Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Interim Lounge Closures, Service Reductions, Club & Flagship (Coronavirus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Due to the large reductions in passenger loads due to novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 and the COVID-19 disease it causes. and subsequent drop in lounge users, American Airlines has announced service curtailments and reductions at some AA lounges.

MOST Admirals Clubs and lounges will be shut down. All food, beverage and shower services will be closed down. Link

See post #70 for the temporary closure and which services remain.

See post #46 for list of changes 19 March 2020.

Major Admiral’s Club, catering, and premium cabin changes coming due to the #coronavirus:

CLOSURES for the interim (Admirals Club unless other specified)
  • MIA Miami D15 (D30 remains open)
  • PHX Phoenix A20 club is closed (the other two locations remain open)
  • JFK New York JFK (use the Flagship lounge)
  • LAX T5 (T4 remains open)
  • DFW Dallas Fort Worth E (A, B, C, and D remain open)
  • ORD Chicago O’Hare G and L (H/K remains open)
  • CDG Paris
  • GIG Rio de Janeiro
  • GRU Sao Paulo
  • EZE Buenos Aires
  • LHR London Heathrow Flagship lounge (Admirals Club has reduced hours
Some Clubs have altered schedules. Food services have changed. In a few, alcohol is no longer served. In some you must exit the lounge to eat what you have picked up or purchased (so the lounge won’t be treated as a restaurant).

We’re changing procedures in our Admirals Club and Flagship Lounges to provide even more peace of mind for customers. Effective Monday, March 16, American will replace buffet-style food with individually portioned, covered food items and will shift most self-service beverages to individual portions such as milk cartons or bartender/wait staff service. The safety of our customers and guests is our top priority.

In Flagship Lounges, we’ll replace buffet-style food with individually portioned, covered food items

- This includes both hot and cold breakfast and all-day options

- Milk carafes will be replaced with individual cartons in beverage fridges and other beverage dispensers (water, tea, etc.) will be moved behind the bar

In Admirals Clubs, breakfast and all-day set up will be displayed on trays, either pre-packaged or individually wrapped

- This includes both hot and cold breakfast and all-day options Pre-packaged Quaker oatmeal with hot water available

-Soup will no longer be served

-Milk carafes will be replaced with individual cartons in ice bath or frost top and other beverage dispensers (water, tea, juice, etc.) will be moved behind the bar

Other changes:

- Bulk condiments will be replaced with portion-controlled packets

- Snack dispensers will be replaced with individually wrapped or pre-packaged snacks

- Cutlery and napkins will be pre-packaged

- Apples will be wrapped

- Desserts will remain in the same display but individually wrapped

- More frequent cleaning of touchscreens on beverage machines

Other important information:Onboard: We will no longer refill beverages in any cabin.

- As part of that change, beginning on March 16th, we are removing all glassware from Premium Cabins and replacing it with plastic or paper cups.

- Beginning March 10 we temporarily suspended Hot Towel Service in all cabins.

- Food for purchase will still be available

- Avocado Toast and Guacamole Action Stations will still be offered, as the portions are individually made by servers using gloves

AA is reported to be making an interim move to offering pre-packaged foods, disposable “glassware” in an effort to reduce risks to their flying public.

Print Wikipost

Interim Lounge Closures, Service Reductions, Club & Flagship (Coronavirus)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I don’t understand the no alcohol rule....if NYC now allows you to order drinks to go from restaurants shouldnt you be able to get drinks to go from the club if it’s considered a restaurant?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:30 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I don’t understand the no alcohol rule....if NYC now allows you to order drinks to go from restaurants shouldnt you be able to get drinks to go from the club if it’s considered a restaurant?
Alcohol is expensive.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
As long as there's booze inflight. MIA is a big drinking city. I see groups of people in the AC at 6AM guzzling down the stuff. It's going to be a real shocker to some.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
so can you bring mini's and just ask for tonic or soda and a lime of course? (mini's less than 100ml)
but seriously , this event that we are going thru , its rough, hopefully we all come out of it well
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Alcohol is expensive.
Cost does not seem to be the reason, but rather local government mandates per the link.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Surely it's only a matter of time until all the lounges close on the basis that pretty much no-one is flying. I suspect the majority of people traveling now are just those at the tail-end of re-positioning to "home", as in a place to isolate, and we'll see air travel drop to virtually zero within a couple of weeks.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Alcohol is expensive.
It's really not. I can't imagine a glass of house wine costs AA much more than the individual self-serve milk carton, for example.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by chrisny2
It's really not. I can't imagine a glass of house wine costs AA much more than the individual self-serve milk carton, for example.
Well the alcohol I want to put in my body is expensive---and usually costs extra at the Admirals Club. Sorry not to be clear.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Well the alcohol I want to put in my body is expensive---and usually costs extra at the Admirals Club. Sorry not to be clear.
Oh if you're talking about the alcohol you have to pay for, I'm sure AA would be more than happy to keep serving that if they legally could. It's almost pure profit for them.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
In many states alcohol must be consumed on the premises and cannot be taken outside. Since some states now say you cannot consume food or drink on premises, then by default they cannot give out alcohol.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Uzzar
In many states alcohol must be consumed on the premises and cannot be taken outside. Since some states now say you cannot consume food or drink on premises, then by default they cannot give out alcohol.
Some emergency health regulations that closed pubs, bars, restaurants, etc. exempted airports, most probably didn’t.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:34 am
Suspended

Admiral Clubs Being Shut Down Starting Tomorrow

I've been told by AC staff that starting tomorrow all ACs will shut down with the exception of a desk to take care of ticketing issues. Quite sad and from I gather the employees will go on furlough. Don't think this has been formally announced.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I've been told by AC staff that starting tomorrow all ACs will shut down with the exception of a desk to take care of ticketing issues. Quite sad and from I gather the employees will go on furlough. Don't think this has been formally announced.
My Citi Aadvantage Executive card is up for renewal next month. I wonder if it's worth paying hardball with them on getting a break on the AF.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was briefly in the AC PHX last night. There's really not much point anymore with the ban on in-club food and beverage consumption.

The whole flying experience at this point is just surreal and I don't care to repeat it soon.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:31 am
Suspended

Very sad. Employees for now are getting a paycheck but I don't see that lasting, even with a bailout. 75% of the board today was in red today. We've gone from "ladies and gentlemen this will be a completely full flight" to 738s with 5 paxs almost overnight. I wonder how much longer this can go on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.