Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
It has been confirmed by AA that they will be moving all flights back to LHR T3 as of 12 July 2022:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/destinationInformation/lhr-airport.jsp

We 're moving all operations to Terminal 3 on July 12, 2022.

Until then, if you're flying to New York (JFK), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) you’ll check-in and depart from Terminal 5.

Remember to check your flight status before you go to the airport and arrive at least 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
Print Wikipost

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by simon562
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. Have an upcoming MIA-LHR on AA (first) and then LHR to VCE on BA (coach) coming up next week. Two separate tickets, unfortunately. While I plan to ask the agent at MIA to through check the baggage I realize that is highly unlikely. I'm traveling with wife and child. I have One World Emerald status. From what I've read once I get through immigration, collect the bags and check in with BA, I can use the Security fast track with Emerald status. But only for me and one other passenger. I was thinking of having my wife stay airside and bringing my son with me. Basically, the only reason to do this is if Fast Track will help me get through Security quicker. Seems like it would be the thing to do until I saw some of the T5 to T5 connection issue above.

I'm stressed about the whole connection issue which I was unaware of when I booked the tickets. I do have 4 hours connection time. But, keep reading about all the issues getting through Immigration. Any other ideas would be appreciated!

edit: After doing more reading in this thread I now see that I should be able to check in through First Wing. So it seems like I should go with my Son through First Wing and have my wife stay air side?
AA will not check bags through on separate tickets. If you can check all bags under your name, then you could go landside and grab the bags and check in again with BA while your wife and son stayed airside. But if you need another pax in order to not have to pay for any bags then yes your son could go with you while your wife stayed airside.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. Have an upcoming MIA-LHR on AA (first) and then LHR to VCE on BA (coach) coming up next week. Two separate tickets, unfortunately. While I plan to ask the agent at MIA to through check the baggage I realize that is highly unlikely. I'm traveling with wife and child. I have One World Emerald status. From what I've read once I get through immigration, collect the bags and check in with BA, I can use the Security fast track with Emerald status. But only for me and one other passenger. I was thinking of having my wife stay airside and bringing my son with me. Basically, the only reason to do this is if Fast Track will help me get through Security quicker. Seems like it would be the thing to do until I saw some of the T5 to T5 connection issue above.

I'm stressed about the whole connection issue which I was unaware of when I booked the tickets. I do have 4 hours connection time. But, keep reading about all the issues getting through Immigration. Any other ideas would be appreciated!

edit: After doing more reading in this thread I now see that I should be able to check in through First Wing. So it seems like I should go with my Son through First Wing and have my wife stay air side?
Would they really not allow a family of 3 to go through first wing together? Sounds as though not necessary but can't imagine they'd make one of the 3 go through regular security...just did this 3 weeks ago, forgot how easy it actually is given the use of First Wing.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
Would they really not allow a family of 3 to go through first wing together? Sounds as though not necessary but can't imagine they'd make one of the 3 go through regular security...just did this 3 weeks ago, forgot how easy it actually is given the use of First Wing.
No because the First Wing is an entry into the F lounge where you are only entitled to one guest (but children aged <2 don’t count as guests)
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
No because the First Wing is an entry into the F lounge where you are only entitled to one guest (but children aged <2 don’t count as guests)
exactly. If all three went, they will be allowed to check in at the F counters but would then need to leave it to go through regular south security which arrives in the main airside area instead of in the F lounge.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:30 am

Thanks all. I think the plan is to leave the wife airside and come out with my son to go back through First Wing check in.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:17 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AA will not check bags through on separate tickets. If you can check all bags under your name, then you could go landside and grab the bags and check in again with BA while your wife and son stayed airside. But if you need another pax in order to not have to pay for any bags then yes your son could go with you while your wife stayed airside.
They have for me on separate miles and cash tickets IAH LHR CTA twice in the last few months. YMMV of course.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
They have for me on separate miles and cash tickets IAH LHR CTA twice in the last few months. YMMV of course.
AA doesn't fly IAH-LHR...
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:44 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
AA doesn't fly IAH-LHR...
I flew VIA DFW that is why I burned points but bought CTA direct on BA. My point was I got bags through all the way twice. Which to be fair UA has done for me also.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:08 pm

I flew VIA DFW that is why I burned points but bought CTA direct on BA. My point was I got bags through all the way twice. Which to be fair UA has done for me also.
I'm going to give it a try at MIA. Was there any pushback at all, or anything that might help me get them to say yes? I keep reading the success rate is close to zero.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:44 pm

I'm going to give it a try at MIA. Was there any pushback at all, or anything that might help me get them to say yes? I keep reading the success rate is close to zero.
Maybe it was because I was in business and on paid business on the next flight with one checked bag?

I am flying AA in first in a week and half via MIA, as I burned more miles to try AA's true "first". I am starting in NAP on BA, again with a separate paid biz ticket so I will try it in reverse on the partners (and from MIA to IAH separate but I have to get bags and recheck from CBP anyway).

What is AA's supposed aversion to the practice?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe it was because I was in business and on paid business on the next flight with one checked bag?

I am flying AA in first in a week and half via MIA, as I burned more miles to try AA's true "first". I am starting in NAP on BA, again with a separate paid biz ticket so I will try it in reverse on the partners (and from MIA to IAH separate but I have to get bags and recheck from CBP anyway).

What is AA's supposed aversion to the practice?
If you got an AA agent at IAH to do it then just consider yourself really lucky. There's no rhyme or reason why, class of service shouldn't have anything to do with it.

People ask on here all the time about checking bags through and I always cringe at the "but I was able to do it one time" responses as while technically true they just give folks false hope.

This is a well established policy that has been in place almost 6 years now, and unlike a lot of things with AA it's actually clearly spelled out at aa.com.
wrp96 and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:07 pm

If you got an AA agent at IAH to do it then just consider yourself really lucky. There's no rhyme or reason why, class of service shouldn't have anything to do with it.

People ask on here all the time about checking bags through and I always cringe at the "but I was able to do it one time" responses as while technically true they just give folks false hope.

This is a well established policy that has been in place almost 6 years now, and unlike a lot of things with AA it's actually clearly spelled out at aa.com.
I believe you and I do not read the AA page as often as UA or others even as an ExecPlat since my PHL travel normal quals me regardless. Just sharing my experience, but your warning and point is well meaning and well taken. And to be fair I always go into such situations, even as a GS at UA for example, presuming the answer will be no and happy when I get things checked through as needed on any airline or within an alliance.

What I don't get, and mere curiosity, is why they seem so averse to it? Are they concerned about IRROPS or just extra work by staff?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I believe you and I do not read the AA page as often as UA or others even as an ExecPlat since my PHL travel normal quals me regardless. Just sharing my experience, but your warning and point is well meaning and well taken. And to be fair I always go into such situations, even as a GS at UA for example, presuming the answer will be no and happy when I get things checked through as needed on any airline or within an alliance.

What I don't get, and mere curiosity, is why they seem so averse to it? Are they concerned about IRROPS or just extra work by staff?
Buying separate tickets for the same trip with a connection is often cheaper, thus discouraging this practice.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Buying separate tickets for the same trip with a connection is often cheaper, thus discouraging this practice.
I booked this trip several months ago as a multi-city MIA-VCE and returning ZUR-MIA as an award ticket. The VCE part of it was causing the award cost to almost double. Therefore, I changed the outbound to LHR and booked a separate paid ticket form LHR to VCE. I was not aware of the issues I would encounter with two separate tickets. I am now happy that I have a 4 hour layover in LHR and fully expect to have to claim my luggage and recheck. Plan is still to go through First Wing with my son (one companion) and have my wife stay airside with no bags checked in her name.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:44 pm

AA moving back all flights to T3 from 1 July 2022, as well they will be handling also Iberia at T3 from 1 July 2022.....no more CC room for first class.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.