FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My flight at 1220 am tonight is full - switch and benefit?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:28 pm
Carolina2Cali

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
My flight at 1220 am tonight is full - switch and benefit?

Hi all,

My flight tonight at 1220 am (flight 707, LAX-CLT) is supposedly full. When I view the seat map, there's probably 30-40 open seats, this is a large 777-200ER. I booked this flight after a tip from someone on this forum saying this is one of the few planes this route with lie-flat seats, and hoped to get upgraded, even though I am only gold. Yesterday I was offered to change flights for "free" even though pretty much I paid the highest economy price. Today I am being offered to bid on changing flights, 300 min, but still wants me to visit the airport, not automatically confirmed. I know an FA on virtually every airline but American. My questions are as follows:
  • Is the flight really full? How can there be THIS many empty seats? I know the general gist, but this seems excessive. However, neither AA nor Google flights etc will even SELL me a ticket on this plane. Which leads to my next question...
  • Last night, there were 4 unassigned 1st Class seats. Now, with AA not even selling the flight, how can I check that number?
  • AA is letting me bid on being bumped, but do they ever confirm before you even go to the airport? I don't mind waiting exactly 24 hours and getting on the Monday version of this flight which seems like a MUCH better chance of being upgraded.
  • Could I volunteer for a bump and instead of a voucher, ask that by confirming to be bumped they can go ahead and confirm me for first class seat on the Monday identical flight?
  • Should I wait until 820 pm when the upgrade list goes public to decide whether to change flights or not?
Thanks all!