FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Mileage Upgrade refund if I cancel flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2013891-mileage-upgrade-refund-if-i-cancel-flight.html)

edfisher Mar 21, 20 4:25 pm

Mileage Upgrade refund if I cancel flight?

I used AA miles to upgrade to first class from JFK-ANU for flight 4/23 and anticipate having to cancel the flight due to Covid 19. How do I get my miles refunded from a mileage upgrade?

mvoight Mar 21, 20 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by edfisher (Post 32216269)
I used AA miles to upgrade to first class from JFK-ANU for flight 4/23 and anticipate having to cancel the flight due to Covid 19. How do I get my miles refunded from a mileage upgrade?

Call

Centurion Mar 22, 20 7:13 pm

Do not call! ...send a message via the contact page

JBox Mar 23, 20 11:10 am

Did you get a response? I was told there would be no refund

JJeffrey Mar 24, 20 6:51 am

Originally Posted by edfisher (Post 32216269)

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 32220488)
Do not call! ...send a message via the contact page

Originally Posted by JBox (Post 32222770)
Did you get a response? I was told there would be no refund

Sigh...you always have to call AA reservations to get miles from an award ticket re-deposited. Sending an email to AA customer relations is NOT the way to go. A mileage upgrade is considered an award ticket no different than any other award ticket.

Virus pandemic or not, it's always been possible to re-deposit the miles from an upgrade award, anyone that's not EXP just has to pay the $150 re-deposit fee.

Under normal circumstances the $$ co-pay is non-refundable, however the trick now is just finding a sympathetic agent who will cancel and refund everything for no fee. This board is now littered with the same questions over and over about if/how/when/why to get refunds and redeposits for cancelled tickets, lots of examples of some folks calling one agent who says they must pay redeposit fee, calling the next agent who cancels and refunds everything with no fee.

For a flight that's not for over a month your best bet is to just wait and see if AA cancels the flight or changes the schedules. If/when this happens you can for sure call and cancel everything for a full refund, for no fee. My flights for early and mid April are still showing operating as usual, of course we all know in all likelihood that will change.

arsintel Mar 25, 20 7:37 am

Hi I paid $350, plus 25K in miles for an upgrade to Vienna. I had to cancel my flight due to my meeting being canceled. AA gave me a full refund and returned my miles. BUT i suggest you stay on them. When I called the first time they agreed to refund both. Nothing happened for 2 weeks. I called a second time and the person refiled my request and a week later my money was refunded. I called yesterday and they finally returned my miles. Just a heads up I don't believe that they were not going to follow through I just believe that things have been hectic and a refund request for an upgrade wasn't high on priorities. So start calling!

bunmango Mar 25, 20 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 32226030)
Sigh...you always have to call AA reservations to get miles from an award ticket re-deposited. Sending an email to AA customer relations is NOT the way to go. A mileage upgrade is considered an award ticket no different than any other award ticket.

Virus pandemic or not, it's always been possible to re-deposit the miles from an upgrade award, anyone that's not EXP just has to pay the $150 re-deposit fee.

Under normal circumstances the $$ co-pay is non-refundable, however the trick now is just finding a sympathetic agent who will cancel and refund everything for no fee. This board is now littered with the same questions over and over about if/how/when/why to get refunds and redeposits for cancelled tickets, lots of examples of some folks calling one agent who says they must pay redeposit fee, calling the next agent who cancels and refunds everything with no fee.

For a flight that's not for over a month your best bet is to just wait and see if AA cancels the flight or changes the schedules. If/when this happens you can for sure call and cancel everything for a full refund, for no fee. My flights for early and mid April are still showing operating as usual, of course we all know in all likelihood that will change.

FWIW, I had a similar situation a few years ago where I had confirmed a miles+copay upgrade and the flight was cancelled (albeit due to a mechanical issue.) I reached out to AA via Twitter DM and the agent reinstated my miles (almost immediately) and I had to wait a few days for the copay refund to be processed.