Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Interim Lounge Closures, Service Reductions, Club & Flagship (Coronavirus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Due to the large reductions in passenger loads due to novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 and the COVID-19 disease it causes. and subsequent drop in lounge users, American Airlines has announced service curtailments and reductions at some AA lounges.

MOST Admirals Clubs and lounges will be shut down. All food, beverage and shower services will be closed down. Link

See post #70 for the temporary closure and which services remain.

See post #46 for list of changes 19 March 2020.

Major Admiral’s Club, catering, and premium cabin changes coming due to the #coronavirus:

CLOSURES for the interim (Admirals Club unless other specified)
  • MIA Miami D15 (D30 remains open)
  • PHX Phoenix A20 club is closed (the other two locations remain open)
  • JFK New York JFK (use the Flagship lounge)
  • LAX T5 (T4 remains open)
  • DFW Dallas Fort Worth E (A, B, C, and D remain open)
  • ORD Chicago O’Hare G and L (H/K remains open)
  • CDG Paris
  • GIG Rio de Janeiro
  • GRU Sao Paulo
  • EZE Buenos Aires
  • LHR London Heathrow Flagship lounge (Admirals Club has reduced hours
Some Clubs have altered schedules. Food services have changed. In a few, alcohol is no longer served. In some you must exit the lounge to eat what you have picked up or purchased (so the lounge won’t be treated as a restaurant).

We’re changing procedures in our Admirals Club and Flagship Lounges to provide even more peace of mind for customers. Effective Monday, March 16, American will replace buffet-style food with individually portioned, covered food items and will shift most self-service beverages to individual portions such as milk cartons or bartender/wait staff service. The safety of our customers and guests is our top priority.

In Flagship Lounges, we’ll replace buffet-style food with individually portioned, covered food items

- This includes both hot and cold breakfast and all-day options

- Milk carafes will be replaced with individual cartons in beverage fridges and other beverage dispensers (water, tea, etc.) will be moved behind the bar

In Admirals Clubs, breakfast and all-day set up will be displayed on trays, either pre-packaged or individually wrapped

- This includes both hot and cold breakfast and all-day options Pre-packaged Quaker oatmeal with hot water available

-Soup will no longer be served

-Milk carafes will be replaced with individual cartons in ice bath or frost top and other beverage dispensers (water, tea, juice, etc.) will be moved behind the bar

Other changes:

- Bulk condiments will be replaced with portion-controlled packets

- Snack dispensers will be replaced with individually wrapped or pre-packaged snacks

- Cutlery and napkins will be pre-packaged

- Apples will be wrapped

- Desserts will remain in the same display but individually wrapped

- More frequent cleaning of touchscreens on beverage machines

Other important information:Onboard: We will no longer refill beverages in any cabin.

- As part of that change, beginning on March 16th, we are removing all glassware from Premium Cabins and replacing it with plastic or paper cups.

- Beginning March 10 we temporarily suspended Hot Towel Service in all cabins.

- Food for purchase will still be available

- Avocado Toast and Guacamole Action Stations will still be offered, as the portions are individually made by servers using gloves

AA is reported to be making an interim move to offering pre-packaged foods, disposable “glassware” in an effort to reduce risks to their flying public.

Print Wikipost

Interim Lounge Closures, Service Reductions, Club & Flagship (Coronavirus)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:25 pm

Could someone fill me in on the lounge options if traveling LHR-LAX in First? I called the AA Platinum number and the agent said "none." That didn't seem right and the wiki says with Flagship closed go to the Admiral Club. Is that the only/best choice? I'd have thought AA would have cut a deal with BA or something.

I've got the standard assortment of Priority Pass, Amex Plat etc. If anyone has a suggestion I'd be most grateful.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by sbedelman
Could someone fill me in on the lounge options if traveling LHR-LAX in First? I called the AA Platinum number and the agent said "none." That didn't seem right and the wiki says with Flagship closed go to the Admiral Club. Is that the only/best choice? I'd have thought AA would have cut a deal with BA or something.

I've got the standard assortment of Priority Pass, Amex Plat etc. If anyone has a suggestion I'd be most grateful.
AC is all that's open and the LAX food offerings have lagged behind other clubs (see the other threads on ACs). Centurion is the better bet if it's fully open by the time you fly (assuming Flagship lounges don't reopen any time soon)... currently it offers only mediocre grab and go, and it closes at 3.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:28 pm

I assume you are talking about at LAX. What about at LHR?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:06 pm

I assume you are talking about at LAX. What about at LHR?
Suggest you check with BA for the latest on T5 lounge access with an AA flight. BA appears to have consolidated to Galleries South. You should have access to the First wing there (via Oneworld), and possibly even the Concorde Terrace (substitute for the closed Concorde Room) -- see here, here, and here (reports that AA Flagship F, and CK, both now qualify for Concorde).

Additionally, a Priority Pass lounge in T5 is scheduled to reopen May 17, 2021.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:39 pm

Those are great links. Thanks so much.

BTW AA, bless their hearts, stridently denies that either CK or passenger flying F out of LHR have access to any BA lounge at LHR (let alone the Concorde Terrace/Concorde Room).

Last edited by sbedelman; Mar 18, 2021 at 10:07 pm
Old Mar 19, 2021, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Those are great links. Thanks so much.

BTW AA, bless their hearts, stridently denies that either CK or passenger flying F out of LHR have access to any BA lounge at LHR (let alone the Concorde Terrace/Concorde Room).
That's just beyond "goofy". AA flyers always have access to BA lounges if flying F, due to OW rules.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 8:20 pm

I know. But I spent almost an hour on the phone with a supervisor who read from their online manual which she said states there was no access to BA in LHR. The agent stated that one of her jobs is training and that if it isn't in the manual, then there is no access.

When I asked what lounge an F passenger would be directed to at check in at LHR she said "none." When I pointed out that I had seen a posting that AA had tweeted in response to a customer enquiry that F and CK were being told to use the CCR she said that was not correct and repeated that passenger traveling in F on AA have no access to any BA Lounge. So per two agents on separate calls both to the Platinum desk (for what that's worth) that is AA's position

If we are eligible to use the BA Lounge we'll go, but I'd very much like to avoid the embarrassment of our group (all of whom are traveling in F to LAX) being turned away.

Anyone who has recently departed LHR on AA in F I'd be very grateful if you could post whether you were admitted to one of the BA Lounges and if so whether they allowed you the use of the Terrace since the CCR is closed.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 8:45 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
To add another layer of oddity to this, this is AA's page on their move into Terminal 5 at Heathrow. It mentions that Flagship First can check in at the First Wing (which leads directly into the BA First lounge after security) and that Flagship First can use the BA arrivals lounge, but the First Lounge entry only says Executive Platinum!
Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:42 pm

Written confirmation that AA passengers can use the BA lounges. Perhaps this will force the agents to make the effort to figure out which passengers can use which lounges.

Thank you.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 4:37 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Written confirmation that AA passengers can use the BA lounges. Perhaps this will force the agents to make the effort to figure out which passengers can use which lounges.

Thank you.
From https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=LHR

British Airways Galleries South Club, First Lounge and Concorde Terrace (Open)

(LHR) Heathrow Airport Terminal 5

Access

• Business Class
  • First Class
  • Sapphire Tier
  • Emerald Tier
"Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available."
Old Mar 21, 2021, 5:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Anyone who has recently departed LHR on AA in F I'd be very grateful if you could post whether you were admitted to one of the BA Lounges and if so whether they allowed you the use of the Terrace since the CCR is closed.
If you are familiar with the BA forum, you will know that the joke is that I am ordinarily resident in the Concorde Room for tax purposes. I can assure you 101% that AA First passengers and Concierge Key are very much welcome in the Concorde Terrace (CCT) and at certain times of the day represent the majority of people there. This is first hand experience, to be as clear as I can about this. There is no if or but about it, just sail in. If you are AA First or CK, go straight to the First Wing, at the southern end of the building, there are at least 2 AA check-in staff there, and then you can go straight to security, into the First Lounge and then on to CCT. Having said that, the First lounge has nearly identical food and beverage service, served at your seat via a local website (so make sure your phone is charged up), CCT just has a more personal level of service which means you don't need to use that website. So the provision is nearly identical between the two lounges, the First lounge is much bigger. The AA check-in agents in the First Wing certainly won't be sending you anywhere else, locally there is no issue or problem with this.

I can easily see why the manual is wrong, for years and years people in T3 - including AA passengers - have tried to get access to the CCR over in T5 for various reasons and it's just not allowed. So the manual was right to be firm on that point, but things rapidly changed last year. There are rumours that the airport wants AA to go back to T3 but I think that isn't going to happen in the next year.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I know. But I spent almost an hour on the phone with a supervisor who read from their online manual which she said states there was no access to BA in LHR. The agent stated that one of her jobs is training and that if it isn't in the manual, then there is no access.

When I asked what lounge an F passenger would be directed to at check in at LHR she said "none." When I pointed out that I had seen a posting that AA had tweeted in response to a customer enquiry that F and CK were being told to use the CCR she said that was not correct and repeated that passenger traveling in F on AA have no access to any BA Lounge. So per two agents on separate calls both to the Platinum desk (for what that's worth) that is AA's position.
Even in pre-covid times a normal run-of-the-mill reservations agent (and even their supervisors) are not going to have a clue about the latest AA lounge access policies, so I'm sorry you wasted an hour on the phone while they tried to figure out something they're not trained on only to get bad answers.

And of course there's no such thing as a PLT desk, only a different number that puts you ahead in the queue. Heck, even most EXP agents would have no idea about this kind of stuff.

As mentioned above, you will have no problem accessing BA lounges in T5 with an F ticket on AA.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 6:30 pm

Thanks so much for your post. The information, especially that First Lounge and CCT aren't much different, is very much appreciated.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 4:58 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
With the renewed closures in CA.... is the LAX Admirals Club open? Is food (especially in AM) still available?
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
With the renewed closures in CA.... is the LAX Admirals Club open? Is food (especially in AM) still available?
Yes LAX is open, see a few posts up in this thread for some recent updates.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post33509347

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.