Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
It has been confirmed by AA that they will be moving all flights back to LHR T3 as of 12 July 2022:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/destinationInformation/lhr-airport.jsp

We 're moving all operations to Terminal 3 on July 12, 2022.

Until then, if you're flying to New York (JFK), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami (MIA) you’ll check-in and depart from Terminal 5.

Remember to check your flight status before you go to the airport and arrive at least 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
Print Wikipost

AA Splits Ops at LHR / London Heathrow T3 and T5; ending 12 Jul 2022 (confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wrp96
Well that's a bummer for you. AA won't check through on separate tickets, even if they were AA to AA. You'll have to collect your bags and recheck at LHR.

I thought so, unfortunately no way to book as long haul is RT using SWUs so no way to add on the next segment.

At least we are arriving and then leaving in 5
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
flying LHR-JFK (executive plat in Biz class)
so I should just go the BA First check in area vs area “J” as AA.com says for Flagship First check in ?
Yes, use the BA First check-in. It's the farthest entrance as you drive to T-5 departures (upper level). So facing the terminal it's on the extreme right, as the roadway approaches from the left.

Although it states First, I was in AA Business (Club) and used the AA agents directly -- no line at check-in. Very easy and calm. The separate security area took a bit longer, but you are then directly in the Galleries First lounge, so the experience obviates a lot of the walking hither and yon at Heathrow, which is nice.

When I flew to MIA, the AA flights were all leaving from satellite (concourse) B, which does require a short train ride. Do not miss your train exit, apparently this can be a problem.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by fastflyer
When I flew to MIA, the AA flights were all leaving from satellite (concourse) B, which does require a short train ride. Do not miss your train exit, apparently this can be a problem.
Less of a problem missing at B as long as one exits at C where the underground walkway could be used to get back to B, although this would take an additional 5-10 minutes.

Missing the exit at C would be much more problematic.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Yes, use the BA First check-in. It's the farthest entrance as you drive to T-5 departures (upper level). So facing the terminal it's on the extreme right, as the roadway approaches from the left.

Although it states First, I was in AA Business (Club) and used the AA agents directly -- no line at check-in. Very easy and calm. The separate security area took a bit longer, but you are then directly in the Galleries First lounge, so the experience obviates a lot of the walking hither and yon at Heathrow, which is nice.

Your access to BA first check in was solely based on being a Oneworld Emerald status member due to your Exec Platinum status, had you not had that they would have sent you back to the C checkin with AA in a different zone
Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Is there an AA customer service desk inside T5? Or are they exclusively in T3?
Yes I’d like to know as well. I may be imagining it, but I’m sure I’ve seen it mentioned somewhere that there are AA agents in at least one of the lounges in T5. But 2 weeks ago the chap at the BA desk (in main terminal) said there wasn’t. I should think with all the AA flights now in T5, there would have to be one.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I thought so, unfortunately no way to book as long haul is RT using SWUs so no way to add on the next segment.

At least we are arriving and then leaving in 5
Not sure I understand.. Nothing preventing using an SWU for the LH segment and having the SH segment on the same PNR as long as the connection is on another OW carrier. Done it countless times.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by RichieMc
Yes I’d like to know as well. I may be imagining it, but I’m sure I’ve seen it mentioned somewhere that there are AA agents in at least one of the lounges in T5. But 2 weeks ago the chap at the BA desk (in main terminal) said there wasn’t. I should think with all the AA flights now in T5, there would have to be one.
There is definitely one in the Concorde Room.
KARFA and RichieMc like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 6:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spanishflea
There is definitely one in the Concorde Room.
and I am fairly sure there is also an AA presence in the Galleries First? I’ll have a check later on today and see whether I can confirm.
RichieMc likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Not sure I understand.. Nothing preventing using an SWU for the LH segment and having the SH segment on the same PNR as long as the connection is on another OW carrier. Done it countless times.
I’d love to know how you do this. Using the SWUs requires a round trip on AA metal. If I add on a segment in Europe I typically see the fare increase significantly as well. And typically I’m not flying back to LHR from the same destination as the inbound.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Your access to BA first check in was solely based on being a Oneworld Emerald status member due to your Exec Platinum status, had you not had that they would have sent you back to the C checkin with AA in a different zone
I didn’t realize this so good to know. And with OE access is to Galleries First but not Concorde if flying biz in Term 5?
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I’d love to know how you do this. Using the SWUs requires a round trip on AA metal. If I add on a segment in Europe I typically see the fare increase significantly as well. And typically I’m not flying back to LHR from the same destination as the inbound.
Huh? Using SWU's does not require round-trip - they can be applied to one-way itineraries with no problem. Nor does it require that the entire trip be on AA metal. It does require that the AA operated segments in the PNR be booked as AA flight numbers.

I routinely fly DEN--(AA Hub)--LHR--XXX roundtrips, or open jaw (returning from a different city than XXX) flights. Book them on AA.com, AA operated flights DEN-Hub-LHR, BA-operated flights LHR-XXX. Book the trip, call AA, SWUs applied to AA-operated segments no problem. (And just to be completely clear, the SWUs don't work to upgrade the BA-operated segments)

Last edited by bse118; Apr 24, 2022 at 9:58 am Reason: typos
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
Huh? Using SWU's does not require round-trip - they can be applied to one-way itineraries with no problem. Nor does it require that the entire trip be on AA metal. It does require that the AA operated segments in the PNR be booked as AA flight numbers.

I routinely fly DEN--(AA Hub)--LHR--XXX roundtrips, or open jaw (returning from a different city than XXX) flights. Book them on AA.com, AA operated flights DEN-Hub-LHR, BA-operated flights LHR-XXX. Book the trip, call AA, SWUs applied to AA-operated segments no problem. (And just to be completely clear, the SWUs don't work to upgrade the BA-operated segments)
Requires not the right word. It’s just seemed one way is ridiculous dollars to book say LAX to LHR. It also has seemed when I’ve checked booking LAX to LHR to CDG as an example that an $800 RT turns into double that. Is that not your experience? I will say I haven’t considered this recently so I could be wrong and if so I need to be looking into doing it that way more. Wondering as well if adding another segment on a one way negates the expense of the one way.

By AA metal I mean for SWUs.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 1:43 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I didn’t realize this so good to know. And with OE access is to Galleries First but not Concorde if flying biz in Term 5?
Correct.
And the longer walk through LHR duty free.
Only those in real F have access to the shortcut to Concorde Room.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moa999
Correct.
And the longer walk through LHR duty free.
Only those in real F have access to the shortcut to Concorde Room.
A oneworld emerald can use the first wing security which leads straight in to the lounge. Even if you use fast track instead and then walk to the GF lounge after security there is no duty free you are forced to walk though.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bse118

Requires not the right word. It’s just seemed one way is ridiculous dollars to book say LAX to LHR. It also has seemed when I’ve checked booking LAX to LHR to CDG as an example that an $800 RT turns into double that. Is that not your experience? I will say I haven’t considered this recently so I could be wrong and if so I need to be looking into doing it that way more. Wondering as well if adding another segment on a one way negates the expense of the one way.

By AA metal I mean for SWUs.
Basically is boils down to this. You can apply a SWU for up to 3 segments in one direction flying AA metal (some changes might come about that allows them to applied to other OW carriers). One way tickets TATL have been discouraged by the pricing structure, but the return can be the same route, different connecting airport, or an open jaw route, just as long the return carrier is OW (for lower pricing, otherwise likely to be much more expensive). The main restriction for applying the SWU is available UG eligible inventory on the segments and dates you want which can be quite low on popular routes.
bse118 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.