Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
s I understand it: There’s no “secret rule”. You had a new award issued, requiring a redeposit of miles. The award was required to be reissued because you chose a new award with mixed cabins of service (Coach on your preferred flight) rather than use your less convenient Business award. The agent who allowed you to believe you could “voluntarily downgrade” your J award without redepositing the miles and issuing a new award and ticket appears to have been wrong; the second agent was wrong to tell you AA does not reveal rules to passengers.

Had you found Business award seating on the preferred flight segment rather than Coach, that would constitute a permissible award change, not a new award (required since there was no matching business seat award inventory on the new flight). You did not voluntarily downgrade AFAIK, as there was no Business award inventory on your preferred flight.

Alternatively, you might have purchased a mixed cabin Business award and waitlisted for the higher class of service if it had been available at booking. Many FTers have done just that.

You’re actually quite fortunate AA were able to fully reinstate your original award if they actually cancelled it for the new desired one.

The Rules are summarized in the thread we will merge this into, inthe Wikipost. /Moderator
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by kalia960
I am bemused that AA would have a secret rule that does not benefit either AA or the passenger.
I too am flabberghasted at this rule (deemed 'secret' in the context of information transferred to the OP, and not to be taken literally) where benefit to the airline is charged to the Pax.

Originally Posted by kalia960
If anyone can explain this rule in comprehensible language, I'd be very grateful.
I see nobody has yet.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:53 am

Indian Sub Continent/Middle East to/from Asia 1 can connect in Asia 2
Is Indian Sub/Middle East treated as 1 region for all purposes? Can I travel from Sri Lanka to Doha to Southeast Asia on a 40,000 business ticket?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flamenguista
Is Indian Sub/Middle East treated as 1 region for all purposes? Can I travel from Sri Lanka to Doha to Southeast Asia on a 40,000 business ticket?
India/Middle east are classed as one for routing purposes. If there is a fare that permts the routing, it should be ok
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
India/Middle east are classed as one for routing purposes. If there is a fare that permts the routing, it should be ok
Thanks. I'm not seeing any CMB-DOH-DPS fares on google flights, so I assume this isn't possible.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:00 pm

Thanks. I'm not seeing any CMB-DOH-DPS fares on google flights, so I assume this isn't possible.
On Qatar Airways?

QR has no fares for that route, so would say it is unlikely that it would be possible
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
might be possible on Etihad!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by ashkale
might be possible on Etihad!
zero chance via Doha on EY
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
zero chance via Doha on EY
DOH... Meant EY routing via AUH as I believe OP wants to maximise his flying. EY publishes fares for several Sea and far east destinations from Indian sub via Auh.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
FYI: Currently, DPS is only open when southerly and/or westerly winds blow.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
So I'm currently booked in J on EY DEL-AUH-CDG in Feb on an award. I saw the QR had some availability and thought I could switch the flights over to QR instead (slightly better schedule/equipment) but both agents I spoke to said that EY awards don't have the same 'change rules' as normal awards. I'm not changing the origin, destination, dates or class of service. Both advised I needed to cancel/redeposit and rebook with QR.

I mean, I'll be fine if this really is the case, just couldn't find anything in print stating this on their website.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:19 pm

It is correct that there is a fee to pay
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
It is correct that there is a fee to pay
Just for my own future reference, is that the case with awards on all of the affiliate (non-oneworld) carriers?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Just for my own future reference, is that the case with awards on all of the affiliate (non-oneworld) carriers?
Its not that EY has separate change rules per se, but changing from an all EY award to all QR award changes your award type from all partner (non-oneworld) to oneworld, so AA hits you with the fee.

Had you booked say BA DEL-LHR-CDG and wanted to change to QR, there would be no fee since both are all oneworld.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:43 pm

I have a question about this rule:

To price as a single award, AAdvantage requires the most significant carrier to publish a cash fare (non-constructed) between the origin and destination. Airline MSC would have to have a published fare from XXX to YYY that allows travel on all included airlines, and routing that you want. If the MSC only offers constructed fares between your desired origin and destination, AA will price this as two awards.
I am trying to fly SBY (regional airport, only has flight to/from PHL and CLT). No partner websites recognize SBY as an airport, so is there no possible way for me to get SBY-[PHL/CLT]- ... - SGN/HAN as one award unless I take AA metal over the Pacific?

Last edited by zhangg; Dec 28, 2017 at 8:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.