Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Memories of the Boeing 767-300ER, retired 31 Mar 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Memories of the Boeing 767-300ER, retired 31 Mar 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:32 am
C46

N39365, 31AUG16, AA241, DUS-ORD
Old May 30, 2020, 1:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My first ever TATL J flight was in 1998 on an AA 44, a 767-300 flying JFK-ORY. That was back when the seats were sheepskin recliners. I remember the meal being good but it being a real struggle to find a place to put your Sony Videoman movie player while you were watching a movie and it being annoying if the movie you wanted to watch was already grabbed by someone else.

In 2003 I was in my first year of AA status and a Platinum at only 17. I was flying JFK-SJU with family and got an op up for me AND my younger brother because I had the highest status on the plane. That was right after the 763s went from 3 class to 2 class and the J cabin was really spacious. Plus who doesn't think fondly of their first Op Up?

Another great memory was in 2006. I was flying RDU-ORD-LAX as a Platinum and was going to miss the upgrade on the MD-80 I was booked on for ORD-LAX. I asked at the AC if I could move to the later flight which was a 763. I was told unequivocally no. I then went to the gate and the agent there changed me over. I remember slinking back into the AC afraid the guy who told me no would notice me. Flying 4 hours in the Premium J was great.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton HHonors, AAdvantage, Tier 8 Status - Hotel Tonight
I definitely have some VERY fond memories of being on the AA 763ER.

1. DFW-HNL in Y with new seats and old bulkheads with the "Cloudy" Features up in 2002. Great service and good food, but also extremely boring. It was almost 8 hours long.

2. The second was flying from MIA-LAX in November 2004 from MIA-LAX in an exit row. I caught an insanely cheap EWR-MIA-LAX-EWR segment doing college visits and eventually attended LMU as a result. We did the Newark-Miami segment with my Grandmother because it was during the NJ High School Convention Break and stayed on South Beach before flying on the 763 to LAX. Her and my sister flew back with CO to EWR while we went West. We definitely got Breakfast comped in coach on the 763 and it was French Toast. LAX was super dreary compared to MIA that week.

3. 2007 flying back from College Break over Easter. It was DFW-LAX in J-class and the service was phenomenal and served me (underage) a few glasses of wine. Food was some dry chicken but was known as a "Snack" but it was almost a full meal with the wine. Nobody was on the plane but the service was impeccable.

4. LAX-DFW in 2008 for Spring Break in PVR. The DFW-PVR flight was with ex-TWA F/As from STL on an M80 in F (upgraded) and were absolutely fantastic. The 763ER flight not so much. I purchased a cookie with dollar bills (allowed at the time) and they forgot to serve it to me. I had to ask them in the rear galleys for it and they weren't having it. I didn't care as I was on a 763 on a short flight.

5. I did get upgraded to J on LAX-DFW on another 763 in 2008 last second at the gate. The first generation of lie-flat J seats really hurt my back and the service was rushed and pretty lame. Below Average for me but nice to get the upgrade and a free meal.

I do think the AA 763ER lifespan was cut a bit short because of COVID as they fit in quite nicely into the PHL hub for TATL use.

Last edited by LAX_AUS_DL_FLYER; Jul 15, 2020 at 9:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.