Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Memories of the Boeing 767-300ER, retired 31 Mar 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Memories of the Boeing 767-300ER, retired 31 Mar 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum
I liked the chances of getting upgraded on the 762 when I used to fly CLT - LAX in the 90's and 00's. Loved the 3-2-3 seating when not upgraded too. But I don't miss the tiny overheads on the legacy AA 763s flying transatlantic.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: AA - EXP
767 has a special place in my heart...

Premium Fare deals posted the new JFK-BCN route in Premium Economy being bookable as BA ticket stock for the same price as AA issued. Jumped on it and then booked BCN - LHR in BA, J. This would complete my EXP strategy for the year.

Flight to BCN was Opped up to J! First time in AA international J, a bit underwhelmed compared to my recent JAL, CX, and QF flights upfront but no complaints!

BA strikes made my skip back to BCN on the return a potential nightmare. I had to rebook a Norwegian flight to make my connection. Landed at the other terminal, had to take a bus, sprint through the terminal and go through SSS (ffs). Made it within 30seconds of doors closing, back in Y+.

...., who misses flying
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 10:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I was based at CDG for 7 years so almost all my AA flights across the Atlantic were on 763s (AA44/45 and AA62/63). Had many mechanical delays but during these delays got to meet great seat mates.

One of my best memories was back in 2015, flying home (SDQ) just a few days before my wedding. We taxied all the way to the runway (which can mean a good half an hour at CDG) but then suddenly the captain said that there was something wrong so we went back to a remote parking. After checking the plane, it was determined that it could be fixed but half of the passengers and their bags had to stay at CDG so that we could fly to MIA with no issues.

Long story short: 3 hours delayed, missed connecting flight and barely made it to the last flight of the night.

A few weeks later took the same bird on the way back from HNL.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
My first experience in Business class was on the AA 763 when they used to fly SFO-JFK, so I do have fond memories of these.

In fact, I think I've been hooked on finding ways to get into J/F ever since, although admittedly I've broadened my horizons to include many other carriers besides AA.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
The “Luxury Liner” tag was applied to the 767-223ER, but I’m not remembering that in the 763. That doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Other Luxury Liners included the Airbus A300, Boeing 747, Douglas and McDonnell Douglas DC-10-10 (unsure about the -30) and MD-11.
The 763 definitely also had the “Luxury Liner” moniker. I remember it well.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:32 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Djokison
The 763 definitely also had the “Luxury Liner” moniker. I remember it well.
It did:

Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Good riddance.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Danwriter
Good riddance.
Yup. Flying on them was like Russian roulette with regards to whether there would be an issue and you would get stuck. Except there were 5 bullets instead of 1.
​​​
​​​​
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
I will not miss the 767. In recent years, I've experienced an inordinate number of delays with the 76 due to mechanical issues. When things worked it was a great aircraft, but far to many delays soured the experience. I felt lucky that these mechanical problems seemed to happen most often at MIA or DFW where AA generally found a replacement aircraft.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I am so happy these planes are off the tarmac. A once great plane was eclipsed by newer aircraft offering lower operational costs and a better inflight experience. I will not miss the tablets loaded with IFE. I will not miss the "lie flat" seats that felt like coffins. While always sad to see the end of an era, I will toast never having to fly one of these again.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
It seemed as though is the past 12-18 months the maintenance issues were reduced as only the 763s left were the newer deliveries from the late 90s and 2000-2003 (same age as many of the 772s). They were a far better ride in Y (sans any AVOD) and the lie flat business seats weren't all that bad. Yes eating a meal and trying to watch something on a tablet is a pain but with AA ridding the LAA 321/757 (J) and newer 738 fleet of in seat screens that's going to be the future. At some point I see AA ripping out screens on it's wide body a/c too.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platimum 8.1MM
I agree these were getting long in the tooth, I recently ran across one of the flight maps the pilots would mark up and post in the galley from 1992, long, long before the inflight maps we take for granted these days.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I remember my first flight in 2003. AUS-DFW-EZE. We ended up on AA because my boss was loyal to them (he was originally from DFW) and so that's who we took on this trip. I had never flown or booked air travel before, and at the time had no idea to keep track of anything, or knew it would become a regular thing for me. I've been on AA ever since, with a few rare flights on others over the years.

Advice given to me as a first time flyer back then - "Use the 30 minutes to DFW to get used to it, then you're stuck for 10 hours".
I'm pretty sure those first two flights were on an MD80 and 767 (guessing -300).

The flight down was great, had an entire middle row to myself, and was able to spread out and relax. I was looking forward to the return flight home. Of course, we all know how that luck works - stuck next to another big guy on the way back and it wasn't nearly as fun.

I never (that I know of) ended up on a 762, but did have some more trips on the 763 over the years, HNL comes to mind. I started moving up to J as time went on, always in the NGBC seats. Never got to try the new flat beds on the 763 before they retired.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by internationaltoll
... long, long before the inflight maps we take for granted these days.
You mean the ones AA is ripping out of A321s and B737s?
internationaltoll likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: Delta SM, 1MM; Alaska Gold 100K
Not sure if this is the same 767 model, but in 2018 I was unexpectedly granted three months of Platinum Pro with the 500-mile stickers. I was required to fly a certain number of flights to maintain it for the rest of the year, so I discovered a JFK-MIA-SJU-MIA-JFK route for a little over $200. Amazingly, all upgrades cleared in advance at the respective windows. The same 767 was utilized on the MIA-SJU-MIA-JFK legs. On the JFK return there was a go-around and the AA pilot made a funny pun on the old Delta Airlines "Keep Climbing" slogan re: "...not climbing fast enough..." (I could see from my seat it was a Delta Airlines plane slowly leaving the runway).

I also remember sitting in the single seat in First on the 767s that used to be used on the trans-cons and the Bose headsets and the personal DVD players along with the packet of "new .releases" DVDs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.