Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: aztimm
Wiki Link
It has been confirmed by AA that they will be moving all flights back to LHR T3 as of 12 July 2022:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...hr-airport.jsp

We 're moving all operations to Terminal 3 on July 12, 2022.

Until then, if you're flying to New York (JFK), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) you’ll check-in and depart from Terminal 5.

Remember to check your flight status before you go to the airport and arrive at least 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 7, 21, 12:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

UPDATE: American Airlines will consolidate all AA LHR operations Terminal 3 effective July 1, 2022.

American Airlines has just split operations at London Heathrow as air traffic has increased.

New York JFK flights continue departing (BA) Terminal 5.

Other AA flights depart the recently reopened Terminal 3. ONLY the BA lounge is open (closed lounges include AA Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge, CX, QF, see following post) are open at Terminal 3. This may change as traffic increases.

https://milesfromblighty.boardingare...s-at-heathrow/
Abidjan likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 21, 22 at 9:54 pm
Old Aug 7, 21, 1:50 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
American Airlines has just split operations at London Heathrow as air traffic has increased.

New York JFK flights continue departing (BA) Terminal 5.

Other AA flights depart the recently reopened Terminal 3. No lounges (Including AA Admirals Club and Flagship Loubge) are curre toy open at Terminal 3. This may change.

https://milesfromblighty.boardingare...s-at-heathrow/
The BA lounge was reopened at T3, so no reason fret . No indication when the other (AA, CX, QF) lounges will come back online. Given the low volumes to pax allowed to both Hong Kong and Australia, their lounges will not probably open for awhile.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Aug 7, 21, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Feel like QF/CX could pick up some nice revenue on an asset if they opened their doors to OW carriers, definitely multiple steps above the BA or AA lounges in T3. Also, unfortunate for the LAX route to have First but no accommodations on the LHR side (or LAX at this point either).
Old Aug 7, 21, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Really don't understand this decision at all to be honest.
TPJ likes this.
Old Aug 7, 21, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Really don't understand this decision at all to be honest.
Just curious, what part of the decision (and remember it wasn't all in AA control)?
Old Aug 7, 21, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
My guess is they plan on offering SDC between AA and BA flights on LHR-JFK.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 7, 21, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
Just curious, what part of the decision (and remember it wasn't all in AA control)?
Having the split op in general. Seems like it would make much more sense to just send everything back to T3.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Aug 7, 21, 6:14 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP
Originally Posted by dls25 View Post
My guess is they plan on offering SDC between AA and BA flights on LHR-JFK.
Even if they don't, it also makes IROPS rebooking much easier.

It also may allow them to make a more compelling case to HAL about the permanent move to T5 that they want. Even post-COVID, I'm not sure where the space would come from unless more BA flights move to T3.
Old Aug 8, 21, 5:03 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
We just experienced T3 at LHR yesterday coming back ATH-LHR-LAX. We were in F, and I can confirm the BA lounge is open (just the Club side, not the First side). Food choices are meager — pre-packaged sandwiches, chips (crisps), muffins. Definitely not comparable to the food in BA First lounge in T5 we had on the way out.

The good news is that the transfer Security at T3 was much easier and faster than T5. The bad news was the AA document check took a while, even with not that many people in line.
Old Aug 8, 21, 5:56 am

Programs: AA - Plat. Pro; 1W Emerald; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
We just experienced T3 at LHR yesterday coming back ATH-LHR-LAX. We were in F, and I can confirm the BA lounge is open (just the Club side, not the First side). Food choices are meager — pre-packaged sandwiches, chips (crisps), muffins. Definitely not comparable to the food in BA First lounge in T5 we had on the way out.

The good news is that the transfer Security at T3 was much easier and faster than T5. The bad news was the AA document check took a while, even with not that many people in line.
Oh, document check to anywhere in the USA takes a while. My LHR-IAD flight had boarding start 60 minutes prior to departure and even with a 50% full flight, we were 20 minutes late owing to document checks.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 21, 8:25 am

Having the split op in general. Seems like it would make much more sense to just send everything back to T3.
Gave it some (minimal) thought.

Perhaps JFK/LHR traffic is mostly O/D and premium heavy vs. other US ports. AA asked HAL to keep those flights at T5 for some sort of excuse (IROPS handling with BA etc.), but in the back of their mind they were thinking that the First Wing experience is something AA Premium flyers (F, EXP and PPro) would appreciate vs. walking through the Duty Free zoo at T3. Of course I have no factual basis for this line of speculation.. .
Old Aug 8, 21, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps JFK/LHR traffic is mostly O/D and premium heavy vs. other US ports. AA asked HAL to keep those flights at T5 for some sort of excuse (IROPS handling with BA etc.), but in the back of their mind they were thinking that the First Wing experience is something AA Premium flyers (F, EXP and PPro) would appreciate vs. walking through the Duty Free zoo at T3. Of course I have no factual basis for this line of speculation.. .
I would assume you're right about JFK/LHR being mostly O/D and given that I would actually think it would make more sense to have those flights in T3 and the rest in T5 where connections to BA would be much easier.
Gerbs and wetrat0 like this.
Old Aug 8, 21, 9:19 am

I would assume you're right about JFK/LHR being mostly O/D and given that I would actually think it would make more sense to have those flights in T3 and the rest in T5 where connections to BA would be much easier.
HAL don't care..
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 21, 9:35 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF

I would value the ability to go to the CX lounge (in normal times) more than worth the trek through duty free.
teemuflyer likes this.
Old Aug 8, 21, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
The good news is that the transfer Security at T3 was much easier and faster than T5..
Probably not if you're an EXP traveling Y, J or F as you can check in at BA F and access security right there off to the right and dumps you out near the horse!
Score8 likes this.

Search this Thread