Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the archived 2021 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

FOR THE 2022 THREAD, SEE HERE: link

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:27 am
Original Poster

What website do you recommend for AA fare price drops especially the commuter flights also?
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Stocktc1
What website do you recommend for AA fare price drops especially the commuter flights also?
Sorry but I have no idea what you're asking.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Oh kayak has a price alert that emails me when the price drops. Not sure what others use. Right now the prices are high for some reason.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 2:06 pm

Do you have any insight on the 788? Looks like the concept D layout is the same with rear facing being closer to window. Travel companion doesn't want rear facing at all so I have him directly in front/ behind me on both the 772 and 788- figuring I'll take the rear facing in either case (if that is the case and it's not a super diamond)
Old Feb 25, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Elite Upgrades

I’m newly gold and my 2 500 mile upgrade request checked directly into first at the Checkin mark. So how am I assigned first class already when there’s only 3 seats left and several executive platinums on the upgrade list. Did they clear as well ? How could A gold get upgraded ahead of executive Platinum? Is it first come first serve ? Will my upgrade be revoked tomorrow when I get to the airport ?
Old Feb 25, 2021, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
I’m newly gold and my 2 500 mile upgrade request checked directly into first at the Checkin mark. So how am I assigned first class already when there’s only 3 seats left and several executive platinums on the upgrade list. Did they clear as well ? How could A gold get upgraded ahead of executive Platinum? Is it first come first serve ? Will my upgrade be revoked tomorrow when I get to the airport ?
EXPs are ahead of Gold's on the upgrade list. How do you know there were other EXPs on the list that you cleared ahead of?
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 5:52 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
EXPs are ahead of Gold's on the upgrade list. How do you know there were other EXPs on the list that you cleared ahead of?
I have access to American flight loads rather not go into detail how. but now it looks like there’s 0 seats in first. And 7 upgrade requests. 6 EXP and 1 Platinum Pro. Maybe they were cleared already too ? There were 8 seats 24 hrs out. What if an EXP doesn’t request an upgrade until after Checkin and a lower elite was already cleared ? How would they know ?

Last edited by D3Kingg; Feb 25, 2021 at 6:20 pm
Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:48 pm

Apologies for the length, but would love opinions on this. Family has a one way flight AUA to JFK booked on American (flying a different airline to the destination, but that's not relevant). We have two different record locators; one for me, and one for wife and kids, though we have confirmed they were linked to each other. Flight was "canceled", and they moved me to an earlier flight that day. This is the only direct flight of the day/week now; previously there had been 2 on the day I'm flying, and at least one on the day before and after. Wife and kids weren't moved to the flight with me. The flight is fully sold out, and there's allegedly a 20-30 person overbooking. There's seats still showing, but I'm told these could be for basic economy tickets who don't have seats assigned yet. Airline refuses to move the wife and kids onto the flight, will only offer connecting flights on same day or day before/after, and refuses to pay for a flight on a different airline (including on new code share partner Jet Blue). Can't find any specifics in their contract of carriage around this situation. Any thoughts on what's a reasonable expectation to get this resolved? We've escalated to their customer relations dept, but it's been 36 hours and crickets from them still.

Some other facts:
1. The flight down there was on points, and the hotel is fully cancelable. So we're not really out any $ if this can't be resolved. Also, the flight in question is early April; we're still home so trip hasn't begun.
2. The connecting flight on day of, and the flights the next day, cause problems for quarantine in our home state based on when they arrive and when the kids need to go to school. So not a real option for us.
3. Our tickets were purchased using mostly flight credit. They've offered us a refund, but I don't know if they realize that it's not a cash ticket. If it goes down this path, should I refuse a voucher and can I expect them to give me my original $ back?
4. There's a connecting option day before that they didn't offer. Seats are available (albeit 4-5X the cost of a normal connecting flight), including first class seats on the 2nd leg. If we wanted to shorten trip, could we push them for first class? Would save us luggage fees, which is > $100 for my family.
5. Regardless how this plays out, assuming we need to cancel or get re-booked, what type of compensation should I be pushing them for?

This is probably the worst flight change experience I've had in years.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
I have access to American flight loads rather not go into detail how. but now it looks like there’s 0 seats in first. And 7 upgrade requests. 6 EXP and 1 Platinum Pro. Maybe they were cleared already too ? There were 8 seats 24 hrs out. What if an EXP doesn’t request an upgrade until after Checkin and a lower elite was already cleared ? How would they know ?
I would assume yes, they were all cleared before you.
EXP upgrade requested automatically at purchase.
Once cleared, the seat is yours. They do not un-upgrade you.
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g8orgrant
This is probably the worst flight change experience I've had in years...
Don't take it personally, honestly nothing about that sounds out of the ordinary these days, especially for any trip booked more than 2 months in advance. Some pointers and options:

1) Have AA rebook you onto the same day connecting flight with wife and kids. NY quarantine be damned, or maybe it will be lifted/eased by April.

2) For a schedule change in advance AA is not going to rebook you on JetBlue (or any other airline) unless AA happens to be codesharing with B6 on the AUA-JFK flight in April.

3) Similarly AA is not going to rebook you in First Class on the connecting flights the day before, and unfortunately no compensation is due for any of this.

4) Another option is to just do nothing now but monitor inventory on the nonstop flight, if seats open up call AA to switch the wife and kids..

5) Can always cancel everything for a refund to original form of payment and rebook yourself on whatever option works, or just postpone the trip.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 7:32 am

"3) Similarly AA is not going to rebook you in First Class on the connecting flights the day before, and unfortunately no compensation is due for any of this."

Thanks for the reply. Does this all mean that when I book an airline ticket, that airline really has no obligation to me whatsoever? They can change flights as they see fit, cancel flights as they see fit, etc. And through all this, there's no obligation on their part to get me where I'm supposed to be as I had booked it? About 2-3 years ago, we had tickets to Mexico on Interjet. There was a major schedule change in advance, and the result was a route that would have taken us out of the way. This was pre-covid but at the time their contract of carriage offered a flight on a related airline. They had a code-share w/ American, albeit not on our route, but we did enough escalating that they moved us onto American, presumably on their dime.

Related question - does anyone know how they determine the priority for who got the seats on the plane? We've asked this, and none of the representatives or managers we've spoken with claim to know the answer. We had assigned seats; it was clear from one conversation some seats were unassigned for basic economy. I'd have assumed we'd have been ahead of them in the pecking order.

Thanks,
Grant
Old Feb 26, 2021, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by g8orgrant
"3) Similarly AA is not going to rebook you in First Class on the connecting flights the day before, and unfortunately no compensation is due for any of this."

Thanks for the reply. Does this all mean that when I book an airline ticket, that airline really has no obligation to me whatsoever? They can change flights as they see fit, cancel flights as they see fit, etc. And through all this, there's no obligation on their part to get me where I'm supposed to be as I had booked it? About 2-3 years ago, we had tickets to Mexico on Interjet. There was a major schedule change in advance, and the result was a route that would have taken us out of the way. This was pre-covid but at the time their contract of carriage offered a flight on a related airline. They had a code-share w/ American, albeit not on our route, but we did enough escalating that they moved us onto American, presumably on their dime.

Related question - does anyone know how they determine the priority for who got the seats on the plane? We've asked this, and none of the representatives or managers we've spoken with claim to know the answer. We had assigned seats; it was clear from one conversation some seats were unassigned for basic economy. I'd have assumed we'd have been ahead of them in the pecking order.

Thanks,
Grant
The CoC covers all your rights and the airline's obligations. You can find AA's here.

Relevant to your situation:
When your flight is canceled or a delay will cause you to miss your connection, we'll rebook you on the next flight with available seats. If you decide not to fly because your flight was delayed or canceled, we'll refund the remaining ticket value and any optional fees.

As for the order of who gets rebooked, while they don't disclose that, in my experience, it seems to generally follow the upgrade order and then type/booking class of ticket. aka Highest level of elites (Concierge Key) are taken care of first, while no status/no membership flyers on the cheapest ticket are last. (That is a general feeling from talking to agents and my own experience. I am sure there are some nuances in there; I could see a large group moving up a bit as they may be hard to accommodate/split up. But what I stated works as a general order.)

I think JJeffrey outlined your options pretty well.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 8:11 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I'm flying AA for the first time in over 40 years, and looking forward to see what they are like these days.

I'm booked in Business (I fare bucket) LAS-LAX-MIA-MID in March and LAX-MIA is on the 77W. Will I have Admirals Club access at both LAX & MIA?

Is there any lounge access in LAS? I looked, but couldn't find any AC or OneWorld lounge. If there were one, would my trip qualify for entry?
Old Feb 26, 2021, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by wpcoe
I'm flying AA for the first time in over 40 years, and looking forward to see what they are like these days.

I'm booked in Business (I fare bucket) LAS-LAX-MIA-MID in March and LAX-MIA is on the 77W. Will I have Admirals Club access at both LAX & MIA?

Is there any lounge access in LAS? I looked, but couldn't find any AC or OneWorld lounge. If there were one, would my trip qualify for entry?
Your LAX-MA on the 77W in business class gives you AC access in LAX and MIA. (If the FL is open by then, you can visit the FL lounge. )

No lounge in LAS.
wpcoe likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
When I make a booking it used to give expected earnings for EQM and whatever (I think this was before EQD/EQS maybe - not sure - but I know it was there (I think it was...I could have been drunk)

I can't find anything now, either in booking area or after ticketing.....

I know UA provides that data, on the receipt, online and in the app. Does AA offer something similar, that I just haven't found yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.