Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Interim Lounge Closures, Service Reductions, Club & Flagship (Coronavirus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Due to the large reductions in passenger loads due to novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 and the COVID-19 disease it causes. and subsequent drop in lounge users, American Airlines has announced service curtailments and reductions at some AA lounges.

MOST Admirals Clubs and lounges will be shut down. All food, beverage and shower services will be closed down. Link

See post #70 for the temporary closure and which services remain.

See post #46 for list of changes 19 March 2020.

Major Admiral’s Club, catering, and premium cabin changes coming due to the #coronavirus:

CLOSURES for the interim (Admirals Club unless other specified)
  • MIA Miami D15 (D30 remains open)
  • PHX Phoenix A20 club is closed (the other two locations remain open)
  • JFK New York JFK (use the Flagship lounge)
  • LAX T5 (T4 remains open)
  • DFW Dallas Fort Worth E (A, B, C, and D remain open)
  • ORD Chicago O’Hare G and L (H/K remains open)
  • CDG Paris
  • GIG Rio de Janeiro
  • GRU Sao Paulo
  • EZE Buenos Aires
  • LHR London Heathrow Flagship lounge (Admirals Club has reduced hours
Some Clubs have altered schedules. Food services have changed. In a few, alcohol is no longer served. In some you must exit the lounge to eat what you have picked up or purchased (so the lounge won’t be treated as a restaurant).

We’re changing procedures in our Admirals Club and Flagship Lounges to provide even more peace of mind for customers. Effective Monday, March 16, American will replace buffet-style food with individually portioned, covered food items and will shift most self-service beverages to individual portions such as milk cartons or bartender/wait staff service. The safety of our customers and guests is our top priority.

In Flagship Lounges, we’ll replace buffet-style food with individually portioned, covered food items

- This includes both hot and cold breakfast and all-day options

- Milk carafes will be replaced with individual cartons in beverage fridges and other beverage dispensers (water, tea, etc.) will be moved behind the bar

In Admirals Clubs, breakfast and all-day set up will be displayed on trays, either pre-packaged or individually wrapped

- This includes both hot and cold breakfast and all-day options Pre-packaged Quaker oatmeal with hot water available

-Soup will no longer be served

-Milk carafes will be replaced with individual cartons in ice bath or frost top and other beverage dispensers (water, tea, juice, etc.) will be moved behind the bar

Other changes:

- Bulk condiments will be replaced with portion-controlled packets

- Snack dispensers will be replaced with individually wrapped or pre-packaged snacks

- Cutlery and napkins will be pre-packaged

- Apples will be wrapped

- Desserts will remain in the same display but individually wrapped

- More frequent cleaning of touchscreens on beverage machines

Other important information:Onboard: We will no longer refill beverages in any cabin.

- As part of that change, beginning on March 16th, we are removing all glassware from Premium Cabins and replacing it with plastic or paper cups.

- Beginning March 10 we temporarily suspended Hot Towel Service in all cabins.

- Food for purchase will still be available

- Avocado Toast and Guacamole Action Stations will still be offered, as the portions are individually made by servers using gloves

AA is reported to be making an interim move to offering pre-packaged foods, disposable “glassware” in an effort to reduce risks to their flying public.

Print Wikipost

Interim Lounge Closures, Service Reductions, Club & Flagship (Coronavirus)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I've been told by AC staff that starting tomorrow all ACs will shut down with the exception of a desk to take care of ticketing issues. Quite sad and from I gather the employees will go on furlough. Don't think this has been formally announced.
I've been to two ACs today (CLT and ATL) and talked to staff at each one and neither confirmed this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by CMK10
I've been to two ACs today (CLT and ATL) and talked to staff at each one and neither confirmed this.
So I was then told by staff the decision was reversed. Like I said it was not confirmed. However, I would expect further reduction in hours. Either way I'm happy to hear this.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:13 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Very sad. Employees for now are getting a paycheck but I don't see that lasting, even with a bailout.
What's also sad is, let's not forget that only the premium service agents at the desk are AA employees, with everyone else working at the ACs outsourced. Undoubtedly, they will be hit pretty hard with reduced hours or club closures, and will not be the beneficiaries of any bailout for the airlines.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
My personal opinion - it's not sensible to keep airport clubs open (I am not an AC member but I do have an Amex Plat card so I use the Centurion Lounge) with traffic down dramatically and them being inherently dangerous places. I think the most sensible political reaction is that the #2 priority (#1 should be making health care resources available) should be dramatically enhanced unemployment benefits. As for people who have paid for a membership they can't use for a while, grin and bear it. You are probably in the group that can work from home and should be profoundly grateful for that.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by redtop43
My personal opinion - it's not sensible to keep airport clubs open (I am not an AC member but I do have an Amex Plat card so I use the Centurion Lounge) with traffic down dramatically and them being inherently dangerous places. I think the most sensible political reaction is that the #2 priority (#1 should be making health care resources available) should be dramatically enhanced unemployment benefits. As for people who have paid for a membership they can't use for a while, grin and bear it. You are probably in the group that can work from home and should be profoundly grateful for that.
Lounges aren't inherently dangerous places. And if it's actually about social distancing the lounges are empty and people are far apart from each other. Closed lounges means more people closer together at gates.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Lounges aren't inherently dangerous places. And if it's actually about social distancing the lounges are empty and people are far apart from each other. Closed lounges means more people closer together at gates.
In regards to spreading the virus, the issue with the lounges is the food and drink stations, IMO.
IF you take that away, then what's the point of the lounge?

When flying domestic (no lounge for me) I find it very easy to find an adjacent gate where there is nobody, while everybody is congregating around the GA station tapping their feet or staring.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:47 pm

When I left the CLT AC at 4 PM I asked the agents working if they had heard about any closures and both ones I talked to said no one had said anything to them.
aztimm likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I don't want to take this off topic. Needless to say avoiding human contact in a modern society is tough. Grocery stores are mad houses but you need to eat and buy toilet paper. There's enough space likely in the ACs that you can be at arm's length. Like everything else you should do thinks within the level of risk you are in. Airports are going to be hard places to keep people apart from TSA screening to the actual a/c. I sat in the MIA D30 club today and was always at arm's length from most people. BTW the reps have ropes around them so flyers do not get so close.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Admirals Club lounges (most closed)— link

American will temporarily close most Admirals Club lounges, but will maintain front desk customer service at large U.S. airports and at London’s Heathrow Airport. These changes go into effect beginning Thursday, March 26.

Team members working at the locations below will be available to offer travel assistance. To reduce large gatherings, lounge services — including all food and beverage offerings, restrooms and shower facilities — will be temporarily suspended.

Charlotte, North Carolina (CLT), Concourse C

Chicago (ORD), Concourse H/K

Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW), Terminals A, C and D

London Heathrow (LHR), Terminal 3

Los Angeles (LAX), Terminal 4

Miami (MIA), Gate D30

New York (JFK), Gate 12 (Flagship Lounge with temporary Admirals Club service)

New York (LGA), Concourse D

Philadelphia (PHL), Terminal B/C

Phoenix (PHX), Gate A7 and Gate A19

Washington (DCA), Terminal C

"American is committed to caring for customers through these unprecedented times. Customer and team member wellbeing is foremost in our minds," said Kurt Stache, Senior Vice President of Customer Experience. "As the travel mandates abate and the COVID-19 crisis subsides, we will explore how to manage annual membership benefits for impacted customers — including for those with a membership through the Citi / AAdvantage Executive card. We look forward to welcoming back our loyal members soon."

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 24, 2020 at 7:12 pm
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:57 pm

Programs: NZ*G, AA CK
AA Lounge Team

I've met some great team members, especially bar staff, at various lounges (especially LA T4), hope we can all meet again soon..........

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...O||AC_Closures
chrisny2 and yankeezulu like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
How will members be compensated? Those of us that pay the AF on the Exec MC solely for lounge access?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by diver858
How will members be compensated? Those of us that pay the AF on the Exec MC solely for lounge access?
I was wondering the same thing. I buy an annual membership instead of the credit card. I'd be fine with AA extending my membership by one day for each day the clubs are closed.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Yes, just having paid my $450 fee for my AA Ex MC essentially for lounge access seems like a really bad idea at the moment.

Safe Travels
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by diver858
"As the travel mandates abate and the COVID-19 crisis subsides, we will explore how to manage annual membership benefits for impacted customers — including for those with a membership through the Citi / AAdvantage Executive card. We look forward to welcoming back our loyal members soon." (emphasis added)

They haven't announced it yet, but it's at least on their minds.
dw, GTITAN, AAway and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
AA just parked an S load of heavies at Tulsa. You think they care about one of their AC member who couldn't get their mac and cheese now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.