Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mileage Upgrade refund if I cancel flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX PLAT, DL PLAT, RITZ CARLTON PLAT, HILTON GOLD

I used AA miles to upgrade to first class from JFK-ANU for flight 4/23 and anticipate having to cancel the flight due to Covid 19. How do I get my miles refunded from a mileage upgrade?

Last edited by edfisher; Mar 21, 2020 at 4:26 pm Reason: missing words
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by edfisher
I used AA miles to upgrade to first class from JFK-ANU for flight 4/23 and anticipate having to cancel the flight due to Covid 19. How do I get my miles refunded from a mileage upgrade?
Call
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:13 pm

Do not call! ...send a message via the contact page
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Did you get a response? I was told there would be no refund
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by edfisher
Originally Posted by Centurion
Do not call! ...send a message via the contact page
Originally Posted by JBox
Did you get a response? I was told there would be no refund
Sigh...you always have to call AA reservations to get miles from an award ticket re-deposited. Sending an email to AA customer relations is NOT the way to go. A mileage upgrade is considered an award ticket no different than any other award ticket.

Virus pandemic or not, it's always been possible to re-deposit the miles from an upgrade award, anyone that's not EXP just has to pay the $150 re-deposit fee.

Under normal circumstances the $$ co-pay is non-refundable, however the trick now is just finding a sympathetic agent who will cancel and refund everything for no fee. This board is now littered with the same questions over and over about if/how/when/why to get refunds and redeposits for cancelled tickets, lots of examples of some folks calling one agent who says they must pay redeposit fee, calling the next agent who cancels and refunds everything with no fee.

For a flight that's not for over a month your best bet is to just wait and see if AA cancels the flight or changes the schedules. If/when this happens you can for sure call and cancel everything for a full refund, for no fee. My flights for early and mid April are still showing operating as usual, of course we all know in all likelihood that will change.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Hi I paid $350, plus 25K in miles for an upgrade to Vienna. I had to cancel my flight due to my meeting being canceled. AA gave me a full refund and returned my miles. BUT i suggest you stay on them. When I called the first time they agreed to refund both. Nothing happened for 2 weeks. I called a second time and the person refiled my request and a week later my money was refunded. I called yesterday and they finally returned my miles. Just a heads up I don't believe that they were not going to follow through I just believe that things have been hectic and a refund request for an upgrade wasn't high on priorities. So start calling!
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Sigh...you always have to call AA reservations to get miles from an award ticket re-deposited. Sending an email to AA customer relations is NOT the way to go. A mileage upgrade is considered an award ticket no different than any other award ticket.

Virus pandemic or not, it's always been possible to re-deposit the miles from an upgrade award, anyone that's not EXP just has to pay the $150 re-deposit fee.

Under normal circumstances the $$ co-pay is non-refundable, however the trick now is just finding a sympathetic agent who will cancel and refund everything for no fee. This board is now littered with the same questions over and over about if/how/when/why to get refunds and redeposits for cancelled tickets, lots of examples of some folks calling one agent who says they must pay redeposit fee, calling the next agent who cancels and refunds everything with no fee.

For a flight that's not for over a month your best bet is to just wait and see if AA cancels the flight or changes the schedules. If/when this happens you can for sure call and cancel everything for a full refund, for no fee. My flights for early and mid April are still showing operating as usual, of course we all know in all likelihood that will change.
FWIW, I had a similar situation a few years ago where I had confirmed a miles+copay upgrade and the flight was cancelled (albeit due to a mechanical issue.) I reached out to AA via Twitter DM and the agent reinstated my miles (almost immediately) and I had to wait a few days for the copay refund to be processed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.