Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 6:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
In that case, can Europe -> 48 states be routed thru Canada? Tried to book LHR-YUL-LGA last year and AAgent wasn't able to price it as Europe<->48 award either. Didn't pursue any further as my plans had changed.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
In that case, can Europe -> 48 states be routed thru Canada? Tried to book LHR-YUL-LGA last year and AAgent wasn't able to price it as Europe<->48 award either. Didn't pursue any further as my plans had changed.
Did it price as two separate awards? Or as one award at the Europe-Canada rate?
Old May 12, 2018, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Doubtful it's an MPM issue since all the routings are listed, and connecting via JFK isn't going out of the way at all. Did you try HUCA?
Quick update on this saga:

Talked to another agent who was willing to run this through the "tariff desk" (I told her outright that I have spoken to a couple of her colleagues, so she said she wasn't going to waste my time further and would escalate it directly with another desk). The computer priced out the previous awards as two separate awards were due to two reasons:
  • Routing rules as JJeffrey said -- for AMM-YVR, one is allowed to go via DOH only to JFK or DFW.
  • It exceeds allowable MPM
I asked that we try to construct an award via JFK, and it was initially quoted at 107.5k; but another call to tariff desk yielded to a manual readjustment of the price to 75k.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Loking at the routing rules for AMM-YVR on DOH , it does indicate it is a consructed fare rather than a published fare, so that can cause requirement for 2 awards

e.g. for AMM-JFK

AT01* /VIA THE ATLANTIC/ PUBLISHED RTG 2
1. AMM-DOH-NYC
2. AMM-QR/RJ-DOH-NYC

whilst for AMM-YVR it states

AT01* /VIA THE ATLANTIC/ CONSTRUCTED RTG
1. AMM-DOH-QR-DFW/NYC-AA/CX/US-YVR
2. AMM-QR/RJ-DOH-QR-DFW/NYC-AA/CX/US-YVR

It doesn't seem incorrect that the system is pricing as 2 awards
Old May 12, 2018, 9:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
Did it price as two separate awards? Or as one award at the Europe-Canada rate?
It was priced as Europe-Canada (62,500 miles in J) plus Canada-US (under 500 miles) (7,500 miles in Y) on a 19 hour connection instead of 57,500 J (US-Europe) covering all segments.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:06 am

Looking for creative routes from Tokyo to Vienna (avoiding LHR), but need insight into Asia 1 to Europe routing possibilities. Not in a hurry to get from A to B.

I've done some experimenting with ITA Matrix and can get most of the below itineraries to price out as a single fare. Unsure if that's related to what AA would be able to ticket though. Most of these routings transit Doha *or* Asia 2.

Which of the itineraries below would AA actually be able to ticket assuming award space was available?

Two segments:
TYO-DOH-VIE (QR-QR)
TYO-HEL-VIE (JL/AY-AY)
TYO-MAD-VIE (IB-IB)

Three segments:
TYO-HKG-MAD-VIE (JL/CX-CX-IB)
TYO-FRA/CDG-HEL/MAD-VIE (JL-AY/IB-AY/IB)
TYO-HKG/BKK/SIN-HEL-VIE (JL/CX-AY-AY)

Four segments:
TYO-HKG-SIN-HEL-VIE (JL/CX-CX-AY-AY)
TYO-HKG-CPH/DUB/AMS/DUS/FRA/CDG/ZRH/MXP/FCO/BCN-HEL/MAD-VIE (JL/CX-CX-AY/IB-AY/IB)

Definitely not ticket-able:
TYO-DOH-HEL-VIE (QR-QR-AY)
TYO-ICN-DOH-HEL-VIE (JL-QR-QR-AY)

Last edited by mster; May 19, 2018 at 7:44 pm
Old May 19, 2018, 5:12 am

None of the QR options will work, other than TYO-DOH-VIE. QR only permits TYO-DOH-VIE, even on its most expensive fare
Old May 19, 2018, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
None of the QR options will work, other than TYO-DOH-VIE. QR only permits TYO-DOH-VIE, even on its most expensive fare
You're right. Even DOH-MAD/HEL-VIE as a separate ticket won't work. Thanks.
Old May 21, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AA G, UA, HH G
Trying to help a friend book JFK-MAD-FCO award on Iberia. I see J Saver availability both on BA.com and on awardnexus.com, but it's not showing on AA.com to book. If he calls will they see these seats? Or if it's not showing on AA, it's not there? Thanks.

Edit: I am checking using QF as well BA, individually, on awardnexus

Last edited by isabeloh; May 21, 2018 at 10:21 am Reason: Clarification
Old May 21, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by isabeloh
Trying to help a friend book JFK-MAD-FCO award on Iberia. I see J Saver availability both on BA.com and on awardnexus.com, but it's not showing on AA.com to book. If he calls will they see these seats? Or if it's not showing on AA, it's not there? Thanks.

Is each leg available separately on aa.com? If so, put each leg on hold (do not purchase) using the multi-city award-booking engine, note the PNR, and then call AA to see if they will re-price the itinerary as a single award.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by isabeloh

Just call AA and feed them the flight's they should be able to make it work.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA G, UA, HH G
Originally Posted by guv1976
Is each leg available separately on aa.com? If so, put each leg on hold (do not purchase) using the multi-city award-booking engine, note the PNR, and then call AA to see if they will re-price the itinerary as a single award.
No, the Iberia JFK-MAD doesn't show up at all on AA.com - only MAD-FCO.

Mods, I apologize - just realized this probably should have gone to the Flying Iberia Wiki (I couldn't seem to pull it up on the search before I posted here).

Last edited by isabeloh; May 21, 2018 at 2:12 pm Reason: Wrong forum?
Old May 22, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Is this allowed on 1 award? SIN-HKG-PER? Does not exceed 24 hours, connecting in same region, both flights on CX? Afraid it might cross the MPM.
Old May 22, 2018, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by indo79
Is this allowed on 1 award? SIN-HKG-PER? Does not exceed 24 hours, connecting in same region, both flights on CX? Afraid it might cross the MPM.
CX does list SIN-HKG-PER as being a valid routing, so would expect it to be ok ; seems an awful detour though and may fall foul of other AA rules to do with directness of route
Old May 22, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
CX does list SIN-HKG-PER as being a valid routing, so would expect it to be ok ; seems an awful detour though and may fall foul of other AA rules to do with directness of route
Thanks! Unfortunately QF is not showing any availability for SIN-PER for 2 in C, yet CX is showing SIN-HKG-PER as available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.