Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by enviroian
I don't see any incentive to fly AA after reaching 200K LP's.
Of course I'm still flying and at 250K LP's
​​​​​​​Nothing was mis-read. Mis-stated, perhaps, but not mis-read.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by HGH
At the risk of being told by others that I made the wrong decisions, I actually like the current situation. I fit the model of an occasional flyer that likes the free checked bag and slightly earlier boarding the card gets me. There is a shuttle flight out of CLT that I often have to take with limited notice, and I can usually find an award around 2.7 cents per mile. Redeeming awards is an easy system to use. I can change the return if need be with no issues. It fits my needs perfectly.

I'll make gold this year, which is a fluke that won't be repeated, and I really doubt I'll enjoy any of the benefits enough to make that a goal next year, but who knows.

At my age and stage, I place high value on the hassle factor, sometimes even higher than monetary concerns. I feel this program helps with that with no effort on my part.
We are the occasional flyers that buy J internationally, F on longer domestic flights, and appreciate being able to sit in MCE on shorter domestic flights, with the occasional upgrade to F. I have found the service during IRROPS to be much better now that I am Plat Pro (we were quickly re-booked in J straight through in a slightly tricky (involving an international connection) international flight). As a Plat, it was much more difficult to maintain class of service during IRROPS, even on domestic flights.

We have to put our spend somewhere. When we lived in NYC, most of our spend went on the Delta co-branded card. Now that we are in Scottsdale, it makes sense to use the AA co-branded card. It gives us access to the Admiral's Club, which is much more pleasant than the terminal (even if food options can be somewhat limited, depending on the location of the Club and the time of day).

For us, the Loyalty Points system is giving us what we need.
chica likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
No way. That "race to the top" is one of the driving factors at the top end of LP earners. Besides, there's EXP (with 30 segments) and EXP-lite (without 30 segments), so if anything the segment count just goes up.
I'm totally fine with that and would actually prefer a segment requirement for both PP and EXP, not just for loyalty rewards. How about 30 AA segments for PP and 50 or 60 segments for EXP? I mean, shouldn't be a problem at all if you're actually an AA FF.

Last edited by nineworldseries; Oct 28, 2022 at 6:01 am
Old Oct 28, 2022, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I'm totally fine with that and would actually prefer a segment requirement for both PP and EXP, not just for loyalty rewards. How about 30 AA segments for PP and 50 or 60 segments for EXP? I mean, shouldn't be a problem at all if you're actually an AA FF.
There are many of us who used to get EXP on the basis of maybe 3-4 ULH RTs (6-8 segments) in premium cabins (e.g., 32K EQMs for a RT to HKG).
wrp96, worldiswide, jcain and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
50-60 segments for EXP likely runs counter to their reasoning for doing the LP system - i.e. incentivizing non-flying engagement with AAdvantage. I know I wouldn't bother trying to get status on AA if it required that many segments and would definitely spend less on my AA credit card. I don't think I've ever done more than 35 or so segments in a year. Like vasantn I first got EXP from a handful of long-haul trips and primarily value it for SWUs and OWE.
chrisny2 and controller1 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Is there any difference in the upgrade priority list if there is one exp at 200K LP and another exp at 250K LP?
Old Oct 28, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Is there any difference in the upgrade priority list if there is one exp at 200K LP and another exp at 250K LP?
Yes, rolling LPs earned in the past year are the second tie breaker for the upgrade list (after status level and then upgrade type (instrument supported vs comp)), so the 250K LP EXP would be higher on the list, assuming they're both going for a comp upgrade (if the 200K uses miles+copay to upgrade, they'd leapfrog the 250K)
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Loyalty Points seem low?

Usually I get about 500 base miles for SEA-PDX. THIs one came in quite low? does that seem right to you folks
Old Oct 29, 2022, 2:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Usually I get about 500 base miles for SEA-PDX. THIs one came in quite low? does that seem right to you folks
Fare Code "O" on Alaska Airlines only yields 25% Base Miles. That's why you are being credited with such a low amount of mileage.
tfizzle likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by controller1
Fare Code "O" on Alaska Airlines only yields 25% Base Miles. That's why you are being credited with such a low amount of mileage.
Only 2,817 flights to retain Executive Platinum..

James
controller1, wrp96, nk15 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat

Looking at booking through Rocketmiles accessed through AA.com. Is the red 5000 base miles circled what I need to see to be sure I’ll get LPs? And so if the room is $349, 3 nights, then I earn 1147+5000 RDMs and LPs? If not then what?

Also says they post 1-2 weeks after checkout. It is a prepaid reservation so is it checkout when book and pay or checkout finishing the stay?

Additionally the second pic is from AA hotels, so the circled one earns no RDM or LPs then at all?
Old Oct 29, 2022, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Jonesdds

Additionally the second pic is from AA hotels, so the circled one earns no RDM or LPs then at all?
Correct.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 5:12 pm

Is CIti Executive World promotion for 4X AA Purchases Base or Bonus Miles?

CIti World Exec card currently has a 4X miles earn when buying AA tickets. On my last statement, I seemed to get extra miles for my AA purchases but not Loyalty Points.

I don't see anything to indicate that these are bonus miles for which you don't get loyalty points. Does anyone have insight?

"For a limited time, earn a total of 4 AAdvantage® Miles per $1 on eligible American Airlines Purchases

Earn a total of 4 AAdvantage® miles for each $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases from 09/28/2022 through 12/31/2022. To qualify for this offer, your account must be open and current. If you convert to another card product, you will not be eligible for this offer. Your eligible purchases must be posted to your account by 12/31/2022 to be eligible for this offer. After 12/31/2022, you will earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for each $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchase.

Eligible American Airlines purchases are items billed by American Airlines as merchant of record booked through American Airlines channels (aa.com, American Airlines reservations, American Airlines Admirals Club®, American Airlines Vacations℠, and American Airlines airport and city ticket counters). Products or services that do not qualify are car rentals and hotel reservations, purchase of AAdvantage® status boost or renewal, and AA Cargo™ products and services. Miles earned will be posted to the primary credit cardmember’s AAdvantage® account in 8-10 weeks."
Old Oct 30, 2022, 5:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Is CIti Executive World promotion for 4X AA Purchases Base or Bonus Miles?
This promotion is for miles, not Loyalty Points.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
This promotion is for miles, not Loyalty Points.
How do you know that? My understanding is that you get one LP for each mile earned. This includes flying and shopping and whatever else. The exception is that you don't get LPs for "bonus" miles. Nowhere in the 4X offer does it indicate that the extra miles are bonus miles. That should be made more clear if that's true.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.