Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Memories of the Boeing 767-300ER, retired 31 Mar 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Memories of the Boeing 767-300ER, retired 31 Mar 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN

My only AA 767 was, believe it or not, flying from Miami to Orlando. As you can see, it was an older model with the drop-down monitors.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Yes those 763 that used to fly between MCO and MIA. In the summer time the flights were always massively delayed due to Florida weather. That short flight had more drama than any other route in the system.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
Fond memories on the 763 over the entire 32 years. When BUR was still servicing DFW, it was almost always this plane. Many US domestic flights, too many to count and also international, route ORD-DUS. These days, I flew in Y and the last years in a now antiquated C. The 767-300 was also prone to mechanical issues and I witnessed change of equipment as well during my long tenure with AA
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat
Remember when the 767-200 was replacing the DC-10 on the LAX-JFK route. The business class seats on the 767 were so much better than the DC-10 that I tended not to want to use upgrades unless it was a 767.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
But it won't be flying. Schedules are still in flux. I remember back in 2009 a DEQM promotion LGA/ORD/FRA for something like $275 with the FRA portion on a 763. The entire then FRA AC was full of FTs doing MRs.
In 2009, there was a $79 o/w fare AND 3xEGM promo on the LAX-BOS/SFO-BOS routes, to respond to B6 entering those markets. For $158, I booked LAX-SFO-BOS-LAX, leaving LAX at around 8pm and returning at around 11am+1 (I'd been let go 2 months before...), and got about 16,500 EQMs. (I did that run 3x - it kept my ExecPlat for 2010, when we went to Australia and got to use the QF F lounge - making it worth the $480!)

One night, we had 15+ FTers on the SFO-BOS redeye; 11 of us had flown up from LAX, and were getting on the 7:30am BOS-LAX flight (both were 767s, IIRC). We convinced the FA on SFO-BOS that, when she announced the connecting gates, she should announce the LAX flight. (7 of us in F alone showed her BPs for it...she didn't believe me at first.) When she announced it, we all cheered - and the cheers echoed back from Y. It was a fun moment...
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond,
Originally Posted by donotblink
I will miss these on JFK -> MIA. Hope they keep a 777 on that.
I always look for those on JFK-MIA. A few years ago I had booked J for JFK-MIA because I needed the EQD and EQMs. I can't remember what aircraft I flew down on, but standard recline business/first seat. On the way back, lay flat seat. What a nice treat! I too hope they'll keep 777 on that route.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
ORD-FRA Mileage Runs

I remember fondly remember (or barely remember) numerous ORD-FRA $500 mileage runs in the 00's where the old, tiny FL and the J cabin were chock full of FlyerTalkers doing turns or quick overnights. And not always on their best behavior, with the party continuing in the FRA AC with a great staff (David, as I recall was a standout). Of course, those were the days of wide open C space and freely tradeable VIPs. Good times.

Last edited by planecrashlaw; Apr 14, 2020 at 12:29 pm Reason: Another memory
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.flyertalk.com-vbulletin/1600x1200/dscn4980_b7e32fe4d379ffb857d52a8045a09369c3bb28b2. jpg
My only AA 767 was, believe it or not, flying from Miami to Orlando. As you can see, it was an older model with the drop-down monitors.
It has been a long time since I've been in the back of one but at least it looks like they got new seat covers, even if they retained the old 1980s-style boxy overhead compartments in the back. Brings back memories...
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by planecrashlaw
I remember fondly remember (or barely remember) numerous ORD-FRA $500 mileage runs in the 00's where the old, tiny FL and the J cabin were chock full of FlyerTalkers doing turns or quick overnights. And not always on their best behavior, with the party continuing in the FRA AC with a great staff (David, as I recall was a standout). Of course, those were the days of wide open C space and freely tradeable VIPs. Good times.
Yes I remember those runs and the early morning party at the FRA AC. I was living in NYC at the time and the check in agent (IIRC you couldn't OLCI for International back then) at LGA was asking me where my coat was. Then she looked at my return for the next morning and she was totally flabbergasted. I also remember the agent at ORD Customs asking how was is that most of the plane had only been in Germany for a few hours.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:10 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I remember these fondly, They were the mainstay to London. Two flights stand out, One LHR-MIA when they only had 6 FAs for the whole flight. Many had gone sick. They could operate with 6 as each door was covered. The other was a flight to LAX in the late nineties which took 13.75 hours from LHR. The headwinds were unbelievable. It was the talk of the LAX FA International base when we flew onwards to HNL 48 hours later.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:35 am
C46

As a pax, I've only seen them 3 times; was mostly on "the other side"!
SDQBound and bchandler02 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
My favorite memory of the 767 was the pleasure of being in the jump seat on my fiance's IOE flights. She always wanted a Boeing type rating, and a few years back she moved up from the Airbus to 757/767 fleet. She absolutely loved both types. Sadly, her fleet is gone, but she's one of the lucky ones who is on paid leave.

I'll never forget the joy she expressed on hand flying arguably one of the best jets Boeing ever made. She loved the 767, while I preferred the 757.

Farewell to the 767, I hope Prime Air treats them well....
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I took many RDU-LHR trips on the 763. I always liked the three-row (later, two-row) "mini-cabin" in coach. On my very first RDU-LHR trip, I had a set of 3 seats in the middle of the mini-cabin all to myself and got quite a good nap. My last 763 trip was AMS-PHL in the exit row on an award ticket.

Like many others, I'll miss the 2-3-2 seating for its super-quick boarding, pairs of seats for couples traveling together, and less than 15% middle seats (crazy to think that if the load factor is 85% or less it's possible for every passenger to have a window or aisle). In coach, I would take it every day over the newly refurbed 772 with 3-4-3 layout and 40% middle seats. The too-small overhead bins and 90's style drop down monitors were obviously outdated, and that was entirely on AA, who perpetually had the 76s slated for retirement "soon" and therefore didn't want to invest.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
The only AA flight on a 767 I think I took was just a few years ago JFK-CDG and back. All in Y. It was an aweful flight eastbound -- completely packed, full of chatty families that blocked the aisles and yapped until well past four hours in the rather short flight. Definitely had a chicken bus feel. Didn't sleep a peep, couldn't check in early at the hotel in Paris so tried to just close my eyes in a shopping mall, but then security yelled and chase us away. Never recovered that week from the sleep deprivation, though, towards the end I did have plenty of fun. Was my first trip to Paris. The return flight was okay, I guess, but definitely an old feeling plane. That was the trip that finally got me to buy a nice pair of noise cancelling headphones.

The only other clear memory of a 767 was a Delta DTW-AMS flight years ago (first flight to Europe) and that I remember the plane was somewhat tired and the audio jack was weird in both directions.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA, BA
First ever experience of American Airlines was a 763

Picture the scene (if you were alive in 1995). It is 14th December at London Heathrow. Terminal 3 is in the type of pre-Christmas chaos akin to Boston in 'Die Hard 2'. It is the last cheap day to travel to the USA before the fares shot up for Christmas. Unbeknown to me and my travel buddy, the plane is hopelessly oversold. I was a scruffy Gen X'er, not long out of University, working my first McJob, knew nothing of the delights in front of the curtain.. I had simply saved up enough money to travel around the US: see a bit of the east and west coast, plus Las Vegas for Christmas. Economy travel all the way, plus a bit of Greyhound for good measure.

Our travel itinerary was tight, and we had very little vacation time in Boston before heading to LA, so when the check-in agents started calling for volunteers to be off-loaded, we weren't interested. So eventually we were checked in, and thought no more of it.

Flight departure was scheduled for 18:00 (unsure of the AA#, my memory is not that good), so we went to the gate. Our boarding passes were for row 12 (I think). Boarded the 763, and naturally turned right. There was then a moment of confusion as we looked for row 12, but the front of the Coach section did not start at row 12 so where could it be? Then The Penny Dropped.

There it was: that micro-dump of elation when you realise that you have been unexpectedly upgraded. But like all drugs (I assume) nothing beats the first time,

Walked up front into this new world of business class. My first thought: should I be in here? Genuinely. Then to the cabin- look at the size of those seats, they are like armchairs! Is that lambswool on them? A centre console between seats? A free amenity kit in the form of a very useful burgundy bum bag/fanny pack? Yep, there was row 12: seats 12A and 12B.

Sat down. Had to supress the giggles. What a result! Wait, hang on, here comes a flight attendant handing out newspapers off the trolley "Wall Street Journal? Evening Standard? Wall Street Journal? Evening Standard?..." Approaching row 12 now, do I get a newspaper to look like all the other businessmen? Could not supress the grin...

FA: "Do you two want comic books?"

Boom. totally busted down to size.

This is where I cannot remember too much more of the flight, apart from the in-flight movie on a drop-down screen: "The Santa Claus 2". Didn't watch it as I was too busy enjoying the in flight service. The only downer was that the we were situated in the smoking section, but beggers cannot be choosers. One element of the service I do remember is the 'Milk and Cookies'. Here's a picture taken by our FA. I think by this point she had forgiven us for lowering the tone and was happy to let a camera flash startle the slumbering cabin.

Good times, and thank you AA and the 767!

Milk and Cookies service on the 763 LHR-BOS 12/14/1995
MorganB, DFW_CK and jcatman like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.