55K MQDs, 160K MQM (with about 40k rolled over from last year) and just 27 segments. Heck I dont even meet 30 segments yet on DL and would be pretty screwed if that was a requirement on DL. There is no way I will ever hit 30 segments on AA.

If AA wants to reward spenders, then it needs to do away with the 30 segment minimum.
Assuming you do one RT per month, and you now have to connect instead of doing nonstops, you have the opportunity to earn 16 segments between November and February. If the system-wide upgrades are an important consideration for you, you would definitely need to find 14 more segments to do before the end of February, which could perhaps be done on the cheap with AA or B6, assuming you have no other travel that would give you those segments organically (award travel on AA also counts towards your segments).

You also don't have to necessarily go through ORD or CLT. You could also go via PHL or DCA and fly BA across the pond, or you could use B6 to connect to AA or BA at BOS or JFK.

There's no denying that there's an opportunity cost here -- the extra time you will spend traveling and the loss of mileage earning for the first few trips until you grow your status. The question really is whether you think it's worth it for you. We can't really answer that question -- only you can.

Last edited by sxpsxpsxp; Oct 18, 2022 at 1:30 pm Reason: Added other connection options.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 1:38 pm

I am (losing).
1. 5x miles to start with until I can work my way up to 11x. Don't have that problem with DL.
2. 3-4 hours of extra travel time and inconvenience transiting through ORD versus a nonstop from MSP.

Also I am currently at $55K MQDs, 160K MQM (with about 40k rolled over from last year) and just 27 segments. Heck I dont even meet 30 segments yet on DL and would be pretty screwed if that was a requirement on DL. There is no way I will ever hit 30 segments on AA.

If AA wants to reward spenders, then it needs to do away with the 30 segment minimum.
AA DOES reward SPENDERS...giving big spenders EXP.
AA rewards frequent FLYERS (those who spend) by giving them EXP...PLUS elite choice rewards if you fly 30 segments.

you want AA's loyalty program to be more like DL or UA, but that's not happening; it looks like AA is doubling down with their program from the looks of the revamped "elite challenge "rollout yesterday.
Also, you make great sense on the logic of staying loyal to DL, being MSP-based and nonstops everywhere. Why would you even want status with AA since it's so much less convenient to fly them, as you pointed out? You'd never use AA or the elite choice rewards for 30 segments of flying, especially since you don't fly all that much...even on DL if you're not flying 30 segments there, either...
if you do decide to get status on AA without 30 segs, you'd at least get upgrades and so forth, but sounds like you qualify for DL based on just a limited amount of nonstop flights that happen to be high cost and long distance
Old Oct 18, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
Assuming you do one RT per month, and you now have to connect instead of doing nonstops, you have the opportunity to earn 16 segments between November and February. If the system-wide upgrades are an important consideration for you, you would definitely need to find 14 more segments to do before the end of February, which could perhaps be done on the cheap with AA or B6, assuming you have no other travel that would give you those segments organically (award travel on AA also counts towards your segments).

You also don't have to necessarily go through ORD or CLT. You could also go via PHL or DCA and fly BA across the pond, or you could use B6 to connect to AA or BA at BOS or JFK.

There's no denying that there's an opportunity cost here -- the extra time you will spend traveling and the loss of mileage earning for the first few trips until you grow your status. The question really is whether you think it's worth it for you. We can't really answer that question -- only you can.
Thanks for the response. .

Its also not just the first few trips till I get to EXP, its also the fact that that AA caps mileage earning to 75K per ticket. Each of my last few trips on DL are crediting at ~100K miles since there is no cap on earnings. Couple that with the 30 segment minimum and I just don't see a way to make this work with AA. I am definitely not looking to increase my segment count by taking needless flights.
sxpsxpsxp likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
AA DOES reward SPENDERS...giving big spenders EXP.
AA rewards frequent FLYERS (those who spend) by giving them EXP...PLUS elite choice rewards if you fly 30 segments.

you want AA's loyalty program to be more like DL or UA, but that's not happening; it looks like AA is doubling down with their program from the looks of the revamped "elite challenge "rollout yesterday.
Also, you make great sense on the logic of staying loyal to DL, being MSP-based and nonstops everywhere. Why would you even want status with AA since it's so much less convenient to fly them, as you pointed out? You'd never use AA or the elite choice rewards for 30 segments of flying, especially since you don't fly all that much...even on DL if you're not flying 30 segments there, either...
if you do decide to get status on AA without 30 segs, you'd at least get upgrades and so forth, but sounds like you qualify for DL based on just a limited amount of nonstop flights that happen to be high cost and long distance
Yeah I just don't understand the need to stick the 30 segment minimum in there. If miles flown in lieu of segments was an option, I'd seriously consider it.

Unfortunately DL caps the number of GUCs one can earn at 4 per year. And for the one nice leisure trip with the family I need more than 4 or atleast the ability to earn more with more flying none of which is possible on DL, which is why I am checking out other programs to see if its worth it.

Last edited by crazyhorse; Oct 18, 2022 at 3:23 pm
Old Oct 18, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Yeah I just don't understand the need to stick the 30 segment minimum in there. If miles flown inn lieu of segments was an option, I'd seriously consider it.

Unfortunately DL caps the number of GUCs one can earn at 4 per year. And for the one nice leisure trip with the family I need more than 4 or atleast the ability to earn more with more flying none of which is possible on DL, which is why I am checking out other programs to see if its worth it.
I fully agree that the segment minimum seems very out of place with the rest of the program. If they really want to limit it to flyers rather than "frequent spenders", adding a minimum number of LP earned from flights would seem to better match AA's goals than a segment minimum.

My hope is that this is something they'll refine next year.
crazyhorse and LeastP like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Acidity
I fully agree that the segment minimum seems very out of place with the rest of the program. If they really want to limit it to flyers rather than "frequent spenders", adding a minimum number of LP earned from flights would seem to better match AA's goals than a segment minimum.

My hope is that this is something they'll refine next year.
That can be gamed even easier, too, with a couple of partner flights, or one expensive AA flight. The 30-segment requirement forces you to fly the airline more regularly, or more than you originally intended.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
That can be gamed even easier, too, with a couple of partner flights, or one expensive AA flight. The 30-segment requirement forces you to fly the airline more regularly, or more than you originally intended.
I'm not sure AA really considers flying an $18,000 flight "gaming" the system, and if they do, they probably shouldn't. That's exactly the kind of behavior they should want to encourage, rather than someone flying a back and forth between DFW and OKC for $40 a segment just to hit some silly segment minimum.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure AA really considers flying an $18,000 flight "gaming" the system, and if they do, they probably shouldn't. That's exactly the kind of behavior they should want to encourage, rather than someone flying a back and forth between DFW and OKC for $40 a segment just to hit some silly segment minimum.
They are not going to give you all the top elite benefits, because you bought 1-2 expensive fares on AA. They want to force you to bring a substantive chunk of your flying to AA. So, if you put 90% of your flying on DL DM, you can't come into AA get all the top tier benefits with only two expensive flights. They want a bigger chunk of your flying on AA and have to pressure/motivate you towards this.

If anything, if you typically buy expensive fares, they definitely want more flights from you, because they know you buy more of those but on some other airline.
LovePrunes and Antarius like this.

Last edited by nk15; Oct 18, 2022 at 10:32 pm
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:46 pm

Theyy seem pretty clear that the exact kind of behavior they're encouraging with LPs has NOTHING to do with you being on an airplane and EVERYTHING to do with how and where you buy non-AA purchases.

if you want a few big expensive airline tickets to get you all the perks, you want Delta or United. Doesn't look like AA is going back down that path again anytime soon.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Theyy seem pretty clear that the exact kind of behavior they're encouraging with LPs has NOTHING to do with you being on an airplane and EVERYTHING to do with how and where you buy non-AA purchases.

if you want a few big expensive airline tickets to get you all the perks, you want Delta or United. Doesn't look like AA is going back down that path again anytime soon.
Which makes the 30 segments on a plane to get the Loyalty Choice rewards confusing (which is my point). I don't particularly care about them (none of them seem all that useful to me, since the last thing I want to do is spend more time on a plane), I'm just trying to reconcile the Loyalty Points half of the scheme, which as you've noted seems to suggest that they want to encourage not flying, with the segment minimums part of the scheme, which encourages flying.

Edit (to clarify a bit more): It almost feels like they had this grand idea to make a frequent flyer scheme that didn't require flying at all, but instead just rewarded profitability to AA, but then they got scared halfway through and tacked on the segment minimum for the Loyalty Choice rewards. It just feels awkward and inconsistent with the rest of the scheme to me (maybe others disagree).
worldiswide likes this.

Last edited by Acidity; Oct 18, 2022 at 11:05 pm
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is both, LPs are about the general spending, and segments are about moving more of your flying with them. They want both.

Last edited by nk15; Oct 18, 2022 at 11:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.