Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

My flight at 1220 am tonight is full - switch and benefit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...

Hi all,

My flight tonight at 1220 am (flight 707, LAX-CLT) is supposedly full. When I view the seat map, there's probably 30-40 open seats, this is a large 777-200ER. I booked this flight after a tip from someone on this forum saying this is one of the few planes this route with lie-flat seats, and hoped to get upgraded, even though I am only gold. Yesterday I was offered to change flights for "free" even though pretty much I paid the highest economy price. Today I am being offered to bid on changing flights, 300 min, but still wants me to visit the airport, not automatically confirmed. I know an FA on virtually every airline but American. My questions are as follows:
  • Is the flight really full? How can there be THIS many empty seats? I know the general gist, but this seems excessive. However, neither AA nor Google flights etc will even SELL me a ticket on this plane. Which leads to my next question...
  • Last night, there were 4 unassigned 1st Class seats. Now, with AA not even selling the flight, how can I check that number?
  • AA is letting me bid on being bumped, but do they ever confirm before you even go to the airport? I don't mind waiting exactly 24 hours and getting on the Monday version of this flight which seems like a MUCH better chance of being upgraded.
  • Could I volunteer for a bump and instead of a voucher, ask that by confirming to be bumped they can go ahead and confirm me for first class seat on the Monday identical flight?
  • Should I wait until 820 pm when the upgrade list goes public to decide whether to change flights or not?
Thanks all!
Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Hi all,

My flight tonight at 1220 am (flight 707, LAX-CLT) is supposedly full. When I view the seat map, there's probably 30-40 open seats, this is a large 777-200ER. I booked this flight after a tip from someone on this forum saying this is one of the few planes this route with lie-flat seats, and hoped to get upgraded, even though I am only gold. Yesterday I was offered to change flights for "free" even though pretty much I paid the highest economy price. Today I am being offered to bid on changing flights, 300 min, but still wants me to visit the airport, not automatically confirmed. I know an FA on virtually every airline but American. My questions are as follows:
  • Is the flight really full? How can there be THIS many empty seats? I know the general gist, but this seems excessive. However, neither AA nor Google flights etc will even SELL me a ticket on this plane. Which leads to my next question...
  • Last night, there were 4 unassigned 1st Class seats. Now, with AA not even selling the flight, how can I check that number?
  • AA is letting me bid on being bumped, but do they ever confirm before you even go to the airport? I don't mind waiting exactly 24 hours and getting on the Monday version of this flight which seems like a MUCH better chance of being upgraded.
  • Could I volunteer for a bump and instead of a voucher, ask that by confirming to be bumped they can go ahead and confirm me for first class seat on the Monday identical flight?
  • Should I wait until 820 pm when the upgrade list goes public to decide whether to change flights or not?
Thanks all!
Flight is definitely full, here's the inventory data from EF: C0 J0 R0 D0 I0 U0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0G0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 E0 T0

The only seat currently unassigned in the J cabin is 1H, though with the inventory being zeroed out, it will still almost definitely go out occupied. I would completely forget about being upgraded on this flight at this point. As for seeing if they'll bump you to tomorrow (Monday's) flight, it's worth a try, but even that is only showing J5 at this point so you may or may not have success with that. On the other hand, that Monday flight looks very open right now in the W cabin which you can select as an elite, that's certainly better than regular Y, though it's not lie-flat.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by cmd320
Flight is definitely full, here's the inventory data from EF: C0 J0 R0 D0 I0 U0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0G0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 E0 T0

The only seat currently unassigned in the J cabin is 1H, though with the inventory being zeroed out, it will still almost definitely go out occupied. I would completely forget about being upgraded on this flight at this point. As for seeing if they'll bump you to tomorrow (Monday's) flight, it's worth a try, but even that is only showing J5 at this point so you may or may not have success with that. On the other hand, that Monday flight looks very open right now in the W cabin which you can select as an elite, that's certainly better than regular Y, though it's not lie-flat.
Thanks CMD, what is EF? J5 meaning there are 5 empty seats in first? Man I feel stupid trying to interpret these abbreviations, W cabin is main cabin extra? I am currently in there already, for this existing flight. Do they ever confirm volunteers hours before the flight? Much preferred than to having to drive there to find out first.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Hi all,

My flight tonight at 1220 am (flight 707, LAX-CLT) is supposedly full. When I view the seat map, there's probably 30-40 open seats...
Seatmap is not reflective of full seats. Always use ExpertFlyer and look at the "Availability" not the seat map.

Thanks CMD, what is EF? J5 meaning there are 5 empty seats in first? Man I feel stupid trying to interpret these abbreviations, W cabin is main cabin extra? I am currently in there already, for this existing flight. Do they ever confirm volunteers hours before the flight? Much preferred than to having to drive there to find out first.
EF is http://www.expertflyer.com

...Should I wait until 820 pm when the upgrade list goes public to decide whether to change flights or not?
Thanks all!
If you absolutely want to get on a 772 in J, here is your only option. LAX-JFK-CLT. Outbound from LAX on a 772 and connect on a 737-800 from JFK to CLT. Direct isn't happening.

First: Just call AA and tell them to rebook on these flights* if that doesn't work Get to the airport now.

*If you have already checked-in you will have to go through the airport. You'll want to deal with the ticket agents, gate agents, or lounge agents. I encourage speaking with the check-in/ticket agent first, and then going to the lounge agent if you want any hope if the ticket agent can't do anything (they can).

Last resort is a gate agent, as they are super busy.

Good luck!

Only Hope

7D and 7H are your only options. Middle, but both aisles

N779AN is the tail number so you'll have the beautiful B/E seats that are all forward facing.
jhalapin likes this.

Last edited by JY1024; Dec 20, 2020 at 6:19 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As GlobalMatt notes, EF is ExpertFlyer.

J5 would mean a total of five seats in business class for sale (the premium cabin on two class domestic flights is considered 'business' class despite being marketed as 'first'). W is premium economy, though when flown on domestic segments, it's offered as Main Cabin Extra.

Originally Posted by GlobalMatt
If you absolutely want to get on a 772 in J, here is your only option. LAX-JFK-CLT. Outbound from LAX on a 772 and connect on a 737-800 from JFK to CLT. Direct isn't happening.

First: Just call AA and tell them to rebook on these flights* if that doesn't work Get to the airport now.

*If you have already checked-in you will have to go through the airport. You'll want to deal with the ticket agents, gate agents, or lounge agents. I encourage speaking with the check-in/ticket agent first, and then going to the lounge agent if you want any hope if the ticket agent can't do anything (they can).

Last resort is a gate agent, as they are super busy.

Good luck!
Keep in mind, OP is trying to maximize upgrade chances, so I don't think trying to do LAX-JFK-CLT is going to really help that despite there still being a couple seats available. As a GLD, LAX-JFK is very unlikely to clear.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
As GlobalMatt notes, EF is ExpertFlyer.

J5 would mean a total of five seats in business class for sale (the premium cabin on two class domestic flights is considered 'business' class despite being marketed as 'first'). W is premium economy, though when flown on domestic segments, it's offered as Main Cabin Extra.

Keep in mind, OP is trying to maximize upgrade chances, so I don't think trying to do LAX-JFK-CLT is going to really help that despite there still being a couple seats available. As a GLD, LAX-JFK is very unlikely to clear.
Very good point here and thank you for pointing this out. I did PM the OP and let them know they'd be better off calling AA and asking for either a cash upgrade or a points upgrade. My apologies for not specifying this in the thread!
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
You;re flying Christmas week so the flight is going to be quite full. Can you fly via MIA? AA was running a 77W to MIA at 12:10 am. Not sure if that is gone now.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
You;re flying Christmas week so the flight is going to be quite full. Can you fly via MIA? AA was running a 77W to MIA at 12:10 am. Not sure if that is gone now.
This has changed to a 772 in the last few days. Unfortunately tonight's is already zeroed out in J.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

In short, I haven't checked in, and would love to sleep to get there and not get COVID. I am doing my rapid test in an hour, for mom's sanity. Currently seated in Main Cabin Extra by way of gold, and because I booked last minute and the one way flight was the max price for economy, 300 bucks. Since they're asking for volunteers to get bumped, I am wondering if I can get that $300 back (or via a new credit) and not have to go to the airport twice, or for no credit but a guarantee to be upgraded to first on the following exact same flight the following day. GlobalMatt has suggested perhaps I call the AAdvantage Hotline, so that might just be what I do.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:35 pm

This has changed to a 772 in the last few days. Unfortunately tonight's is already zeroed out in J.
Yah, I see that but there are plenty of seats in the PE section. If I had NO upgrade hopes, I'd switch to that flight for the PE cabin which is quite open...
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

This is my current seat, 14L, but I am not a very good chair sleeper, lie-flat to me is so much easier.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:40 pm

You're in the PE cabin now. That's not a bad deal. Have a drink beforehand and get some sleep shades.
jcatman and cmd320 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GlobalMatt
Very good point here and thank you for pointing this out. I did PM the OP and let them know they'd be better off calling AA and asking for either a cash upgrade or a points upgrade. My apologies for not specifying this in the thread!
I paid 300 for the seat, and first class is 540. I already knew using 5 500 upgrades was almost a wash since they're worth 40 each, but... none the less. I think I read here somewhere if you fly via a paid or mile paid upgrade to first class, you only earn miles for your original booking? Is that right? I would be better "cancelling" my flight and then using the credit and paying an additional 240 for the first class seat the following day, versus an upgrade which will probably cost the same, no, or did I read whatever I read wrong?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I paid 300 for the seat, and first class is 540. I already knew using 5 500 upgrades was almost a wash since they're worth 40 each, but... none the less. I think I read here somewhere if you fly via a paid or mile paid upgrade to first class, you only earn miles for your original booking? Is that right? I would be better "cancelling" my flight and then using the credit and paying an additional 240 for the first class seat the following day, versus an upgrade which will probably cost the same, no, or did I read whatever I read wrong?
If you do a paid upgrade you'll earn the full mileage for the premium cabin that you're ticketed in. If you do a mileage upgrade you will only earn on your original Y ticket.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
This is my current seat, 14L, but I am not a very good chair sleeper, lie-flat to me is so much easier.
Essentially your in a domestic F seat which equates to PE for long haul which equates to better than your typical Main Cabin seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.