Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
from https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...s/gulf-air.jsp , the last date to book is listed as 30 April , so that shouldn't be the issue

Whether AA has availability for awards on GF is another matter - you could try another AA office and see if it can see availability
I have called the standard US number multiple times with no luck. Perhaps I'll try the Australian number.. .maybe it's an issue like Etihad

​​​​​​
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Wiki
The particular carrier's Maximum Permitted Miles / MPM + 25% on a particular route. (The MPM by itself often exceeds the distance between the origin and destination airports because connections may be required.)

Or, the "most significant carrier" (e.g. DFW-SFO-HKG-BKK, CX SFO-HKG is the prevailing or most significant carrier) must publish a non-constructed fare between your origin and destination.

To price as a single award, AAdvantage requires the most significant carrier to publish a cash fare (non-constructed) between the origin and destination. Airline MSC would have to have a published fare from XXX to YYY that allows travel on all included airlines, and routing that you want. If the MSC only offers constructed fares between your desired origin and destination, AA will price this as two awards.
Regarding the above. I just booked HAN-HKG-JFK/LGA-PHL-SBY, with HKG-JFK on Cathay. This should make Cathay the MSC, right?

CX's website doesn't even publish SBY as an airport let alone use this routing - but I was able to price this as one award. What am I missing here?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by zhangg
Regarding the above. I just booked HAN-HKG-JFK/LGA-PHL-SBY, with HKG-JFK on Cathay. This should make Cathay the MSC, right?

CX's website doesn't even publish SBY as an airport let alone use this routing - but I was able to price this as one award. What am I missing here?
Could be one of two things:

1) There are thousands if not millions of valid published fares and routings out there that may not show up on a carrier's website for booking. You need to use a service like ExpertFlyer to see everything.

2) Even when it appears that there's no published fare on any given itinerary, or that the routing may not be allowed, there are TONS of instances we've seen where AA's computers will still ticket it as a single award. This is why it's imperative to always call AA first, rather than wasting time initially trying to see if there's a published fare for a partner award.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by zhangg

Has your ticket for that itinerary been issued yet? If so, congrats! If not, keep your eye on the booking until you get a ticket number.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Has your ticket for that itinerary been issued yet? If so, congrats! If not, keep your eye on the booking until you get a ticket number.
Yep - ticket issued and seats chosen on CX.com. Now considering changing my outbound segment to something out of SBY as well...

Originally Posted by JJeffery
2) Even when it appears that there's no published fare on any given itinerary, or that the routing may not be allowed, there are TONS of instances we've seen where AA's computers will still ticket it as a single award. This is why it's imperative to always call AA first, rather than wasting time initially trying to see if there's a published fare for a partner award.
Thanks - i will keep that in mind for the future.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Can the sticky clarify about the S7 part "S7 - S7 (and Globus - but excludes far eastern Russia / Siberia)" portion?

I'm assuming this is because it's pretty insane to assume you can go from LAX-[insert any number of connections in Russia]-VVO all under the US-Europe award rate even though the award rule states the whole of Russia falls under "Europe."

I do recall there was a cutoff point to where "Europe" in Russia ends on the old AA page, but can't find it on AA.com anymore. Anyone remember what that was?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:44 pm

I’m not sure if this is a constructed fare with the MSC rules. Will this routing and airlines price as one or two awards?

CX EWR-HKG
KA HKG-KUL
MH KUL-DPS
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by PP212
I’m not sure if this is a constructed fare with the MSC rules. Will this routing and airlines price as one or two awards?

CX EWR-HKG
KA HKG-KUL
MH KUL-DPS
Should be one award, I think CX publishes MPM fares and I can't imagine you would run afoul of going over that with that routing.

ETA - I checked EF and they only seem to have routing based fares for EWR-DPS allowing only a connection in HKG, so I would call AA to see.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Should be one award, I think CX publishes MPM fares and I can't imagine you would run afoul of going over that with that routing.

ETA - I checked EF and they only seem to have routing based fares for EWR-DPS allowing only a connection in HKG, so I would call AA to see.
Even with its Mileage based fares, most fare rules permit travel only on CX and KA , so would not be surprised if it required 2 awards unless change to EWR-HKG-DPS
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:46 am

I'm looking to book an award TLV-JFK that I think might not meet AA's MSC rules to ticket as one award because of EY not partnering with RJ (or serving TLV for that matter), but does anyone know for sure since I'm not sure I should trust what phone reps might say?

RJ TLV-AMM
EY AMM-AUH
EY AUH-JFK
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

EY has no fare for TLV-JFK and RJ's routing rules permit only TLV-AMM-JFK on RJ , so would doubt that this will be permitted as a single award
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I’m not saying this rule doesn’t exist, but the published fare rule has never been an impediment for me. I’ve posted here several times about examples i have booked that are clearly prohibited under this rule but were nonetheless ticketed without question. In particular, I’ve found it to be a non issue with some pretty interesting combinations of AA, CX and JL but I’ve also had it ignored for more obscure combinations.

Another case in point booked recently, 5 biz awards using AA overwater to LHR connecting to a DJ operated flight (City Flyer) out of LCY. Unable to replicate as a revenue ticket and relevant AA fares have no mention of DJ as a permitted carrier within Europe. I fed this segment by sebment to the agent and it priced immediately at 57.5k.

It’s worth trying a call before you ever give much thought to this rule.

Last edited by stephem; Apr 8, 2018 at 9:21 am
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:45 am

s it possible to book DFW-TYO-SYD on Japan Airlines using AA miles? I have 90K AA miles and I am seeing two seats available in J on JAL website and am curious if I can book a ticket thru AA?

I have 90K MR, so I was thinking about transferring to JAL and booking a single ticket and then hopefully booking the second ticket using my AA miles. Is this possible?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mbush1721
s it possible to book DFW-TYO-SYD on Japan Airlines using AA miles? I have 90K AA miles and I am seeing two seats available in J on JAL website and am curious if I can book a ticket thru AA?

I have 90K MR, so I was thinking about transferring to JAL and booking a single ticket and then hopefully booking the second ticket using my AA miles. Is this possible?
You can book it with AA miles but it will cost you 2 awards, as a US-South Pacific award cannot connect in any other region. So 60k for DFW-TYO plus 40k for TYO-SYD.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: AAMastercard, ChaseSouthwest
Help! Trying to do economy 30k travel from Chicago to Spain this summer. July 5th leave or a few days after and come back July 19 or a few days after. I was finding reward space a few days ago but now it’s gone. I could fly home to a different US city ( NYC, etc) but I’m having no luck. Need two seats.
any hacks in award booking I’m missing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.