Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is about AA policies and related issues pertaining to COVID-19 aka “Wuhan 2019-nCoV” Coronavirus outbreak.

NOTE: Current AA Travel Advisory covers (others may yet come):
China
Hong Kong SAR
Italy
South Korea

Link to AA travel alerts

Based on the U.S. Department of State’s recent increase of the China Travel Advisory to a Level 4 (Do Not Travel), American is suspending its operations to and from the Chinese mainland and Hong Kong ... Teams are contacting affected customers directly to accommodate their needs. AA will continue to evaluate the schedule to make any adjustments as necessary.

AA has extended cancellations as follows as of Friday, February 14:

Flights between DFW and LAX and PEK (Beijing) and PVG (Shanghai Pudong) are suspended through April 24.

Flights between DFW and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 23.

Flights between LAX and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 24.

Link

IATA Timatic listing of global restrictions for airbpassengers who have been in China or transited China...

“CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK IN CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) - UPDATE 02.02.2020
28 January 2020In connection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) outbreak in China (People's Rep.), the following changes have been published in Timatic (02.02.2020):
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm”

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:30 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by pbd456
ICN TYO should be no problem
Yeah but not as helpful, not looking to go there. SIN would be useful as an alternative, but TYO/ICN are worse than HKG.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
Well I just got the email with the official notification of flight cancellation. Guess now AA will finally rebook me when I ask. I wonder if they'd let me change the destination to SIN for no fee instead of HKG but I doubt it.
same here, got an email from AA Alert saying that AA flights to HKG has been cancelled until 20 Feb. However, my flight on 16 Feb is still showing as "on time"..... I was on the phone with another agent at AA yesterday and they said since it still shows "on time", there is nothing they can do...
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:04 pm

Cancel your trip and request a refund

You can cancel and get a refund for the segments of your trip you haven’t flown if:
  • Your ticket was issued by American Airlines
  • You bought your ticket by January 28, 2020
  • You're scheduled to travel January 28 - March 31, 2020
  • You cancel your trip before your outbound flight departs
AA added the option of canceling your trip under the HKG travel alert. Surprisingly, I don’t see it for PEK or PVG.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by AndyAA
AA added the option of canceling your trip under the HKG travel alert. Surprisingly, I don’t see it for PEK or PVG.
It took 3h 25m to re-arrange my itinerary. Instead of flying LAX-HKG (AA) then HKG-CEB (CX), I’m now flying LAX-NRT (JL), NRT-MNL (JL), MNL-CEB (PR), and the agent was able to move my SWU from the LAX-HKG to LAX-NRT so now I’m in F on the JL 77W.

The biggest issue during the re-issue was that the agent needed to call the rate desk and a few other help desks as CX did not update their waiver accordingly, so when she would make a change, it would keep on error-ing out.

She did let me know that according to new policy, each time the waiver is updated, one can make another change to the itinerary.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by AndyAA
Thanks for the heads up. I have been waiting for this option, and it was not there this afternoon.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It appears DFW-HKG and LAX-HKG are cancelled through 23 February. Check your itineraries.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Called to cancel and refund my HKG-LAX RT this evening. Reservation agent apologized, I commented to the effect "no need to apologize, I'm sure you guys would rather be flying it than canceling it." She mentioned that quite a few callers have been really angry about the cancellations.
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 11:18 pm

Programs: VA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Called to cancel and refund my HKG-LAX RT this evening. Reservation agent apologized, I commented to the effect "no need to apologize, I'm sure you guys would rather be flying it than canceling it." She mentioned that quite a few callers have been really angry about the cancellations.
Idiots who aren't in touch with reality. Would hate to be an agent on the phones at the moment.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
AA rebooked me on CX J from AA Y → J SWU, but put me on an AA flight number. what does this mean in terms of EQM / EQD / RDM earn. i’ll still earn the latter 2 based on $ I imagine (i.e. earn nothing), and the former based on distance w/ 1x multiple? perhaps I should credit somewhere else?

Also, now that it's on CX as a non-upgraded fare, can I use AsiaMiles to bump up to F or would the AA # on the flight cause issues.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by fgirard
It took 3h 25m to re-arrange my itinerary. Instead of flying LAX-HKG (AA) then HKG-CEB (CX), I’m now flying LAX-NRT (JL), NRT-MNL (JL), MNL-CEB (PR), and the agent was able to move my SWU from the LAX-HKG to LAX-NRT so now I’m in F on the JL 77W.

The biggest issue during the re-issue was that the agent needed to call the rate desk and a few other help desks as CX did not update their waiver accordingly, so when she would make a change, it would keep on error-ing out.

She did let me know that according to new policy, each time the waiver is updated, one can make another change to the itinerary.
That's good info to know re: the one change per waiver update. It makes sense as the situation is fluid.

It's also good to hear that people on mixed itineraries are getting rebooked to their final destination, especially on non-Oneworld carriers. These can be really complicated changes so if you get a phone agent who is especially good, please consider sending AA an note commending them.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:20 am

Booked a J Class Web Special HKG-LAX for 50,000 miles.

Flight cancelled by American.

Called and rebooked ob CX HKG-LAX in J.

Now that's a bargain!
JDiver, oopl and D3Kingg like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Domerhoo
Booked a J Class Web Special HKG-LAX for 50,000 miles.

Flight cancelled by American.

Called and rebooked ob CX HKG-LAX in J.

Now that's a bargain!
That's some solid cs.

These cancels will at least fill some more seats TPAC for CX, which could really use the business right now.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's some solid cs.

These cancels will at least fill some more seats TPAC for CX, which could really use the business right now.
Def a win-win for both AA and CX.

CX should really make deals with all airlines who fly to HK to have them cancel their flights and rebook their pax on CX
JDiver and D3Kingg like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by helvetic
AA rebooked me on CX J from AA Y → J SWU, but put me on an AA flight number. what does this mean in terms of EQM / EQD / RDM earn. i’ll still earn the latter 2 based on $ I imagine (i.e. earn nothing), and the former based on distance w/ 1x multiple? perhaps I should credit somewhere else?

Also, now that it's on CX as a non-upgraded fare, can I use AsiaMiles to bump up to F or would the AA # on the flight cause issues.
You will earn as if flying AA on an AA marketed flight operated by CX. If it’s a fare code used for paid Business, you’ll earn as if flying that fare code on AA.

I doubt you’ll be able to upgrade an AA marketed flight with Asia Miles, but that’s really a question for the Cathay forum.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:44 am

Okay, the supposedly cancelled HKG-LAX itinerary I called to refund is still showing as live nine hours later. No email received. Do I need to call AA again?

ETA: Called again, and it turns out the agent last night simply failed to do anything at all. Itinerary now cancelled and refund requested.

Last edited by Kacee; Feb 5, 2020 at 5:06 pm Reason: update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.