Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA May Cancel Some 737 MAX Orders Due to Financing Difficulties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2020, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

This is from a WSJ article, so unfortunately behind a paywall, but it does illustrate some of the challenges that that AA is currently encountering with their finances (and I'm sure they're not alone).

From https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...d=hp_lead_pos4

"American Airlines Group Inc. AAL +6.09% has threatened to cancel some of its orders for Boeing Co. BA +2.83% ’s troubled 737 MAX jets, people familiar with the matter said, a sign of deepening financial stress in the aviation industry.The Fort Worth, Texas-based carrier has struggled to secure financing for 17 jets it had expected Boeing to deliver this year, some of these people said. The coronavirus pandemic has led to a sharp drop in air-travel demand and left global airlines fighting to survive, with many unable to afford planes they no longer need."
Old Jul 10, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I feel that 737 MAX will be scrapped altogether, as most carriers will refuse to get them. That will be a huge hit to Boeing.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
They won't be good enough. Due to financial crisis. Hopefully in a few years they will get better soon. They can re-orders 737-MAX again.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 5:35 pm

The article had lots of wiggle room and back tracking. I think it is mostly smoke by AA.
Mcflyneo likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by arollins
I feel that 737 MAX will be scrapped altogether, as most carriers will refuse to get them. That will be a huge hit to Boeing.
One can only hope. That project should have been scrapped from its inception.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:47 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The MAX's never-ending delays may render this moot, as the climate may improve by the time they can actually be delivered. Or AA may be bankrupt.

Some of this is undoubtedly negotiating tactics on AA's part, but I wouldn't be surprised if the MAX fiasco had made financiers very reluctant to touch the plane, over and above their concerns about the sector in general at the moment.
MrAndy1369 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
one mile at a time also has the story as well.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 6:36 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
The last line of the remaining article screenshot is very interesting. "unless Boeing helps" ...
I don't doubt that AA is in a bad spot, but this could be a negotiation ploy.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by arollins
The MAX is already a "huge hit to Boeing" no matter what. The costs of Boeing's errors are a gigantic multiple of the savings they sought to secure by cutting corners and leveraging the 52-year-old 737 planform one last time. That said I doubt the program will be scrapped at this point -- just frozen for some years. Boeing's effectively handed Airbus the entire short / medium-haul market, what's left of it, for the balance of the 2020s.
jordyn, cmd320 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
There must be a lot of almost-new aircraft available off-lease for bargain prices. I'd think selling new aircraft is going to be very challenging for a while.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by TBD
The last line of the remaining article screenshot is very interesting. "unless Boeing helps" ...
I don't doubt that AA is in a bad spot, but this could be a negotiation ploy.
Airbus helped fund the HP-US merger and some of those executives are at AA today, so they know what they are doing.
JDiver, TWA884 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Byeeeee Boeing
Old Jul 11, 2020, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Byeeeee Boeing
Certainly Boeing bears a lot of the fault for their current predicament by making a plane on the cheap that doesn’t fly safely; but the coronavirus is really gonna be the dagger in their heart. Airbus should survive in tact, Boeing will have a much more difficult time unless it becomes a US government entity. AA is smart to play hardball with them now.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Certainly Boeing bears a lot of the fault for their current predicament by making a plane on the cheap that doesn’t fly safely; but the coronavirus is really gonna be the dagger in their heart. Airbus should survive in tact, Boeing will have a much more difficult time unless it becomes a US government entity. AA is smart to play hardball with them now.
I’m sure Boeing falls under the ‘too big to fail’ umbrella of protectionism. Really wish Lockheed would get back into commercial airplanes. The L-1011 remains one of my absolute favorites.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
I will try my best never to fly the 737-MAX

I hope all orders are cancelled. Too bad for Boeing. Former CEO should be taken to court as an INDIVIDUAL. FWIW to AA, I will make my travel plans to avoid the 737-MAX. I like AAs international equipment, but if need be, I will use DELTA (supposedly not buying MAXs) to get to an AA gateway before proceeding on my journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.