Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Interim Lounge Closures, Service Reductions, Club & Flagship (Coronavirus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Due to the large reductions in passenger loads due to novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 and the COVID-19 disease it causes. and subsequent drop in lounge users, American Airlines has announced service curtailments and reductions at some AA lounges.

MOST Admirals Clubs and lounges will be shut down. All food, beverage and shower services will be closed down. Link

See post #70 for the temporary closure and which services remain.

See post #46 for list of changes 19 March 2020.

Major Admiral’s Club, catering, and premium cabin changes coming due to the #coronavirus:

CLOSURES for the interim (Admirals Club unless other specified)
  • MIA Miami D15 (D30 remains open)
  • PHX Phoenix A20 club is closed (the other two locations remain open)
  • JFK New York JFK (use the Flagship lounge)
  • LAX T5 (T4 remains open)
  • DFW Dallas Fort Worth E (A, B, C, and D remain open)
  • ORD Chicago O’Hare G and L (H/K remains open)
  • CDG Paris
  • GIG Rio de Janeiro
  • GRU Sao Paulo
  • EZE Buenos Aires
  • LHR London Heathrow Flagship lounge (Admirals Club has reduced hours
Some Clubs have altered schedules. Food services have changed. In a few, alcohol is no longer served. In some you must exit the lounge to eat what you have picked up or purchased (so the lounge won’t be treated as a restaurant).

We’re changing procedures in our Admirals Club and Flagship Lounges to provide even more peace of mind for customers. Effective Monday, March 16, American will replace buffet-style food with individually portioned, covered food items and will shift most self-service beverages to individual portions such as milk cartons or bartender/wait staff service. The safety of our customers and guests is our top priority.

In Flagship Lounges, we’ll replace buffet-style food with individually portioned, covered food items

- This includes both hot and cold breakfast and all-day options

- Milk carafes will be replaced with individual cartons in beverage fridges and other beverage dispensers (water, tea, etc.) will be moved behind the bar

In Admirals Clubs, breakfast and all-day set up will be displayed on trays, either pre-packaged or individually wrapped

- This includes both hot and cold breakfast and all-day options Pre-packaged Quaker oatmeal with hot water available

-Soup will no longer be served

-Milk carafes will be replaced with individual cartons in ice bath or frost top and other beverage dispensers (water, tea, juice, etc.) will be moved behind the bar

Other changes:

- Bulk condiments will be replaced with portion-controlled packets

- Snack dispensers will be replaced with individually wrapped or pre-packaged snacks

- Cutlery and napkins will be pre-packaged

- Apples will be wrapped

- Desserts will remain in the same display but individually wrapped

- More frequent cleaning of touchscreens on beverage machines

Other important information:Onboard: We will no longer refill beverages in any cabin.

- As part of that change, beginning on March 16th, we are removing all glassware from Premium Cabins and replacing it with plastic or paper cups.

- Beginning March 10 we temporarily suspended Hot Towel Service in all cabins.

- Food for purchase will still be available

- Avocado Toast and Guacamole Action Stations will still be offered, as the portions are individually made by servers using gloves

AA is reported to be making an interim move to offering pre-packaged foods, disposable “glassware” in an effort to reduce risks to their flying public.

Print Wikipost

Interim Lounge Closures, Service Reductions, Club & Flagship (Coronavirus)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
AA just parked an S load of heavies at Tulsa. You think they care about one of their AC member who couldn't get their mac and cheese now?
Well for those of us with Citi Executive cards it's absolutely worth a call. Especially as they recently raised the annual fee.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by CMK10
Well for those of us with Citi Executive cards it's absolutely worth a call. Especially as they recently raised the annual fee.

I have one too and I'm not calling. Nor am I flying. If someone wants to complain about 1 or 2 months not being able to access the tomato bisque then so be it.

Of all the things that could be important to me right now this doesn't even register as remotely important.

YMMV.
chrisny2 and asnovici like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
I have one too and I'm not calling. Nor am I flying. If someone wants to complain about 1 or 2 months not being able to access the tomato bisque then so be it.

Of all the things that could be important to me right now this doesn't even register as remotely important.

YMMV.
Saving money isn't important to you? I run my own business so revenue is down during this time. Therefore, I will make the call to decrease costs.
Chad073 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Saving money isn't important to you? I run my own business so revenue is down during this time. Therefore, I will make the call to decrease costs.
Of course it is. I'm just saying I'm in no rush to call AA. When things settle down I'll inquire about crediting $39.50 for every month they were closed.
chrisny2, GTITAN and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:57 pm

I called to cancel mine last night after receive the closure email. Fortunately, my card was up for renewal so closure was easy. The very nice Citi agents were surprised by the closure news and weren't empowered to offer an extension or anything.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by JetAway
I called to cancel mine last night after receive the closure email. Fortunately, my card was up for renewal so closure was easy. The very nice Citi agents were surprised by the closure news and weren't empowered to offer an extension or anything.
My card is up for renewal in early June. I will wait this out and just accept the fact that I didn't get any value out of it for a couple months. But if things aren't back to normal by the end of May, I will definitely call and cancel unless they are willing to wait to charge me my annual fee until everything is back up and running.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Just confirming: the AC that remain “open” provide only entry door service counter assistance—it’s not possible to sit in any of the lounges.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Just confirming: the AC that remain “open” provide only entry door service counter assistance—it’s not possible to sit in any of the lounges.

I think that’s what they’re saying. “Team members working at the locations below will be available to offer travel assistance. To reduce large gatherings, lounge services — including all food and beverage offerings, restrooms and shower facilities — will be temporarily suspended.”
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
How silly/cheap of AA.....it’s not like the lounges would be crowded these days....just look at the DL forum and the pics from their clubs in the hubs....all empty but they’re still open with bar service and packaged food.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
How silly/cheap of AA.....it’s not like the lounges would be crowded these days....just look at the DL forum and the pics from their clubs in the hubs....all empty but they’re still open with bar service and packaged food.
I'm actually surprised they are allowed to be open in many of the airports given the states have ordered "bars" to be closed..

From https://www.delta.com/us/en/coronavi...skyclub-update this morning:

Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That is definitely the case. You can go to the counter, talk to the agents, and leave. That is it. You can't enter the seating area or use the toilets. On the first day of this arrangement I took the lift to the Reagan lounge in C, doors open, there were 6 agents all watching me, the one in the middle explained that unfortunately it was counter help only.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That is definitely the case. You can go to the counter, talk to the agents, and leave. That is it. You can't enter the seating area or use the toilets. On the first day of this arrangement I took the lift to the Reagan lounge in C, doors open, there were 6 agents all watching me, the one in the middle explained that unfortunately it was counter help only.
That sounds positively eerie!
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:19 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Anyone know why then they're even bothering to keep these open?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I've been thinking this same thing. With LFs as low as they are, I would think AC members needing agent assistance would have no problem finding a gate agent in the terminal with plenty of time on their hands.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
From what the MIA staff told me (they clued me in to what was coming) the staff will still be paid. So I assume they need to have something for the staff to do. Also I was told staff would help with some of the deep cleaning some of the clubs need.
AANYC1981 and Gino Troian like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.